Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Ravage776, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Ravage776

Ravage776 New Member

Hey all, well after searching through all the helmet companies out there, i decided to go with a Scorpion EXO-1000. I think it was because of the the features it has. A set of flip down shades inside the helmet, thus eliminating needing to carry sunglasses. As well as the adjustale cheek pads via "The Pump". It should be here next week. I am kinda curious if anyone else out there has one of these helmets, and if they like it? I hope it is better than the HJC the dealer threw in with the bike when I bought it!

2. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

I was really interested in that helmet so I tried one on. Sadly, it didn't fit the top of my head just right.

3. pres589

pres589 New Member

I've never slid on a -1000, but I do own an EXO-400, the cheapest of the three Scorpion helmets sold. It seems like the -1000 is more of the same. So, quickly, here are some pro's and con's that I would expect based on my -400 experience;

Pro's:
    - Very nice face shield that is very slow to fog. Not sure how Scorpion go this so right with Shoei can't.
    - Decent venting

Con's:
    - Kind of noisy
    - Kind of heavy
    - Shield retention mechanism is kind of crap compared to my Shoei.

If they had a lighter, quieter -400 derivative I would have picked the thing up instead of my Shoei TZ-R in a light color, and grabbed one of their photosensitive shields. No fiddly flip down shade. But such a beast doesn't exist, the -700 seems worse than the -400 for noise and I don't know that it vents much better, they just glued a bunch of fiddly stuff to the -400, effectively. No thanks.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I happen to like the HJC helmets. They seem to fit me better than the rest. Lucky me that my head isn't shaped like a $500.00 Shoei. Shoei's give me headaches. DOT and Snell approved, of course you can't act all cool showing off your HJC.....

5. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Did you see the review on Web Bike World (Link)?
    I tried one on and it didn't fit me (long-oval shaped head). I thought the pump up cheek pads were cool but didn't like the internal dark shield. I thought it was too light and did not come down far enough. All very subjective, the guy standing next to me loved it and bought one on the spot.

Action

6. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

I have an EX-700 and I like the helmet a lot. It has solid venting for keeping the sheild clear as well as keeping you cool. I have good peripherial vision out of it and it's comfortable as well. I tried on the EX-1000 about a week ago, picked the same size as my EX-700 and the one thing I noticed is that the helmet itself was larger and when I slid it on, and I felt like I was looking though a tunnel. I didn't notice why right away, but I asked the guy to hand me an EX-700 since mine was on the bike outside. When I compared both helmets, sure enough the EX-1000 had a bigger outer shell and it also had more padding from the exterior sheild to your face. Basically, the reason for this is to fit room for the sun visor and mechanism for it that flips down when necessary. I could not get comfortable with my head being deeper in the helmet due to this. It felt like I had limited vision with the helmet on.

IN any case, it's a nice helmet and that flip down visor is a cool idea, but in my opinion they need to find a way to fit that in within the demensions of a normal helmet and padding.

7. Ravage776

Ravage776 New Member

Well, my new helmet showed up today, and I am not very impressed with it. My HJC is a XL, and this one is a XXL. The HJC still fits better!!!!! The flip down sunshade is a joke! It does not come down far enough! I am disgusted with this helmet. Buyers be aware! Try one on before you buy it!

8. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

You gonna return it?

9. Ravage776

Ravage776 New Member

I dunno. I kinda wanna try it out, but it will be a couple of months before I will get the chance(lovely winter!). If the helmet padding was to compress somewhat from wearing it, it might be alright. I ordered the helmet from a US company, so sending it back could be a bit of a headache. I JUST DUNNO! :mad:

10. xShadowrider

xShadowrider New Member

I'm checking out a new HJC (the old blue helmet will just not work with the Pearl White, afterall) with the integrated sunshield that's listed for $269 at a local dealer. Might head over there this weekend to try it on and see if that sunshield device works.

11. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I recently saw the EXO-1000 helmet at a trade show and I was really impressed with it. However I didn't buy it because the internal sunglass visor doesn't come in mirror tint. It only comes in either amber or gray tint.

I like the mirror tint because it provides real sun protection and if they only had the mirror tint I'd be wearing that helmet right now.

12. derstuka

Map
    I think you are referring to the HJC new FS-10 model. A review said the exact same thing that Ravage said about his helmet. The tinted sunshield is not adjustable (only open or closed) does not go down far enough to get out of your field of view, and is too light of a shade of tint....probably for liability reasons.

HJC FS-10 clicky

13. derstuka

Map
    Call them up and find out about their return policy. Tell them that you already got the same one as a present. Just saying...if you are not happy now, you probably are not gonna be happy later. IMO.

BTW, it is raining like a MoFo right now in San Diego....woo hoo!

14. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for the heads up! was interested in fs-10 thought the flip down visor was a great idea.i guess its not. will stick with my TZ-r with sun glasses

15. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, thanks for the write up and everyones input on this helmet. I really thought i needed the 1000, but now im leaning toward the 700.

16. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Just thought I'd chime in here (even thought its a bit after the fact). I have the EXO-700 and I love it. I also have a KBC Predator helmet which I like but my head sits up inside a bit much, but it is still comfortable. Anyway, the Scorp helmet fits very well and is very comfortable. I don't notice any extra noise and it does not feel heavy on my head and neck.

17. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

ravage776, the padding in the helmet will break-in a bit. It won't feel as snug after awhile. Usually after a handful of rides, it'll fit nice, and the tight discomfort will go away. As for the scorp helmet, never had one, I have an Arai, with 20,000 miles in it, and love it.