Seen the Nightster?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by SFPA, May 3, 2007.

1. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Even at the risk of inciting a riot or having my manhood questioned I must bring it up....

I saw the new HD Nightster up close at work last week. All I can say is that bike looks BAD (as in good)!! So, if I am understanding correctly, the Nightster is one of the Sportster versions that HD is putting out this year?

In my line of work, guys who buy Sportsters are dweebs, the "squids" of the cruiser world if you will. They are mocked more than admired. What is the buzz about the Nightster in the civilian world? Does it hold the same sorta entry-level, buy-it-for-your-wife stigma that the Sportster does? It does have a 1200cc eng.....

Give me the buzz, your thoughts, even your harrassment. Someone please verbally smack me out of my trance if this thing is a P.O.S., cause it looks pretty damn cool in my opinion! I have been verbally trashing HDs for years, but I actually think I could be persuaded into my first HD with it's looks and the low cost (less than $10K).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. ChrisPaegelow

ChrisPaegelow New Member

I agree, it does look pretty cool.
    If I was to buy a Harley, it would be that one!

3. pecarlo

pecarlo New Member

Looks Cool, But Did Not Get The Best Of Reviews. Smack!!!!

4. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey enjoy, but sorry a Harley would not be my choice for what I want to do. It looks great - no need to knock it. If it works it is good!!!!!

5. PLCBithead

PLCBithead New Member

Living in Milwaukee, I did have to test ride a harley before I bought my 2000 VFR. To be honest, it was the worst handling bike I ever road, and I use to own a 1975 Kawasaki S3 400 Triple. The center of gravity on a sportster is very high and immediately noticeable. They also vibrate excessively (yes even the ones with rubber engine mounts) and the power band is like an old farm truck. It's all show and no go in my opinion

6. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    That looks pretty sweet but if I were going to buy a HD it would be this one

[​IMG]

7. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    I like the night rod, too, but a bit out of my price range.

8. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

I thought about the night rod, and have ridden a bunch of harleys, but its apples and oranges, a totally different riding style, one is comfy cruizin, the other is saddled up screamin.
    That harley looks cool, but I still like the VFR for the kind of riding I do.

9. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I sat on a night rod @ the Cycle World show in Minneapolis, admittedly it is a cool looking bike as is the Night version sporty. But they just feel weird to me, best way to relay it maybe the feeling of sitting on it not in it. In a perfect world though I feel every motorcycle enthusiest should own 6 bikes as they all fill certain requirements better than others.

1) Full touring rig
    2) Sport touring rig
    3) Cruiser
    4) Adventure tour
    5) Full sport
    6) Off road

By the time I can afford to have all these @ the same time I'll be to old to enjoy @ least a few of these.

10. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Have you seen the "Street Rod". If I were to buy a Harley, it would be this one. Longer suspension, bigger fuel tank, better lean angle and pegs located under the knees.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/testing/HD/street-rod/page1.htm

On the V-Rod, my 29" inseam had to stretch to get the balls of my feet on the forward controls. Anyone under 5'8" is going to have issues on the V-Rod.

11. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I gotta admit, I love the look of that Nightster. If I were in the market for a second bike I'd probably give that thing a look. I've got nothing against Harley's at all, it's really just the wanna-be tough guys that mostly ride them that irritate me.

12. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks cool, but I'd much prefer a new VMAX, If Yam can get their act together. I don't mind Harley, just don't love them enough for the admission price. Most Harleys rolling are 3 of my VFR and at 7k mine wasn't cheap, it's just too damn much money for what you get.

With that said, If I were to go that route I'd save for the VROD, those Sporty motors aren't going to work for you after your beloved V4, they are dog slow and shake the teeth out at 80.

13. Taz

Taz New Member

Sportster motor is good for dirt tracking, as for the street, I would say it makes a good girls learnig bike as a 883, & a little more advanced for the 1200. My Dyna was a reliable & nimble little bugger, but sold that & bought my Triumph ST Sprint.

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

The suspension travel is the same as a Huggers. Too damn little for todays world.
    When I was a kid, only bada$$es rode Sportsters. You had to be mean and tough to ride one. (Anyone could ride a big twin!) Don't believe me? Try a '68 or '69 XLCH kick start magneto 900. Not for the timid!

The nightster is the only new H-D I'd buy. But, I'm not gonna buy one!

15. ranree

ranree New Member

That bike LOOKS sweet!

16. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map

My thoughts exactly. This bike, however lists @ $9995, which is incredible for HD to offer up a bike like this at such a low price.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I like the nightster. I want a bobber for one of my bikes so when it came out it was right up my alley BUT, the more I look at it vs another Harley, I think I'd go for an older dyna and chop it up the way I want. I looked at the street bob and it's pretty sweet but it needs forward controls and drag bars which improve it a lot (I looked at one set up like this). It's the first bike I have sat on that I feel like fits me as far as not being cramped up. I think the bobster is pretty neat, but I don't think the Harley crowd will give it any street cred and I don't think the sport riding crowd will give it any sport cred so it's really go be a niche market. BUT, if you like and you want it, SCREW EM!

18. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

yeah it may list at $9995, but try to buy it at that price from a Hardley stealership... No sir our price is $12,200 and it will outrun the new jap 600 crotch rockets..LOL

19. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I like the LOOKS of that bike too. I would have to test ride it first, which most dealers won't do. I also wonder how it performs. I will be interested in seeing what Motorcyclist and Cycle World say about it!

Here is a review if you are interested:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28february07_nightster.htm

I came up behind two guys hauling ass up an on-ramp, one on a Buell, the other on something I couldn't tell. So, I speed up to catch up to him to see what he was on. I thought it was the M109R with that big rear tire, but it was the nightrod and it was sweet looking. It was also having no trouble ripping down the freeway at 90+. Needless to say though, I left them both in my dust after taking a peep!

20. cruzinaz

cruzinaz New Member

Map
    Isn't 90+ over the posted limit???:biggrin: I can't believe you would do that!:rolleyes:

What were you thinking?:first: ??