Running Lean, overheating.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Guest, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys!
    Does anybody know where do I adjust the Air/fuel mixture on the carbs for a '86 750? I have a haynes manual for my bike but I cant figure out where. My bike is overheating and it seems to be that the bike is running too lean because my pipes are heating up very quickly at idle, the bike revs up very fast, and my cooling system is working just fine (had it checked).
    Thanks! (pics if possible)

2. mozilla.v4snob

mozilla.v4snob New Member

Sergio. I hope you get some decent riding time between fixing these problems. It's nice weather here in UT and I'm stuck in the office all day. The air/fuel mixture for your bike is adjusted by changing the jets inside the carbs. The main and secondary jets control the amount of fuel that is sent up from the float bowl once the throttle is opened. Kits are available online from just about any parts retailer. www.ronayers.com is a great place to look around. If you call their toll-free number and talk to one of the parts guys, they can tell you the stock jet sizes (they are numbered in succession based on size) If your bike is running too lean, a larger number/size jet will be necessary to richen the mixture. The jets are not hard to change once you get the carbs off the bike, the main challenge is picking the right size. Some considerations to make would be your location(altitude, average humidity, etc) modifications to the bike(air filter, ram air, exhaust mods, hotter spark plugs, etc) and your budget. The jet kits i've seen are around $12-14 and can be more depending on the manufacturer. It may also be worth your $$ to take the bike to a dyno or bike tuning shop(BMW and Triumph dealers usually know what they're doing, Stay away from Harley dealers) or look on Ebay for the shop that specializes in servicing V4 carbs. I think their E-Bay name is Classic Cycle Parts and here's a link to their store http://stores.ebay.com/Classic-Cycle-Parts_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

If you call them up, they will make suggestions on what service they could offer to help you out, including carb vacuum synchin and changing the jets. The "whole ball of wax" service is kinda pricey, but these guys specialize in fixing carbs. Other than that, you might try some cooler spark plugs or an octane booster in your fuel. Keep in mind it's not going to make a big difference, but it might richen the mixture just enough to cool your bike down. Good luck

3. Guest

Guest Guest

;D Got it working!
    Thanks for your help Mozz...
    Actually all I did was replace the fuel pump.
    It wasnt pushing enough fuel to keep the engine cool!
    so I was running lean. New pump... almost feels like a new bike!
    Now if i could only find a set of used stock (unstripped) or aftermarket pipes? That would finish off the project!
    The previous owner stripped the pipes and it sounds like sh*t. I would really like a nice revvy sport growl and not the nasty uneven almost "harley-type" of noise that im getting. You know... if I wanted a Harley exhaust then I would have bought a Harley!