Scary stuff

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by professore, Feb 9, 2013.

1. professore

professore New Member

I was coming to the end of a 2 hour motorway run yesterday, and upon coming up to a toll booth, I applied the front brake and then the back brake to gently slow down. However my bike started making an awful racket, and basically ground to a halt.

My first thought was something in the engine, but on leaving the toll booth (very slowly - bike would move), I pulled over and put the bike in neutral, and gently revved the engine, and it was as sweet as ever. I inspected the bike, but could find nothing externally wrong. Then I tried pulling off, again perfect - no noise, as smooth as ever. I was near home so I decided to limp the rest of the distance.

I came to a roundabout (you guys in the US don't have many of them!) and slowed down, again front and back brake as before, and it happened again ! WTF?

This time I figured it must be something brake related. So I stopped, applied the front brake, no issue. Then applied the back brake - BINGO! wheel locked. So there was something with the back brake. So I drove the rest of the way home, remembering not to apply the back brake.

I had work to do when I got home, so this morning I had a more thorough inspection. Turns out the rear brake caliper torque bolt is completely gone ! I know it was there when I refurbished the brake pistons, a few months ago, but something must not have been secured properly.

It did some damage to the back wheel, and also to the braided brake line I had fitted. In fact I was lucky they were braided, otherwise it would have chewed straight through a standard rubber one, and sprayed brake fluid all over my back wheel!

I attach some pics. Does anyone have one of these lying around somewhere? In the 2nd pic you can see I have rigged up something temporary to hold everything together, but wouldn't want to use that for long!
    bolt.jpg brakeline.jpg wheel.jpg

2. bikeman

bikeman New Member

Map
    we have round-a-bouts here too. sorry for your troubles, goodluck

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I am glad you are safe, good luck finding part

4. white_335i

white_335i New Member

That is indeed scary. Glad it was nothing serious and you are OK!!

5. professore

professore New Member

I have the part now on order from David Silver Spares. Works out at 13.95 sterling including postage.

6. splitfin

splitfin New Member

wo,thought i was only one with "scary" brake issues> front calibre bolt on mine was stripped when i bought bike(not picked up on when safety was done). entire assembly dropped away and was left with only rear for rest of my 45 minute trip home.$400.00 later new assembly and better than new. hopefully you can get your problem resolved (cheaply)