Review: Bridgestone BT21 Rear Tire

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Joey_Dude, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I know it's not standard practice to review one motorcycle tire but I have a Metzeler M3 in the front and I'm getting tired
    of burning up a rear every 3-4k miles. So I figured I'll just try out a new tire while I'm burning up the front.

As the title indicates I'm trying out a Bridgestone BT-21 rear tire based on two factors: it's designated as a sport-touring tire and it's cheap @ around $130 from ridedirect.com Some tires like the michelin cost more JUST for the front tire.

Pictorial of the progress:

I've been taking pictures of the rear at intervals to track the progress and you can see that they are a real durable tire especially compared to sport tires.

200 miles, they are getting broken in. Before that the grip wasn't fantastic:
    [​IMG]

1K miles with approx 800 of those being super-slabbing from atlanta to daytona beach I'm surprised to see they are holding a round profile and the grip is decent. I did have to ride a little in the rain and the grip is decent with the only slip being that I crossed a railroad track and the tire slid a little. But you know what? What tire is NOT going to slip on wet bare metal? One nice quality of the tire in super-slabbing is that it feels plush compared to the Metzler M3.
    [​IMG]

2K miles, with 80% of those being super-slabbing and rest city riding the center is starting show a little squaring, approximately 1 centimeter in width. So far they are holding up really well. At this point I'm expecting at least 6k miles total from this tire.
    [​IMG]

3k miles with more twisties than slabbing I have to say the 42 PSI is just too hard to spirited rides. The turns a little slow not to mention the grip doesn't feel inspiring. After some experimentation I've found that if you set the PSI to 36 they become a sport tire with excellent grip and quick turns. They still are holding up well.
    [​IMG]

4k miles with 75% twisties and 25% slabbing the tires are getting rounded out from the canyon carving and there's still plenty of tread left. The grip is still pretty good. Again, I experimented with tire pressures and have found 36 psi is ideal for sporty rides. 42 psi is best for super slabbing. At this point I'm expecting them to last at least 5k miles total.
    [​IMG]

5k miles, they are barely broken in. I'm amazed that the center is not worn that much at all. I've been pushing it harder on the twisties and I have to say there were a few times I almost felt like it was gonna slip. Because of this I have mixed reviews on this. But I'll keep on riding this tire until it's all done before giving a final verdict.
    [​IMG]

6k miles
    [TBD?]

Verdict so far:

I like them as a multi-purpose tire in that you can do both super-slabbing AND canyon-carving. The only caveat is to watch the PSI. When going super-slabbing they should be at 42 PSI to preserve premature wear to the center. But for the twisties lower the PSI to 36 because it allows the tire to turn much faster not to mention gain better grip. I've tried a spirited ride at 42 PSI but it's harder to turn not to mention the grip doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I think this is a good tire for those on a budget not only in that it's cheap but it lasts long.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Bump to let you all know I updated this thread with a 4k mile review.

3. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    Nice write up.

I went with the 021's front and back to replace the stock tires on my 06. FYI prices are better these days, I got the front and back for $175 shipped from jakewilsom with the promo code.

I'm riding down to Deals Gap in July for a week and I'm looking to see how they perform down there .For me I won't have a verdict on the tires until after my trip. I've been down there 4 or 5 times now on my Katana running Z6s or strada's and I'm looking forward to running the Cherohala on the viffer.

I'm use to getting about 10,000 miles out of a set on the Katana, we'll see how the viffer does with the 021s.

4. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    The stock BT020 rear lasted between 9-11K (don't remember), and I replaced it with an 021. I still have the original BT020 front on at 15K, although it just hit the wear bars and started getting a bit of head shake about 1K ago. I have a new 021 ready to go on the front, but I've been prolonging replacing it because I plan on servicing the forks at the same time.

Most off my riding, like 80-90%, has been highway. Given the weight of the bike and all the junk I usually take, these are by far the highest mileage tires I've ever had.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  5. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    I use my bike every day for commuting back & forth to work, fun on the weekends and all around anywhere I want to go rain and or shine. After burning through a set of tires in under 5k miles on my 06 my shop guy recommended the BT21 & I was hooked. got about 9800 before I changed it out and could have gotten another 12 to 1500 out of it. Got over 8k on Metz with my 07 but will be going back to the BT21 when it's time to change, which will be soon. Great tires for all purpose and at $110, you can beat that price. GET A SET

6. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

Thanks for the review. My 7th gen came with 021's and I always wondered how they'd hold up. Now I've got a good idea. Very informative!

7. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Bridgestone has already come out with the new replacement for the 21. Don't forget that tire has been out for at least 3-4 yrs. You'll be able to grab some 21s for cheap now that the BT23 is out.

8. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    nice writte up joey but ill have to stick to my michelin pilot road tires more millage

9. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Went to get a 21 yesterday & asked if they had 23's instock. They did and for only $20 more I went that route. 80 miles on them so far & i'll let ya'll know how they fair. I guess I could do that Pictorial of the progress thingy like Joey_Dude if you want.

10. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    I lub me some 21's! That's what I run on the VFR all the time and so far I've gotten 8k out of a rear. As far as grip goes, I had a 21 on the back of my Super Duke and it withstood some serious flogging in the mountains. I was trying to make it slip and it just wouldn't! Unfortunately I can't recall how long it lasted on the SD but I think it was 6k miles of aggressive riding (wheelies, burnouts, and all the bad things a high powered hooligan bike will make you do).

Bridgestone has definitely made some of my favorite tires ever. I run BT-003's on the track, BT-016's on the SD for sport riding, and BT-021's on the VFR for touring and wet weather. All of their tires perform amazingly well although I must admit the 003's disintegrate on the track without warmers.

11. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    I have 021s on my '97. Love the rear-HATE the front. Cupping POS. I only weight 135# and am religious about tire pressure.

12. whitevfr

whitevfr New Member

I bought a set of B-21's a year ago front and rear. Before this I was running Dunlop qualifiers. Got tired of replacing tires at 3k miles. Like other posters I wanted a tire that would last longer and BT-21's are cheap so went with them. Verdit after 6k miles, they last twice as long as the qualifers BUT the compound is to hard and I lose grip in the twisties, I feel the front tire giving way and have to back off. Killed my confidence in doing hard lean angles. I will not being buying this tire again. Qualifiers wore down quick but I could push the bike into hard lean angles and not lose grip, confidence inspiring. Going try the new duel compound qualifers, harder middle (longer lasting) but soft sides for cornering. I do not recommend B-21's for people that like to push thier bikes in the twisties.

13. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Sounds like you need a secon set of tires. ! for you day to day & 1 for twisties.

14. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Bump to let you know I added a picture @ 5k miles.

15. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    try a BT-015 on the front instead.

16. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Joey, nice write up. with that price I can get two vs. one Pilot road2 :)

17. plasma

plasma New Member

Map
    Good post , I find the front 021 poor.

Plasma.