Shoei RF1000 Review

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by reg71, Apr 22, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Shoei RF 1000 Nerve

Those of you who follow my many random messages probably know that I had to bite the bullet recently and get a new helmet. Here is the review I promised. I tried on probably about 20 helmets before deciding on the Shoei. I narrowed down what was important to me and chose this based on those factors. Here they are in no particular order: fit, cost, noise, looks, weight.

Fit: the Shoei fits me very well. It wasn't the absolute most comfortable I tried on, but when I put it on my head seems to be snug without feeling cramped. One thing I noticed is that the cheeckpads push my cheeks just so that if I don't keep my teeth together then my cheeks get pushed between my teeth slightly inside the helmet. Not a huge deal, but slightly annoying. I am told that other cheeckpads can be purchased, though. But then, I'd probably sacrifice some of the snug feeling I get from the helmet.

Cost: This is the most expensive helmet I have ever purchased. Do I think that makes it better? Not necessarily. Do I think it was worth it? Yes. I paid $299 and got it from Competition Accessories with free shipping. It sat right in the middle on price ranges of the helmets I was looking at.

Noise: This helmet is slightly quieter than the KBC I was using prior. I use my cell phone/mp3 player as a guide. I can hear my tunes all the way to 80 mph with only minimal wind noise getting through, and I can still hear the rumble of the v4 so it's not that my mp3 is loud enough to drown out the noise. The helmet came with a little chin cover thing similar to the NOJ quietrider basic that helps with the noise. (see pic below)

Looks: The Shoei wasn't my favorite for looks, but just because I generally prefer matte finishes because I have a tendency to scratch things. (hence the nicname for my bike) The helmet came with a high gloss finish with no flaws that I noticed. The shield closes up snug with a decided snap to let you know it's in place. Very good fit/finish. Even looking at the helmet on the inside is visually pleasing.

Weight: While, I'm told it's not the lightest helmet out there, I can tell you it is lighter than what I'm used to. It's almost like not wearing a helmet when I have this hat on. It may be the balance, the wind tunnel design testing or whatever, but it seems right.

Nits: from the top of the lid, the two red dots remind me of cartoon eyeballs. Also, helmet seems to fog up even with the included fog deflector in place (at least in cool weather).

Likes: Visor can be changed in about 10 seconds. Locking tab on visor. Feels very stable at speed.

Summary: a good lid for a good price.

Update: I have over 500 miles with this lid now and I wanted to add that the ventilation is good. I can feel the extra air flow with the top vents open on my forehead and in near 100 degree temp riding today, the helmet wasn't too uncomfortable. On the negative side, I seem to get bugs inside the helmet and on the shield quite a bit. Dunno if that has anything to do with helmet design, but it's something I noticed.

nerve.jpg crop liner.jpg

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://lapi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EKServer&ai=vgdiza%7De&bdrcolor=666666&cid=0&eksize=1&encode=UTF-8&endcolor=FF0000&endtime=y&fbgcolor=EFEFEF&fntcolor=000000&fs=0&hdrcolor=FFFFCC&hdrimage=10&hdrsrch=n&img=y&lnkcolor=0000FF&logo=12&num=5&numbid=y&paypal=n&popup=y&prvd=9&query=Shoei+RF1000&r0=2&shipcost=n&siteid=0&sort=MetaEndSort&sortby=endtime&sortdir=asc&srchdesc=n&tbgcolor=FFFFFF&tlecolor=333333&tlefs=0&tlfcolor=FFFFFF&toolid=10004&track=5335977258&width=570"></script>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Gotta agree the RF1000 / XR1000 is a good helmet, have had one since Mid 2004 and find it comfortable even on long trips and the best bit is no buffeting at any speed which was evident on my AXO before it.

On fogging, find I have to move the locking tab forward to crack the visor open a little and make sure the rear vents are open, for slowing mist build up in cold weather on the outside use Plexus.

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I just got my first Shoei and the cheekpads do loosen up a bit after a couple thousand miles...

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Reg:

I bought my RF1000 in January, in Axis Yellow, amd it is the best helmet I have owned to date! I love it.

