Sargent seat 1999

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by speed-, Sep 15, 2016.

1. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    Just received my new Sargent seat ... really excited .. but... the rear seat didn't latch .. the seat hook is approx 2mm thicker at the bottom compared with the stock seat .. contacted the guys at the UK branch .... not very helpful ... said this was a first ... but seen other posts regarding this issue .. so know it's not a first ... offered to file the hook inside a little to fix the issue ... but no ... do this and warranty void ... so after over a month waiting for the seat .. have to send it back for a refund as all the seats are the same .... they all dont fit my bike .... strange but true .... really ... any ideas where I can get one that actually fits

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    :welcome: to the world

Do you still have the seat? Any pics of the new and old hooks? The only non latching issue I've had or heard of was when the latch bolt loosened itself and the latch dropped down. As long as grinding it won't cause the hook to be too thin I would dremel it and ride on.....

3. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Seat

Hi thanks for that .. I would do but been told by the sender in the uk that if i do that i have no warranty ... so have to send it back

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi Speed. Look carefully at the latch. Mine was the same, the rear would not close. On inspecting I noticed the plastic from the seat bottom had formed slightly on the latch. 2 seconds with a file to remove the plastic and the seat locked right in. Worth a try. Good luck. I love it! (So does my arse!)

5. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    sargent seat

hi thanks for the reply
    I have e mailed Sargent USA and UK with the fact that there has been issues and asking if I can try to sort the issue (as others have... with a file) and still have some sort of warranty or if they will send a replacement rear section as the front is fine. The chap in the UK says the seats all fit ...may have the only VFR that can`t accept a Sargent seat :crushed:

6. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    Just an update ... Sargent USA have replied to my e mail and are looking into finding a solution .... fingers crossed :lemo:

7. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Sorted

:smile:
    So Dane from Sargent USA said fine to trim plastic off the latch ... as per Laker... thanks mate ... and warranty not effected .... took seconds to sort and seat now locks .... would have done this in the first instance yet Sargent UK refused to let me .... perhaps a little more customer service training for the Uk branch ...... this could have then been avoided .... again thanks for the feedback from the forum and help and common sense from Dane at Sargent USA
    Looking forward to many comfortable miles

Speed

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I had all kinds of problems with the corbin seats over the years from having to shim the metal loop under the seat in order for it to match up with the latch to having one crack one of my side panels. I got a Seargent seat cover that fit "titz" I took it to an auto seat/top shop that stappled it on to my old seat after they removed the old cover, very satisfied with their care. Some times you have to finger tune stuff, just the way it is, the R&D is not there on forgotten items, or it kind of fell through the cracks, you turn out to be the best source for information. :peace:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  9. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    First ride on Sargent seat

So first impression is very very positive ... much more support ... have to put in a longer ride to see the full extent of comfort ... looking forward to doing that