riding gear woes

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by experience780, Jun 8, 2013.

1. experience780

experience780 New Member

So I want to be safe when riding, I really do. However when pricing some gear to keep my ass attached to the rest of me I've come to the conclusion that I may have to borrow money from the bank........while armed....... with a ski mask. There is no way I make enough money to buy anything :frown: guess I better just be as safe as possible and make my peace with god lol

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    get a decent brain bucket/skid-lid/pudding bowl for your noggin...make sure you take a MSF course near you too.

3. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I know how you feel.....:pound:
    I am consider myself a gears whore. I know there are no perfect gears but I am still attract to those high end gears like addiction with crack. I have a problem I think I need to see a shrink or may be Randy for help :rofl:

5. experience780

experience780 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I have the brain bucket, I just can't see riding without at least that (hate to ruin such a pretty face, and superior intellect lol). Its just the jackets and pants and such that is rough on a poor country boy.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There are plenty of places to get decent gear without breaking the bank. Some even offer gear on consignment. Check out MotorcycleGear.com for one. Also check out Competition Accessories, they have Kevlar lined pants for less than $80, it's better than wearing street jeans. Another option is to check out the local shops and peek at their close out racks. I bought almost all of my gear either on close out or at some discount.

Don't let the cost of gear prevent you from wearing any, buy it one piece at a time if you have to. Make sure you at least buy a good helmet first.

Cheers

7. Scubalong

United States
    May I suggest another solution?
    If you sign up on ADV forum go to flee market section there are tons of gears for sale
    These are generally from big retired guys that have a lot of money to burn they switch out gears like under wear
    If you wear l or Xxl they are all over. Good luck

8. experience780

experience780 New Member

So there is no safety issue buying used stuff. Huh, I was thinking of it like buying a used car seat for a baby...frowned upon

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As long as it hasn't been through an accident there's nothing to worry about. Gear that has been through an accident is more than likely still good, you just have to be aware of the damage it sustained. Many track riders wear the same suit even after major crashes, until it finally gives up the ghost.

10. experience780

experience780 New Member

Cool, good to know. That opens my options quite a bit really. I hate to be a cheap bastard but it seems other people need my money more than they think I do.

11. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd rather buy good brand name used gear than new cheap gear and have the seams come apart, ya really do get what ya pay for, eh.

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I agree with OOTVS. It is never too late to start buying proper gear. With the helmet, buy the absolute best you can afford. NOT USED. The helmet should be new and also replaced from time to time depending on how much you ride and what the environment is like where you ride.

The absolute next vital piece of gear to get is a good jacket. Or at least, get a really good armour vest to wear under your jacket. Your core is almost as vital as you knoggen. Then work your way out to your extremities as you can, but as soon as you can, with the best you can.

You might want to post up in the classified section what you are looking for, what your budget is and your size. Like mentioned before, there are people out there who may have what you want and at a fraction of the cost. These guys usually have been infected with that damned disease that causes the belly to bloat.

13. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, I agree with everything said so far.

The helmet is the most critical piece of gear, and buying one used can be risky. I have bought used helmets before, but it took a lot of searching to find a seller that I trusted. Any signs of damage or repainting means an instant refusal. Funky smells or worn pads is a turn off for me too.

For the rest of the gear, buying gently used is a great way to get really nice gear at a fraction of the retail price. The same guidelines used for helmets apply, no funky smells, no signs of abuse or crashes, etc.

As far as which gear to get first: I'd say helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants. (Some say pants before boots, but I've seen really messed up ankles and feet after crashes where the rider was trapped between the bike and the pavement.)

14. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    As long as a helmet is DOT and Snell approved it will protect your melon. When you start paying big money for a helmet you are mostly paying for better comfort, more ventilation, fancy paint job, lighter materials, etc...however, that DOT and Snell approved $150.00 HJC will protect you just fine. You do not need a $500.00 Shoei or Arai.

Also, some good deals at Motorcycle Closeouts. I bought a jacket less that half price before.

15. Scubalong

United States
    I know someone just bought a helmet for $600 clamps :rolleyes:
    Soooo pretty :love:

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    OK. I agree. With all of it. But I need the extra ventilation, the lightest helmet for neck issues and, for fuck sake, I just like the graphics. Makes it so my ass does not look so big.

17. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Methinks you are placing your helmet on the wrong end... :tongue:

18. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    Buy the best you can get with what you can afford. Good riding gear is an investment in your safety. The trendiest gear always costs more but it's not necessarily the best (or the safest). Apart from yer helmet, you can get good quality 2nd hand gear for a fraction of the original outlay.

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    In all fairness, used or the more PC term "previously owned" gear can be great but IMO does not extend to used skivvies and sox.. or other more personal attire worn by some.

20. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    You do not need a $500.00 Shoei or Arai.

If you're gonna blow money on one thing, I disagree: Shoei and Arai make great products. I'll never buy anything but an Arai helmet, and I'm poor as hell. The fit, the warranty, the dozens of riders I've met that have smashed their faces through things in wrecks wearing them and come out unscathed; it all adds up.