shoei lid

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by afroken, Nov 20, 2017.

1. afroken

afroken New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    hi all looking for a new shoei lid mines 15 years old now and looking for comfort .air flow .accessories easy strip down for cleaning .looking on the web and the read up is almost the same for diff mods .and i would like better info from proper bikers

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    You might get a better / quicker response if you put it into the correct forum.... Gear & acc would be my first choice...

You may now have to ask a MOD to do it though...

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Being a long time Shoei wearer I can say their quality has always been great. As for accessories, other than pin lock lenses and perhaps transitions shields, not sure of what other accessories you can get for helmets. Most of the current Shoei helmets have removable and replaceable cheek pads and liners, often offering different thicknesses for customizing the fit, but I would not consider those accessories.

I currently wear a Shoei GT-Air and ironic to it’s name it doesn’t flow a lot of air but is a nice fit and offers pin lock lens and an internal sun visor. Although the air flow isn’t huge, it’s enough to be comfortable even in the warm Southern California temperatures. This ultimately makes the helmet a little bit more quiet but wouldn’t suggest wearing without ear plugs. I’m on my second GT-Air, the first one was sacrificed in a low side crash! So I like it enough to re-buy it.

Prior to the GT-Air, I had the RF-1100 and that helmet was a bit of the opposite, noisy but great air flow. It too had replaceable cheek pads, liner and offered pin lock lenses and shields. For track days and sport ridng this helmet was great as the air flow helped keep my head cooler. It has since been discontinued and replaced with the RF-1200 but I cannot comment as to how it compares to it predecessor but hear/read good reviews about it.

If you’re looking for a modular helmet they have the Neo-Tech which looks a similar to the GT-Air, just being the modular version of it. I also cannot comment on this either as I have not worn one, other than trying one in the store.

Their flagship helmet is the X-14, which is really a race/track day helmet and is their highest price helmet and although I had considered grabbing one, I ultimately went with the Schuberth SR1 as I got a great price on it. The few riders I’ve spoken who have the X-14 seem to like them but of course that is second hand info.

Although being discontinued you can probably find a great deal on the Qwest model, this is a sport touring helmet so it is designed more for an upright riding position and is currently being phased out in most stores, at least here in the states. This one too has received favorable reviews but again, one I have not worn.

4. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    In the recent past I have had two XR-1000 helmets, a XR-1100 and I now have the X-Spirit 3. I have always used Shoei. I dabbled with other brands but all that did is make me realise how great Shoei are. You need a pinlock though if you plan on riding in winter.