Riding out to North East States, Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by JRotten, Jun 6, 2007.

1. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Beginning the last two weeks of June, I will venture out east to explore some states that I have not been at yet. Still undecided where or what I want to see, but I would like to check out NY, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine for the first week of my vacation. The second week I will be at the 2007 STAR which is being held at Asheville NC.

Is there any must see areas or must ride roads in the North East states? All suggestions welcomed.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  2. geo w.

geo w. New Member

not a great ride, it's pretty flat, but beautiful. on your way south you could divert through gettysburgh. later on you'll probably get pretty close to antitam too.

maybe it's just me, but it gets more intersting every year.

3. keb1209

keb1209 New Member

In comparison to Illinois, the northeast is FAR from flat. I grew up in RI but I moved to Chicago over 7 years ago. I never rode a motorcycle until two months ago, so I honestly couldn't point you to any particular roads out that way. Try posting in the regional forums and hopefully you'll get some decent responses.

4. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Will you be riding to Asheville from the NE?

5. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

There are some killer roads in the northeast Southern states. The Blue Ridge Prkwy has some great twisties and no holes.

6. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    If you come up to Maine you should check out Mount Desert Island and take a ride through Acaidia National park you won't regret it. Just make sure you ride to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

7. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    Southwest NH is nice. Cops generally give you 15 over. Vermont is fabulous. Rte 100. Take some side rides up and over the Green Mts Also, you can pass on the double yellow line legally in VT. Only illegal if specifically posted, like when you are going through a downtown. NH seacoast is a tourist clusterfark. Maine seacoast is much nicer. NH White Mts are nice. Franconia Notch, Twin Mt, Crawford Notch. Ride up Mt Washington...its worth it. Lake Winnepausaukee is also a tourist nightmare...stay clear or ride with great caution there.

8. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    The mountains and Piedmont of Virginia is some nice riding. Blue Ridge Parkway is slow but beautiful. Have a good trip.

9. PhatPat33

PhatPat33 New Member

For some valuable information about riding in the North East, check out
    www.newenglandriders.org. There is some information including S&T files, Mapsource Files, etc. in the "Rides, Routes, Destinations" folder on the left side. Hope this helps.

10. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Virginia and Maryland have lots of speedtraps, especially if you stay on the Interstate highways or major roadways, bring along your get-out-of-jail-card.

11. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Yeah, I will most likely avoid the large city areas since I hate traffic. I am on a quest of riding great roads.

12. kajinvfr

kajinvfr New Member

3 of us are leaving northeast oklahoma on july 13th to head for the dragon and all roads that we can find and ride until we return on the 22nd. will anyone be heading that way.anyone os welcome.phone number is 918 825 7861.we are 40 miles west of springdale arkansas and 4o miles south of the kansas line.

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    -On your way east cut through southeast Ohio and West Virginia - my playground. If you could swing in Ohio 78 - It'll blow you away.
    Let me know if you would like more suggested roads.

MD

14. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Your best bet in Vermont?

Definitely Smuggler's Notch, right in the center of the state. Don't know where you're coming from, but get on Route 108 in Jeffersonville, and head towards the ski area/Stowe. The notch road is a very popular ride, around boulders and super steep grades. Really awesome - makes Crawford Notch look like a highway from Iowa.

Other great roads in Vermont include route 36 between St. Albans and wherever it ends, Route 58 in northern VT (off of route 100). Route 100 is OK, but pretty torn up most of the time. Route 105 is pretty nice, connects with 36 and 108. Route 15 traverses the state east/west, and is usually nice.

Route 2 is also pretty popular on 2 wheels, but follows the highway (89) quite a bit. It's like you're on the highway, but going slower.

15. RE-Agent

RE-Agent New Member

Checking in from Maryland here... He's right about our speedtraps especially on a nice day. Congestion is heavy here too. I think VT, NH, ME & NY are great choices.

16. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    JR -- Check out this link. It's updated constantly by riders all over the US. Great tips. Just click on the states you plan to ride in.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I got a tip for you:

Avoid NJ like the plague. That is all.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

18. JRotten

JRotten New Member

I leave tommorow and the first day will take me to Syacuse NY (about 850 miles. The second day, plan riding through part of NY Adirondack mountains, then into Vermont. Which is better route in Vermont, route 108 or route 2? I will then travel through Hew Hampshire making a stop at Mt Washington for some photos. I will finish the second day near Rumford Maine (meeting a friend there). The third day will take me to Acadia NP and then along the coast line for search of one of those famous Maine lobster dinners.

After that, I will take two days traveling south to Asheville NC to check in for the 2007 STAR and pick up my new VFR that I will win (I wish).

If you happen to see me riding, be sure to get my attention and say hello.

19. PhatPat33

PhatPat33 New Member

Not sure which route is better (108 or 2 in Vermont), but make sure you call the Mt. Washington Auto road before you go up to see if they are allowing motorcycles up. It is quite an enjoyable ride up there. Bring your kickstand plate because it's all gravel up top. Don't forget to get one of these candids

[​IMG]
    WDGAH 4 Me at the Summit of Mt. Washington

Mt Washington Auto Road phone number: Phone: (603) 466-3988
    you might wanna put it in your cel and call that morning.

20. scramblerone

scramblerone New Member

Stop in camden Me onyour way too Mnt Desert Island, stop at Chappys Chowder House.. best clam chowder in Me.. Place next door to LLBean has really good stuff too in Freeport. Blue Hill is south of Mnt Desert Island and I always had fun around that area. Ride Safe!!!