Self-cancelling indicators : howto disable ?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by sudolea, Feb 28, 2019.

1. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    Hello, all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the self-cancellation feature of the (8th generation) VFR800F's indicators ? I don't like this feature, I even think it is more unsafe than safe. If there really would be no way to just switch off that feature, then maybe it's possible to increase the distance before the indicators cancel themselves ? I had the same issue with my previous bike (a BMW) on which it was impossible to disable that feature, but there, it was possible to increase the self-cancellation distance (800m instead of the standard 200m).

Any help would be appreciated, because I always feel like I have to ride around an unreliable indicator system by re-re-re-activating the indicators again-and-again-and-again to be sure they are still on at the crossroads where I intend to turn. 200m (and it's even less!) just is no good as a self-cancelling distance to me : way too short.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Look at it this way: nobody is paying any attention to your turn signal anyway. However I would assume if you
    re-activated it then you'd be good for another 200 meters. Why would you need to have your turn signal on for
    over 400 meters, that's right at 1/4 of a mile? Hell, people will think you just forgot it , and ignore it anyway.

Does it also have a timed feature? Or just distance?

3. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    It's not exactly re-activating "after 200m". Because my "problem" with this self-cancelling feature is that I always want to make sure the indicators don't switch off themselves well before the 200 m have passed. So I even hardly ever have them on for over 400m ;-)

No, it's not timed, because at standstill, the indicators don't cancel after a while, they only do so while riding.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I can see your concern. Personally I like them simply because they ensure that I don't go blithely
    down the road with my left turn signal flashing and some moron turns in front of me at an intersection
    because he thought I was turning.

Have you looked really closely at the schematic to see if you can spot where the connections are for the
    self-cancelling signals? Heck, it could be a module that could be unplugged or bypassed. Maybe even
    talk to the dealer/mechanic. Just don't tell them you want to disable the system because they'll most
    likely develop a case of lockjaw, but tell them you're having "issues" with it.

5. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    As far as I can see (with my limited electrical abilities), it ends in the ECU where it is handled further ... for sure "according to (probably nowhere publically documented ?) specs"... Maybe some custom circuitry can be made, but I'd like not to tweak too much, a just stupid-simple solution may be at hand ?

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    VFR Turn.jpg
    The system utilizes the front and rear wheel ABS speed sensors. When you are traveling in a straight line, speed sensors agree, when you turn, the front wheel slows a small amount, when you straighten out they agree again and cancel automatically. Nothing to do with time or distance. I would be very careful about making any modifications since the ABS system is involved.

7. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    I (really) am reluctant to tweaking with the ABS sensor's inputs for the ECU, and I would not risk anything that could compromise my ABS' proper working !

On the other hand : riding a perfectly straight line will at some point cancel the indicators, i.e. after a "certain" distance. I guess that's what's meant by the sentence here above : "when the turn signal/hazard relay judges that the vehicle exits a corner". But I nowhere saw that distance specified ? Nor do I see anything in the wiring scheme (apart from the ECU itself) taking the input of the ABS sensors. So it must be "somewhere" in the ECU itself where that indicator cancellation processing is done. Hence, I guess there could be a variable in the ECU's flash memory where that distance could maybe be increased ?

Shortly after I bought my VFR last summer, I asked my garage's mechanics, and he didn't know of such a disabling (or distance increasing) possibility. But I could very well think that it is possible, only that he wouldn't know, because I guess it's not something that you're asked frequently (I remember a pretty much similar story with my former bike).

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Waiting for the next thread. :Pop2:

9. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    Having had a closer (and apparently better) look at the wiring scheme, I would think disabling (i.e. cutting) the speed input wires of the turn signal/hazard relay could do the trick. Is this safe ? And would the turn signal/hazard relay keep on working ?

10. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Honestly, until you hear definitely from someone who has done it and can explain why it works, IMO
    you're better off not messing with the inner electronic workings of your bike. Especially anything remotely
    connected to the ABS/braking system. Just seems like a really bad idea.

Thumbs likes this.
  11. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    I see what you mean. And I am of the same opinion. Hence, I ask it here, because as far as I can see on the wiring diagram, this should work. The 2 wires I'm talking of are used as inputs to the ECU as well as to the turn signal/hazard relay. I'm talking about cutting only the inputs to the latter (NOT the ECU !).

But this could be tricky IF the turn signal/hazard relay needs these 2 inputs to function properly. That's why I'm asking here (and if no-one can confirm, I'd ask my dealer to confirm)...

12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The main thing that occurs to me is that if the ECU doesn't get it's info from the turn signals, since
    you don't know that it's only one way to the turn signals, there could be fault alerts from the ECU.

Just a thought anyway.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You might lose your “Hazard” lights too.

14. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    As far as I can see on this diagram, the wires I'm talking of (the 2 arrows up departing from the abs modulator into the turn signal/hazard relay), are input (only) to the turn signal/hazard relay. And wouldn't jeopardise the hazard functionality. I think I'll check this with my dealer.

Scan diagram.jpg

15. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Asking the dealer is a good idea, but it's probably likely he has no idea either. The only problem I
    can think of is the ABS Modulator may throw an error code if it shows a non-functioning circuit
    to the Turn Signal?Hazard Relay unit. But then again it may not be an issue.

Keep us apprised of the ongoing testing please.

16. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The turn signal relay judges when the vehicle changes lanes and cancels the turn signals under the following conditions.

The motorcycle is run 394 feet (120m) at a speed less than 31mph.
    The turn signal is on longer than 7 seconds at a speed of 31mph or greater.

17. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    There is a mod can’t remember whether I saw it on here or vfrd.

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Good info, that wasn’t in my factory manual.

19. SlideRule

SlideRule New Member

United States
    Map
    I posted on the other site, but for reference: Clipping the Pink/Green & Pink/Blue (Speed Sensor Wires) or removing them from the connector will disable the Self-Cancelling effect. I've been running it that way since new, ABS and TC still work fine. The Turn Signal Relay is tucked between the ECU and headlight on the right side of the bike. This is for a 2014 VFR - newer years may have a different wiring harness.

fink and sudolea like this.
  20. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It is, it on the next page.