Replacing the coolant-bottle with a modified one - Installing the R&G Crashpads

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by irishrOy, Feb 18, 2018.

1. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    Thanks a lot on advance at you all guys, you've helped me out out a lot since I've been here. I wish I could give something back, though my knowledge with bikes and the Viffer is somewat limited, still :/ ;)

This is just a short question and more a small things that's been bugging me:

I recently got around and ordered the praised R&G Crashpads with that changed coolant-bottle.
    Now I "just" bought the bike a few months ago and the owner had done a big inspection at 24k km before handing it over to me.
    As far as I know the sparkplugs are new, valves have been checked and coolant as well as oil are new.
    I got enough Prestone-coolant here to completely change the coolant, but I just want to save myself the hassle of emptying, saving the coolant in a clean container and then using it again, if that's possible^^

And I was just wondering:
    Is there a way around emptying the entire coolant when I just want to replace the coolant-bottle with another one?

Now I am a complete and utter noob when it comes to mechanical stuff, so please, if I misunderstood something and you're dying of laughter, please bear with me :D

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    On the 5th gen I know that the coolant reserve bottle can be unbolted and emptied without draining the whole coolant system. I would suspect that the 6th gen is the same.

While the bike is cool do the following.

2 bolts hold the bottle to the frame. remove them first and then pour the coolant out of the top where you would otherwise add coolant. After you empty the bottle, remove the attached tubes.

That should be all you need to do to remove the coolant reserve bottle.

irishrOy likes this.
  3. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    ahhh, okydoke, that sounds relatively straight forward, thanks, man!

I didn't know if there was any "active" flow meaning if you took a tube off, coolant was either gonna come out or air might get sucked in.

But as that doesn't seem to be the case I am quite happy since it really seems uncomplicated :D

Gesendet von meinem Apollo Lite mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    The coolant should, for the most part, stay in the motor and radiators as long as it does not have a change in temperature. If you started the bike and warmed up the engine, the coolant would expand and push past the radiator cap at about 10psi or so.

Leave the cap on the radiator and you should have no problem with the coolant.

5. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    ah, right, yeah!
    I forgot the coolant-cap on the right radiator probably sealed it nice and tight, leaving no air in.

This might come off kinda stupid, but is the coolant expanding really that noticeable when looking at the reservoir-tank?

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe, maybe not. I really don't think it's very noticeable, and the lines
    are there to give you a range, kind of like the marks on the oil sight glass.

irishrOy likes this.
  8. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    that's what I thought, too. the lines are there to give you a rough range between you know the VFR is operating fine. if the coolant would expand as much as the upper and lower level are indicated, I think even slightly less coolant would mean a relatively big problem for the cycle.

Gesendet von meinem Apollo Lite mit Tapatalk

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Sorry, I overstated that. I was just referring to the fact that the Owner's Manuals state that the "Upper" mark is where it should be filled to "at the normal operating temperature". Inferring that you check after expansion of the fluid has taken place.

10. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    ah, okydoke, I know what you mean.

Actually didn't know one should measure the coolant at operating temp, so learned something new, I guess, thanks, man!