Review:'97 vfr

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by kenwood, Jun 15, 2010.

1. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    Well I’ve had the 1997 vfr750 running well for about 2 weeks now and it’s time to do a review on my impressions of the machine.

I’ve owned bikes since 1968.

1965 Honda Trail 90
    1966 Harley Davidson Sprint 250
    1973 Norton 850 Commando
    1973 Suzuki GT380
    1972 CB750 (wish I still had this one!)
    1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100
    1978 Yamaha xs1100
    1981 Suzuki gs450
    1982-Got married, sold bikes.
    2009-Got unmarried
    1986 VF500f
    1995 Nighthawk 750
    1997 vfr750

Was looking for the last year for either a Bandit 1200 or a ’97 vfr. I’m 6’7” and on the vf500 I looked like a monkey screwing a walnut. GSXR’s, r6’s and Ninjas were too tiny and common. After reading about the 4th gens on this forum, the vfr went to the top of the list.

I got the ’97 on craig’s list from a 68 year old retired chiropractor mid-May for $1,100. That’s not a misprint. He bought the bike a year ago, used up ¼ of a tank of gas; scared his self, dropped it in his driveway, and parked it under a tree in his backyard. The fairings were stained, cracked on the right side, the carbs were gunked, lots and lots of surface corrosion and was a happy home for spiders and mice. It has a Two Brothers full exhaust system installed, K&D air filter, carbon fiber front fender and hugger and a pearl white paint job. It has 16,800 miles on the odo.

I’ve done the following:
    Removed the spiders, mice and corrosion.
    Synth oil and brake fluid-flushed radiator.
    Repaired the body damage & paint.
    Added black decals.
    Installed new DB windscreen & bar-end mirrors.
    Braided SS brake and clutch lines.
    Front and rear wheel bearings.
    New sintered brake pads all around.
    Installed new black brake and clutch handles
    New front tire (Battleax to match the rear)
    Re-wired and heat sunk the r/r IAW VFRW.

I now have about $1,500 into the bike.

My impression of my first ride,

Walking up, it’s a nice looking bike, looks pretty up to date. The lines are clean and it looks like it wants to run. The big NACA intakes are a nice touch. The seat’s comfortable and padded right (at least for me). The handlebars are perfect for my long arms; I can sit upright without resting my weight on my wrists. With the stock mirrors all I could ever see were my shoulders, the Napoleon bar-end jobs work and look much better IMHO. My legs tuck neatly under the tank flare and I get a good solid feel from the foot pegs. Instruments are analog and easy to grok at a glance. I don’t care much for instruments that you have to “read” (i.e. digital) when I’m in traffic or at speed.

Start it up. The 2B’s exhaust is deceptively quiet at under 2k rpm. Sounds a lot like an old small block Chevy. The cam gears whirr, they’re a lot louder than chains. It warms up pretty fast compared to other Hondas I’m familiar with and I’m ready to roll in about 60 seconds. First seems geared a little low so I add power and work the clutch for a smooth pull out and I’m off.

The first thing you note is the smooth yet crisp steering. You feel in complete control and the bike’s inherent stability immediately gives you a flush of confidence. This is a rider’s bike! Acceleration is smooth and controllable as you ease into traffic. The bike feels light for pulling 750 lbs around.

Within two blocks I have my first cager pull out in front of me. Shit! The brakes are first rate and the suspension tracked predictably and well as I swerved behind him. On my Nighthawk I might have had a new hood ornament.

The bike shifts smoothly into second, but third is another story. I fiddle with it and find that if I lift up and in with the toe of my boot it clicks easily in to third. Doesn’t seem like a problem, it’s a used bike and I’ll get used to it. On to the freeway…

OMfG! I crack the throttle and this thing freakin’ moves! The pull is not jerky or neck snapping, kinda feels like when you’re being pulled out of the water skiing by a power boat. A big honkin’ power boat. The TB’s exhaust roars, not with that tinny zipper sound of the il4’s, no, this is different. A more visceral/primal sound. When you pass 3k on the clock it’s like you grabbed a tiger by the tail. At 105mph in 5th gear, I have to back it off, too much traffic. I drove it around for another hour, then back to the barn to see how everything held up.

I’m now glad I let you guys at VFRW talk me into this bike. Reading your posts over the last 8 months (since I got the vf500) you guys seemed a little, well how do I say this, fanatical about the 4th gens. It convinced me to take a chance on the vfr. I loved my little 500, and the Nighthawk is so predictable and calm, but this is what riding is all about. No kidding, I feel like I’m driving a two-wheeled Ferrari.

Next week I’m heading up to Julian for some hot apple pie. There are some nice twistys up in the mountains. Will let you know how it goes when I get the chance to knock the side knobbies off my new tires.

Before & after pics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All mine...at least until the new owner picks up the vf500 tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    Yuppers, love mine!:biggrin:

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not one to say I told you so.. But, I told you so. :biggrin: Still a bike that holds its own has a lot of soul too, even after 13-14 years. Now that's a color Honda should have had as a second option, nice score.

4. adamjenkins

adamjenkins New Member

Map
    I have to say that I had similiar feelings when I got my Gen 3. I am 6'3 and there arent to many bikes that fit me.
    Definetley a comfortable bike and plenty of power.. Not bad for 1100. bucks enjoy.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sweet. enjoyed your story!

6. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    Yeah, you guys were dead on. I was impressed with Honda for making a motorcycle that wasn't just a cheap knock-off of a racing machine, but instead, a bike that was designed from the ground up as a dedicated high performance street bike. The geared cams, the overbuilt upper cylinder oil channels, upright seating, great road manners etc. blew me away.

But the real seller was that functional NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) air duct! No shit. I'm an old airplane buff and that air intake was tried out on the f-86c (f-93) long range fighter in 1950. The only other production vehicle I know of that used it in a big way was the Camaro. I even found a website that offers 2, 3, and 4" NACA ducts for sale. Been thinking of a little 2" one to put over my R/R...

Anyway, thank you all for some great advice.

I'm glad I listened.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010