RR Issue fix for 90' - 2003 VFR

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by VeryFastRocket, Nov 10, 2015.

1. VeryFastRocket

VeryFastRocket New Member

Hey guys,

I am not sure if this is common knowledge but I found this article relating to Regulator issues with the VFR 90-2003 series.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/known-issues/common-tech-issue?model=242

article tldr: The underlying regulator issues are caused by a combination of a bad wiring harness vulnerable to corrosion and water damage combined with a poor earth for the regulator.

He also mentioned something about vfr owners washing their bikes too much, like it's a bad thing!

Makes sense I guess, what do you guys think?

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep pretty much spot on.. ;) I've had 3 actual VFrs, and one was a VF. First vfr I bought used and it came with this issue, yep wires corroded, more than likely by the looks of it, it was due to water, either washed or left out, don't matter it's the main reason. Could, Should Honda have done something, you bet, re locate it, but they didn't. It was an easy enough fix as the problem was the plug, then that took out the RR. Next vfr was a new 96 never had an issue in the 40k I had it, but then two things here, One, I don't ride in the rain unless it came unexpected, even in that I got out of it asap. Second, 90% of the time I dry wash my bikes. and when I did use a hose, I never applied a jet seam of water any were near the under the seat, for the most part when water was used, it was for a back wash of the radiator to get the bugs out. so yes I get the water causes the problem from the get go. Again could Honda have done something.. you bet, but they didn't. Next vfr was a 97 in pristine condition one owner bought used, the issue showed up after an additional 19K two years later was put on it. I knew it could bite me but figured it was a long shot since the bike came from Phoenix. Even with that one the same care was taken, just took a while longer for the corrosion that wasn't seen behind the rubber boot to take hold. Now this 5th gen I recently acquired looks good, no corrosion that I can see, so will be interesting how long it will hold out, being I haven't had this one for any time to determine it's timeline if, I'm pretty sure it will, so no biggy I'm on it. this hic-up just comes with owning one of these stallions. Yea the article spells it out fairly well I'd say.