Scotts Steering Damper installed! :)

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by VIFFER RIDER, Aug 7, 2009.

1. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Just got my Scotts Steering damper today, install took like 30mins, i will report bank later on what i think of it after i get out of work. :biggrin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mrich12000

mrich12000 New Member

Map
    Nice setup. to bad they don't make one for my VF1000. Boy that looks great!!:thumbsup:

3. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    have any pictures of your triple tree? They might make something that may work.

4. tsiah

tsiah New Member

I've read a bit about the steering dampers...but still trying to decide if it will ever be worth the $400 price tag.

Are they designed to help more at high speed or low speed? or just kind of all around with rough road surfaces?

5. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map

Its designed to absorb bumps, jolts, and aide in high and low speed stability. Scotts damper allows a plethora of adjustments like sweep, high and low speed separate adjustments, while others are single adjustable. I bought mine from PARTS411 San Dimas, CA 1 (877) 484-4860 i called it in and ordered, they gave it to me for $392

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Have you done anything to the suspension or chassis geometry, before this damper?

7. tsiah

tsiah New Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  8. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    You could have done something better with the money and gave it to me and you would still have the same effect on the VFR.... Looks nice :)

9. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, i set the sag to my weight, and played around with the rebound on the back shock a little, still couldn't get it dialed in to my liking, i may have to re spring/valve and convert my rear shock to something a little firmer. I weight 250lbs so im a little on the heavy side.

10. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    The CBR is electrically controlled and speed sensitive (much like my GSXR750 KYB unit) unlike the factory preset dampers the Scotts damper is all manually adjusted to your liking. If the VFR came with a factory one like that i would of just simply left it alone, but it did not have one so i installed one. My GSXR i left it stock, i think the stock one works good enough.

11. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok update : I rode it 45 miles on the highway.... Wow... No more headshakiness and doesn't follow the grooves on the freeway and during lane splits the lane separator bumps no longer pogos me side to side like it used to. Talk about confidence inspiring I totally love my vfr now. Or drives similar ro my gixxer stability wise and totally steady on the highways. IMO it's worth every cent bar none. Some of you guys said the vfr is already stable but go out and ride one with a damper dialed in and there is a difference.

12. jasoncool

jasoncool New Member

Map
    hey.. cool. Do u like like the gsxr suzuki 750? Thinking of getting a 750 or 1000 k9. cheers .:rolleyes:

13. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Looks great! I'd really like to have one, but $400.00 just isn't feasible right now.

14. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

For me the damper makes the bike feel like one piece instead of a front and a rear. And it also seems to track and steer a lot better. I don't ride a bike without one anymore. Scotts makes a good product and worth the money in my humble opinion. And some people probably saw no need to move away from the wooden wheel also!

15. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    I love my 750 alot, the best sport bike i ever ridden!! its the perfect sportbike for intermediate riders, 1000 is a bit much for anyone short of a Rossi IMO, a 600 is great for track but doesn't have the mid range punch i want for the street i primarily use it for, the 750 was a perfect combination of 600 class weight and size but with a in between 600/1000 power which IMO the best combination of any super sport class bar none.

16. tsiah

tsiah New Member

Glad you're liking it.
    I'll probably get around to adding one to my viffer eventually....after I get some of the bike paid off :eek:
    I have this issue as well....sometimes I really hate being tall and heavy :redface:
    I haven't played with the suspension at all yet...I'm a little weary of messing up the ride quality. I know a lot of theory on suspension adjustment for cars but nothing about motorcycles...and no hands on experience with adjustable stuff.

17. 12RideRed

12RideRed New Member

Map
    I live 50 miles from Glacier Nat Park and ride it often. I have read and now I will try. No better testing grounds... damm the trafic...glad there is no cell service!!!
    Will update on the upgrade.

18. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly!! What i notice just now after carving some sweeper turns with a bumpy surface is that it doesn't twitch and wallow over dips and bumps like it normally does, i can follow my line steadily without upsetting the chassis. Before i used to take this sweeper doing about 90 (50mph onramp) but its a little bumpy and has buckled expansion joints across it. When i lean her over and take the turn, it used to twitch and buck over the bumps and it was hard to keep her steady around the turn without it wanting to wobble the steering. What i hated most about bikes without dampers is how loose and light the steering feels, i like firm positive steering, like modern sports cars, it allows me to make precise maneuvers and gives me better road feel. Ever drive a car with overboosted power steering like a old chevy van on a freeway? Its takes more effort to track it straight without it going back and forth like a drunk driver. Thats what a VFR feels like without the damper.

19. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    hummmm... very interesting.

20. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Very nice, Glad you like it. Thanks for sharing