Ride from Central Coast to Washing State

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by SLOVFR, Jul 11, 2008.

1. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ride from Central Coast to Washington State

Reg71 .... we still doing this?? Plans? Dates? People?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah. my european vacation got nixed so I have time off. I plan on doing it as cheap as possible, though, so don't expect caviar and marriot suites. what day can you leave? the kids fly back to missouri on the 23rd.. I work the 24th but I could leave to 25th... You?

3. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I was working the Car Cruise and Car Show with the Police Dept but I can cancell that so the 25th would work for me. Cheaper the better! Tori just brought over my new rear tire this morning mounted up, a Dunlop D220. More of a touring tire for the trip and school if it last by the time we make it back. I have a new front one coming as well. Over at VFR discussion they are having a meeting up in oregon around this time too. I suggested we meet up but not sure where yet, any interest?

4. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, we have quite a list of folks that have shown interest in coming! This PM is going out to those listed below.
    My contact info:

Keith Matteson
    271 NE 121st Street
    Newport, OR 97365
    phone: 541-270-6460
    email: keithbob@charter.net

The dates are: Friday, July 25 through Sunday July 27.

The plan is to have everyone come to my house on Friday, and all can crash on my floors or camp in my backyard. Plenty of room. There are hotels/motels in Newport also, just google on Newport, OR motels and you'll get plenty. I recommend the La Quinta, but the Penny Saver, the Willers, and several others are clean and not too spendy. Contact me if you need help.

On Saturday we will all go for a ride which may be based on our PNW II ride, or maybe not! Then on Sunday we'll have a big breakfast at Georgie's and say goodbye, though I'd love to lead some of you out by some fun roads.

So far, here's my list of interested folks:

Silver#788
    Darth Bling
    cassandtim
    GypsyCat
    brokendean
    V-FORE
    JP55
    VFOr
    viffer05
    magellan
    Flailer
    SLO97VFR

So, George, your suggestion for a little get-together is turning into something great! Thanks to everyone for showing interest - I'm really looking forward to this as is Jalene. Bring those spouses and sweeties if you can, too.

Ride safe!
    Keith

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, it's cool with me if we try and make it up there for part of their ride. are you bringing the GPS? we might need it... anyway, I'm probably not packing too much. mostly just clean drawers and a couple pairs of pants and shirts and some shorts. I'll be wearing leather when riding so I'll need somethign to change into. Dunno if I'm even bringin the mondo super tank bag... it annoys me... dont let me forget camera and cell phone for GP sunday!

6. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Should be a great trip guys.... I used to live in Newport, OR. The guy that owned the Penny Saver Motel used to live accross the street. In fact, my mom was dating him for a bit. LOL. Small world. Have fun guys. Its a beautiful country up there.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    i hope it all goes well and i dont add any new scratchs to the bike... i need to get a throttle thingy asap though....

8. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ok so Reg we need to get together and plan an attack route? Are we staying some where along the way? Slab it up there? Wh has the bed and breakfast for us :)

9. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Regi?? Anyone, Staying options? Do I need to pack a tent and sleeping bag?

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I was just thinking the same thing earlier... How far can you do in a day? I can do 500 miles without too much trouble and probably a little further with just a little bitching. I was thinking I may strap a sleeping bag on the rear seat. I'm not sure I'll have a lot to spare on a room (then I couldn't afford strippers). Plus, I kind of like the idea of riding our bikes through the wilds and camping out kind of like in 'the long way round' but we stay on asphalt and ride better bikes. Can you camp at crater lake? can we make it in one day? Is it cold?

I just came down 25 this am on the way back from SF (3rd time up north for me when we head out fri) Anyway, I was thinking of heading up on parallel roads up the center of the state towards sac then on through maybe having to catch i5 up there until OR unless you know some good other raods to get us from CA to OR. How far is your brother's?

What time Friday? I was thinking we should head out early but I know you usually get up at what like 10 am or something? I usually get up around 7 on my days off. I still dont have an installed vista cruise so I may try and get on on last minute like. Are you packing chain lube in your mondo bags or should I? I have fix a flat and the plug kit. better bring your pump in case we have to do that again. I work tomorrow so I'll start packing my gear when I get home. I'll probably pack some tonight, too.

So are you riding back with me also or are you coming back at a different time? I think the norcal road trip that was gonna be a part of this may just be you and me if I understood RW right. We'll see I guess. You are not going as far as WA either, right?

11. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ok Ill stop by big 5 and see if I can get a light weight bag and tent. We can leave early as that is fine with me. I can ride 500 miles so it should not be an issue. If you just want to play it by ear were we stop is fine. Ill take the GPS and maybe it can help fine a spot to stay at night unless we find some members along the way to visit. I can pack some chain lube, maybe find a smaller can of it. The VFRD guys are meeting this weekend in Newport Or. so I dont know if you want to head that way first or not. My brother lives in The Dalles on the Columbia River and he has room for us there if you want to go. I would like to go up to Washington as well. What part are you heading to? and when are you planning on coming back?