BZ

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I noticed that, too. I'm beginning to wonder if should have actually bought a large instead of XL now. I tried them on at the dealer though and large just seemed too tight. I'm thinking I should have bought large then let it form or something...

6. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanx for sharing Reg71 - Great review!!! Glad to hear you got such a great helmet you are happy with.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Reg - there are different thickness cheekpad available thru Shoei if you want. I bought a large helmet - stock pads are 35mm and I am using (for the moment) 31mm. Shoei says break in time for a new helmet is 30 hrs. Give it time and go from there.

Did that cloth fishnet air deflector thing come with your helmet? - I didnt get one and I would like to try it.

MD

8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    MD:

If you want mine, I'll send it to you, just give me an address.

BZ

9. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Just purchased an RF-1000 as well. I've been wanting a top of the line helmet for years. Tired of the wind noise, and poor fitment of my prior helmets. (AGV Demon, & ICON Alliance) I purchased mine from Cycle Gear. Using a 20% off coupon, final price was $354

First impression with the helmet is fantastic. It is noticeably lighter, and quieter. In fact with ear plugs i can no longer hear the gutted exhaust on my '03. Its going to take some time to get used to not hearing the engine while i ride, but man is it nice ! I highly recommend this lid.

Attached Files:

10. elf800

elf800 Banned

wish i bought another,i had the piscotte jester, that will be the next one i get, bought a suomy with the eagles stars and strips. i don't like it near as much as the shoei live and learn.....wonder how much i could sell it for??

11. ottrod

ottrod New Member

I replaced the 35mm cheek pads with the 31mm - made a world of difference for me. the pads still contact my cheeks, but do not pressure them. The 31mm should be the std pad IMO.

Keith

12. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    For all of you that want a SHOEI but have a hard time with the price. Spend some quality time on ebay and wait. I found my color matching Shoei on ebay and it took me 7 months (last winter). I searched on Shoei Shoie shoi shoe and sure enough found someone who spelled it wrong. Got mine with Shipping and NEW for $97 with shipping. XXL Ferrari Red and it matches my GIVI and bike exactly. Misspelled listings are always something to look for. I didn't feel bad because a guy left a message in eBay telling him he spelled it wrong and he didn't reply to the message and didn't pull the auction. Even if you dont find one taht is spelled wrong you can find a great price if you can wait.

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    UPDATE: I have had the shoei for over a year and it has over 10000 miles by now. More nits, the left side shield release worked itself loose and the little spring and pulltab thing popped out while on the trip in WA. the front vent by the mouth is difficult to operate.

Plusses: The shield will actually work with those pieces missing as long as you dont raise the shield to the max height (where it pops out). After emailing Shoei USA they sent me new baseplates and told me in the future to tighten them occasionally.

The cheekpads seem to fit just right now and the helmet feels so natural that I rarely notice it being on. The only time it bothers me is when I am taking it on and off several times a day like on the trip up to WA. The backs of my ears got sore by day 3 but you get used to it when on a trip like that.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I remember that episode working that so it would work for what 20 miles?

[​IMG]

15. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    Use a small amount of silicone sealer (gasket goo) on the 4 screws. They worked loose a couple of times and after doing this they have been tight for a year now and no sign of loosening up.

16. Rhino88

Rhino88 New Member

Map
    Yeah Shoei

Just lashed out bigtime and through NZ$675-00 on a Diabolic XR1000.It replaces a Shark RSF-2 Racing helmet which has been great but a little too much wind noise.The Shoei is without a doubt the lightest and quietest helmet that I have ever owned.As they say quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.Just like VFR's.
    5th Gen Militia Member Forever

17. Seattle

Seattle New Member

Went with the 1000 two weeks ago after a long ride with the 900. After a 10 hour ride a couple weeks ago my neck was aching and my helmet felt like a lead ball on my head. I figured it was just because I had shaved my head and the fact that the internals where a little worn out. I went in to purchase new internals for the 900 and was told I should try the 1000 out before investing in the old helmet. After a quick trip down the freeway I was sold. The 1000 is so light and comfy I don't even notice I'm wearing it. The only down side for me is how tight the cheek pads are right now. I'm told I should give them a month or so to loosen up. Until then I gotta be careful chewing gum while riding.:wink: