Rotated the Lowering links!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by mmcinnis1, May 7, 2008.

1. mmcinnis1

mmcinnis1 New Member

:biggrin:

I have a 30" inseam and weigh 130lbs. I rotated the triangles and dropped the front 10mm. It made a world of difference in stopping/maneuvering. Handling at low/high speed is much improved as well. I originally dropped the front 20mm to match the rear and the bike felt like it wanted to fold up. The steering was not neutral at all. 49 mm from the triple clamp to the indent on the tube for the clip-on retainers. Real nice. Bike is stable and goes easily where you point it. Low speed maneuvering is so much better.

It was pretty easy to do too.

I have to set the preload on the rear now but the bikes don't come with the wrench anymore. I ordered one but does anyone have a shortcut way to adjust the rear preload on a non-abs??

2. Mac

Mac New Member

Try a double folded shop rag, and a pair of channel lock pliers.
    I have so far been unable to reconnoiter an acceptable spanner wrench.

Mac

3. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Place the bike on the center stand, to unload the rear suspension. As already stated, channel locks work great. My bike came with the factory tool kit which has the spanner wrench needed. Sometimes you can't get in there with the channel locks, a punch and hammer may work too. But you don't want to damage the ring or tabs.

4. mmcinnis1

mmcinnis1 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Divingbiker

Divingbiker New Member

Have you got a picture of how it looks now lowered? That would help to compare.

6. mmcinnis1

mmcinnis1 New Member

You can't really see much difference but you can definately feel it height and performance wise. There's a reason everything is done in mm. Just a few mm make a big difference!

Originally, I dropped the front end 20mm to match and it sucked bad. I read of other people having the same issue of it being too much. Some of the people that are saying you have to match the front and back. I don't think it is correct for this year/gen. Somehow it is not a linear thing. My stock tree to clip-on retainer ring height was 39mm and that corresponds exactly to what I've read. I dropped to 59mm to match the 20mm drop in the rear and the bike was awful. I decided to split the difference and go 10mm total on the front and see what the handling was like. I didn't know then if I went too low or not enough. I know now that it was too much. I read somewhere about someone else that went to 49mm and really liked it as well.

It turns easily and balanced yet I can confidently take both hands off the bars now and it is steady as a rock.

I'm workin' on pix.

Last edited: May 8, 2008