Selling My 2007 VFR800 RWB

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by stewartj239, Jun 27, 2013.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Everyone,

I'm sad to report that I am selling my VFR to purchase a full touring bike. As of late, my wife and I have had access to a friend's Honda Gold Wing and a Can-Am Spyder RT Limited. After riding those bikes, she won't even get on the VFR any more - and I don't blame her. It just doesn't offer the same passenger comfort as the other two. Anyhow, here is the link to the listing if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me with questions. Hopefully you guys don't think I'm asking too much .....

Honda : Interceptor in Honda | eBay Motorcycles

2. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Oh no, say it isn't so!!! :hss:

Someone will be getting a very fine example of a RWB with all the options. Really sorry to see you go!!

On another note, I sold a BMW GS1200 to a local fella up here in Ontario about two years ago and he had just sold off his Spyder. His comments were that it was more like riding a summer snowmobile than riding a bike. It lacked the thrill of carving corners and the ferrocious accelleration that a sport bike delivers. Then he hopped on the GS and rode away. I see them more and more on the roads up here and in Quebec they are like assholes, you see them everywhere! I'm just curious about your own experience.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!you will regret it down the road. Just buy the other bike and make the wifey happy and you will still have this for just you.

4. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly what I am looking for but to far away...good luck on the sale! I am looking at one this weekend....:)

5. Durk

Durk New Member

I agree w/ duccmann, that bike is too nice to sell and you'll regret it.
    Why not pick up a cheap ST1100 and keep the VFR as the mistress bike?

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Steward, Sad to know you are parting a fine RWB :sad:
    Good luck with the sale and good luck finding a perfect bike to please the wife.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Another +1 for Duccman's comment. When I bought the Ducati the wife had no problem riding on the back, but now that she rode on the back of the 6 Gen, she won't even sit on the back of the Duc, never mind riding it. So since the 6 Gen became my commuter/tourer and is settup as so, I went and bought myself a 5 Gen just for sport riding! Of course everyone's financial burdens are different but seriously think about getting a touring bike for just that, if you can swing it. Oh yeah, my wife said, "Go Orangemen!"

8. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the comments guys. My wife actually said that I can keep the VFR, but I honestly want to move to a Gold Wing. Don't get me wrong, I love the VFR, but I have way too many bikes and I want to simplify my life which is why I sold my VF500, VFR750 and VF1000R last fall. With the 3 boys and my wife, we now have 6 dirt bikes and you know who has to maintain them - hopefully you can see my point. MX is really the family focus right now, so all I want to deal with is a single street bike. I might have regrets down the road, but so far I have had none after selling my '86 collection. I'm thinking it is just another chapter in my life.

9. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The Spyder is an interesting ride. So far we've put about 3 hours on it and will be riding it again over the weekend - along with the Gold Wing. At first, I absolutely hated it. You have to take everything you know about riding a motorcycle and throw it away. Once I did that and adapted to how it wanted to be ridden, things started to go much more smoothly. The stability of it is second to none, but the cornering sucks. It does not rail like a bike and you are pretty much at car speeds through turns. I want the Gold Wing, but my wife likes the Spyder because there is no leaning involved which makes her feel more comfortable and confident. Both bikes are Cadillacs when it comes to passenger accommodations. My plan is to focus on the Gold Wing this weekend and hope that she changes her mind :)

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Get the Goldwing at least you can split lane if the traffic at a stop. You will wish you on two wheels when this happen.

11. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Just saw this pop up on my daily ebay email list, so I just signed on to see what's going on with the sale. Haven't read these posts yet, but I'm sure this was a hard decision. Hope you're not leaving the forums!

12. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    An army friend of mine (who has 2 VFRs) just bought a Can Am Spyder RT for his wife about 6-8 months ago. She had a H-D but didn't like it...too heavy. She likes the Can Am, and he sorta tolerates it.

13. nih

nih New Member

Map
    ive heard the passenger ride on can-am is sickening because of the way the bike pivots while cornering? that true at all for wife? kinda of like getting thrown around on the tilt-a-whirl at fair was how it was described to me.

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Based on our last few talks, I was telling you that I was looking to add the top case and go more that route hoping to also add additional comfort for the passenger, but unfortunately, our friend offered to let us take the Spyder out and that completely spoiled my wife. Another friend then said that we should take the Gold Wing out and that spoiled me :)

We'll see what happens. I still love the VFR and if it doesn't sell, then I might hang on to it for at least the rest of this year and put the purchase off until next year. As stated, I can keep it, but I'll be getting back into my old habit of buying stuff and never selling.

15. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Not at all. The Gold Wing is the one that pivots because it leans and that is the one thing my wife does not like about it. With the Spyder, the passenger can snooze back there and do nothing - it remains completely upright which is why the cornering speeds are nowhere near that of a bike - which for me is the negative.

16. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Stewart

I had a chance to ride a Can-Am Spyder RT and as you say it does not ride anything like a real motorcycle as far as turning and leaning but it was a really nice machine in its own right. One thing I can definitely not fault the Can Am for is storage space. With the three lockable bags out back and the trunk in the front, holy crap, you could pack enough stuff with you to go for a few weeks. The local Can-Am dealer near my shop has one sitting out front of the store and it has a trailer attached to it that I think is made by Can-Am as well and the trailer easily has as much storage space inside to go across the border and pick up and haul four new tires for my wife's 1998 Chevy Tahoe.

Though I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a Can-Am for myself as yet, my wife on the other hand would be all over the chance to pick one up and heh, for those chilly and snow-filled Canadian winters, you could even add studded snow tires and drive the thing year round.

Good luck with the sale and keep us apprised as to what type of machine finds a new home in your garage.

17. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Very Simple!
    Keep the VFR and get the Spyder for the Wife!
    You don't need the Gold Wing. Make her drive the Spyder and haul all your crap. You can now drive the VFR one up, light and quick. When you get to your destination you can have a few beers while you wait for her to show up!

18. cruisingram

cruisingram New Member

I would suggest a Valkryie instead of a Gold wing. I have put some serious miles on both, and though the Goldwing hard bags carry more, the valkryie in many ways is more versatile, and pretty quick too! All the comfort of the wing as well.

19. Terc

Terc New Member

United States
    If I didn't already own a VFR, that bike would be going home with me. Don't do it!

20. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I sold the bike last night. It went way quicker than I thought. There was LOTS of interest in it. I'm sure curious minds want to know what I got for it. If you're one of them, then we settled on $6500. I'm happy with that. I do plan to stick around the forum for a while and will let you guys know what the next bike is when we make the purchase.