Safety wire a 6th gen ANYONE??

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by 02 VFR Rider, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

Has anyone here every safety wire a 6th gen for racing?
    I have do a oil cooled GSXR but that is about it.
    I looked into track days and w/ all the rules and no timing allowed its just not for me.
    so after looking into things I can run open testing as long as I bring proof I have passed a road racing course. Cheaper to run open test day VS track day.

so anyway, what on the engine would have to be safety wired, any bolts that have an oil passage under them?

Thanks for the help.

2. betarace

betarace New Member

Check you club rules. But in general the oil filter, drain plug and cap are musts as are the radiator cap and catch bottle top.

Usually a water clamp on the filter going to the plug is a good way of doing it.

Fwiw in the absence of direct guidance from your club or track, the WERA Rulebook has a decent guid with specific inventory and examples. WERA goes to most largish tracks across the country

3. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    PITA for an every day bike. Good luck brother. Not hard, just tedious and time consuming.

4. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

will be alot easier then my old oil cooled GSXR thats for sure

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Its easy. Like Beta said, oil drain plug drilled twice on each hexaginal would work well for flexibility. A large hose clamp on ur earl filter then wired to a stationary point. Radiator cap drilled on the very end of the wing with a nice small Hoe then wired to a stationary point. Catch bottle? not a big deal. Mine wasnt. That be about it as far as the cloudy burnt out brain cells can recollect. :smile: there is no substitute for track time, its gona make you a better all around rider. Make sure you got race compound tyres on ur scooter, makes a big difference and worth the moo-lah.

6. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I got all the basic stuff like oil filter and such, its the engine ( bolts that have oil passages under that kind of stuff)
    my goal is to get within 5 seconds a lap against my old race GSXR, time to see what a 6th gen can do.

7. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Never understood why they make you safety tie and oil filter if that thing is even that loose you got bigger problems than it backing out all those threads.. Your engine is going to come to a grinding halt before that filter drops out on the track.

8. betarace

betarace New Member

To be honest with you, I have been riding on the track for 5 years now, and every year without exception I have witnessed an oil filter or drain plug fail due to no wire. BAsed on reports on my clubs forum it happens about 3-4 times per year across 200 track dates each with about 100 riders.

Well worth the 5 mins it takes to do.

9. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Ignorance:
    Many fasteners are not necessarily tested for sustained high rpm vibration. The safety wire is not for your safety but for the safety of the other riders on the track. There is a big difference between blowing an engine and having someone crash because your engine puked on the track.

It is the same reason that water cooled engines run water in the rather than antifreeze.

10. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

You mean to tell me you have seen the Oil filter laying out on the track. I want pictures. A safety wire is too keep the parts on the bike it does nothing to keep the idiot behind the maintenance not tighting it down properly. It does not keep the filter captive the threads do that the wire just keeps it from loosing further or falling off. If it was not properly installed it will still puke oil all over the track.

If the engineers are not testing them at sustained high rpm vibrations we got problems.... Generally the service manual states check all engine and frame bolts for a reason. And if people followed manuals we would have a lot less problems.

Its more of an association covering its ass rather than verified that the work was done properly. I don't think the track inspection will want to check torque specs on all those bikes so they just say safety wire is a visual inspection method. So its assumed that if its safety wired it must be safe, WRONG.

I will admit it does help in the fact that usually it forces the racer/mechanic to do a check point and hope that he checks that point before wire wrapping

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  11. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Your two statements contradict each other. The point in safety wire is for both. You have to wire the essential stuff (and some extra) that you are always taking on and off of the bike, performing maintenance on, etc. It is easy to forget to torque something down in the chaos that can happen between sessions, the night prior, etc. The wiring process (if you take it seriously) gives you a checklist to go over as far as making sure everything is torqued down and tightened properly. The wiring itself helps prevent some of these nuts and bolts from backing off and helps prevent random parts from flying everywhere in the event of an accident.

12. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Hi ignorance, why don't you ask the folks over at WERA forums and see what their take is.

Perhaps you will hear a story about an oil filter puking oil. Some good photos of the wiring are here:ROGUE RC51.org Safety Wiring Guide

And yes running an engine at 9000 rpm for extended periods of time does allow some fasteners to work loose. Which ones?

Good luck on your quest for safety.

13. betarace

betarace New Member

Indeed I have. No pictures were taken due to traveling at 100-150mph and avoiding an oil slick on the race line.

The WERA manual has an inventory of all things that should be wired.

14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Ignor I take it you haven't raced much or at all. You'd be surprised the parts that fall off bikes that were securely installed. I endurance raced for years. Even in sprint races parts came off. The best way to stop that is blue loctite on every nut, bolt and stud along with safety wiring.

The engineers do testing for street bikes. Racing puts a lot more stress on everything and surpasses where street test ends.

02 VFR Rider don't forget things like axle nuts/shafts, exhaust cans, brake/clutch mc caps (tape). Blue loctite everything! I'd like to hear later if you made your goal of the 5 secs from the GSXR. Have fun.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    No wiree, no racee is the nice way to put it. Or, if any of you dudes want to run at PIR and deal with Bobby H. the referee and tell him you don't think ya need to be wired, good luck and head for the grandstands.

Castellated Nuts

16. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

My issue is with the practicality only with the wire tie of the oil filter only. If only the track officials would verify these items were tested with torque wrench then a lot of problems would be eliminated. But they leave it to often unqualified people to perform the bike preparations. So the wire tie assume practice is still valid. It doesn't prevent the guy from just grabbing a wire and looping it around the hose clamp and slipping it on his oil filter. If inspection would have proof of torqued drain bolts and filters there would be a drastic drop in problems. Then the inspector should state that these items are to be wire tied. Its 5 mins tops to check it with a torque wrench and then have the racer wire tie it then. As most of the plastics have to be off for inspection anyways. I take oil seriously.

I don't feel that there is sufficient inspection practice is what I take issue to.

I would take an inspector torque inspection and un-wire tied bike any day over joe blows assumed to be torqued and wire tied race bike.

My torque requirement is only on that of the filter and drain bolt and would again as I have stated 5 mins tops for inspector to torque these two items.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Objection overruled. Sorry bout that.

18. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

So you like the system as it stands. ASSUMED TORQUED oil drain bolt and filter as opposed to a CERTIFIED TORQUED drain bolt and oil filter.

Drive on Dribbled oil my friends Drive on.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Any system has flaws, in a perfect world all drainplugs and oil filters would be both torqued and wired. WTF happens if suddenly in front of you, a watermelon truck loses half a load. No torqueing or wiring those pupples.

This could even apply to cantaloupes.

20. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Customer doesn't want holes drilled in there watermelons is the problem. If the track inspection says to wire tie watermelons to the back of you bike or you can't race I'm going to do it even if I don't agree.