Rumours of servicing difficulties

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Stormcloud, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Stormcloud

Stormcloud New Member

Have heard that VTEC bikes cam covers are not removable with engine insitu - surely not!
    Also, at 24,000km, does the VTEC have to have special, labour intensive, service work done?
    Does this mean it's expensive to service compared to the pre-vtec models?
    Anyone?

I've a 98 at the moment, thinking of upgrading in future.

Cheers, Justin

2. Jozef

Jozef New Member

I've been following a discussion thread on a Brit sight where all this was raised. After reading every post and there were a lot, it came down to this. The engine stays in the frame, the service isn't that difficult, the 16,000 service will be slightly more expensive then a "normal" service. While the 16,000 service will be more expensive it will be less over alll then servicing a regular valve train twice. I would like to be the first to coin the phrase "V-TEC Hysteria." Seems to me that some are blaming anything and everything on V-TEC. As with anything newly introduced, as V-TEC itself is not new, dealers and owners will have a learning curve. I have known a lot worse bikes to service.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

NOT wanting to start hysteria if can help it, but want information.

Some of use our bikes as our main or only form of transport - so things like servicing complexity or cost are important in making a bike purchase.

I've nothing against VTEC, but wonder if the added complexity is worth the benefit when long term ownership is considered.

The cost, regularity or servicing, and the complexity of an engine's moving parts puts me and others off owning bikes like Ducati's. There's nothing wrong with them, but dont suit my needs.
    If the VTEC add's similar cost/time then another bike may be better to update to.

Cheers, and thanks for the info.

4. Jozef

Jozef New Member

Hope you didn't think I was just giving you a hard time. I checked with the dealer I bought the bike from, they sold one V-TEC, mine. The other local dealer sold one V-TEC as well so in this area I don't have an experienced dealer to ask but I asked any way. They gave me a price of around $250 for the 16,000 service and said that they didn't have to remove the engine. I've paid more and I've paid less so I am not alarmed by the cost particularly because it doesn't come til 16,000 miles. The hardest part with V-TEC is the actual buckets that may need replaced, but both dealers have been told by Honda that that should be very rare. One caveat though from my personal experience as a former Ducati owner and a Honda owner over the years. Ducatis are very expensive to maintain but you know the costs up front. Honda has a habit of having surprise costs that you find out after the bike is in the shop. Personally my 2002 has run great, performed well, and I am planning for the 16,000 service. 2003 should be the year when we begin see what the various dealers are doing with the service. Hopefully it will be a non-event.

5. Stormcloud

Stormcloud New Member

No worries. It's good to have dialogue.
    I'm not against VTEC, and have a friend who absolutely loves his bike (12,000km so far).- he also has a S2000 VTEC and an AWD CRV VTEC, so I think I can safely say he is sold on the concept.

The principle has been around for ages now - in the NSX and civic for years. Havent heard of any problems, ever.

You've got it spot on:- we will start to see if servicing is an issue as those of you lucky enough to have one start to get around to the big service.
    I was mainly wondering about how much validity (or not..) some of those rumours had.

Cheers,
    Stay safe,
    Justin.

6. Abigdiesel

Abigdiesel New Member

Talked to a few mechs in my area about this too. the 98-01 is supposed to take about 4 hours to do the 16,000 service. the 2002-present is supposed to take 6-8 hours. this was on a dealer labor chart. also I have not found a dealer that will do the service for less than twice the amount of a pre-01 vfr. just had my 98' done for $200, and my 02' quoted for $400. I dont think this is grounds to eliminate the new vfr's from consideration when upgrading, just dont expect any repairs or maintnence to be the same as pre-01 viffer. i would personally rather have full time valves. you put 16 valves on a motor, why not run them all the time? just my thought though.

7. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    Hey...it's only money and once you experience that VTEC kick...well, you'll find it mildly erotic ::)