Review - Trick Bitz (Proline Engineering) Bar Risers

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Zammin, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Zammin

Zammin New Member

Hello everyone

Here's another product review with pics.

I should probably mention I am not affiliated with any companies/manufacturers, I write these reviews with the sole purpose of providing information to other VFR owners.

This time I've purchased some bar risers for my recently acquired 6th gen VFR800. Hopefully these, along with the lowered foot pegs I reviewed previously will help provide some additional comfort for my tall frame (6'3").

The bar risers are sold by trick--bitz on ebay (Proline Engineering in the UK) and provide 20mm spacing between the triple clamp and clip-ons. This kit does not require any modification or additional components to install. The reason I chose these risers over the well-known Gen Mar brand of risers is that this model comes with screw in hex caps that look much more 'factory' than the flat plugs on other models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kit also came with clear instructions and torque specs.

Installation was simple for the clutch side (left), but a little more complicated on the brake side (right). On the clutch side it was just a matter of pulling the clutch hose and wiring through just a little bit to gain some slack, then remove the steel retaining ring and undo the 12mm pinch bolt and slip the clip-on bar off the fork. From there it's just a matter of dropping the spacer in (with the locating stud in it's place on the triple clamp), installing the clip-on bar on top of the spacer and dropping the threaded inner collar into the clip-on with the threads facing up.

[​IMG]

Finish the clutch side by tightening the the pinch bolt to 14ft-lb and fastening the hex cap cover by hand. I don't recommend using tools to tighten the hex cap since this will make gaining access to the adjusters on your forks unnecessarily more complicated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

installing the brake side is the same as the clutch side, however there's a cable tie holding the throttle cables to the fork which needs to be removed and replaced, and also the brake hose caused me some difficulty. The hose did not have enough slack to remove the clip-on bar so I had to undo the bolts holding the brake line bracket to the lower triple clamp to temporarily gain some extra slack. This can be reinstalled after the riser is fitted. Once this was done I was able to get the clip-on bar off and the spacer installed exactly like the clutch side. Don't forget to put your steel retaining rings away somewhere where they won't be lost, just in case you choose to revert to stock.

Here are some pics of the risers installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had no clearance issues with these installed, however depending on the angle of your brake and clutch master cylinders/levers on the bars, you may need to adjust them slightly.

Sitting on the bike I can feel a noticeable difference in forward lean. It's certainly not upright but a noticeable reduction in lean on the wrists. Something to note is that because of the angle of the forks, bringing the bars up by 20mm actually brings them a little bit further back as well.

Hopefully this review (and somewhat of an installation guide) was helpful to you. Thanks for reading.

VFRIRL likes this.
  2. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for your review. Without seeing the in-between pictures of how that it all goes together, I am having difficulty in understanding how it is all held together (top and bottom). I am guessing that the triple clamp is grabbing a little of both (fork and top spacer/cap)??

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    These are pretty much the same as the Gen Mar risers. Simple & effective. Even more effective when used with a seat that doesn't have as much of a downward angle as stock.

I just noticed something in the last pic. Is that a flash to pass button located on the left switch pod ahead of the Hi/Low beam switch?

4. Zammin

Zammin New Member

Nah that's not quite how it's fitted. It's quite simple really, the riser is essentially a 20mm spacer that is sandwiched between the triple clamp and the clip-on bar. There is a collar that acts as an extension to the fork (to give the clip-on more area to clamp to) and a cap on top to keep it looking like stock.

Indeed they are pretty much exactly the same as Gen Mar risers, but IMO the threaded hex cap looks much nicer than the plug that normally comes with risers. :)

Yep, that's a pass button. Is it not standard on the US model?

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    No, US spec models don't have it.

6. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Anyone know where I could get a replacement screw in cap for these risers on a 5th gen with 41mm forks? I seem to have lost the screw in cap of one of mine along the road somewhere. Tried the seller Trikbitz on ebay but no response.