Should I buy this bike?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by SDGuero, Aug 5, 2018.

1. SDGuero

SDGuero New Member

United States
    Hey VFR Owners,

I looked at a 2012 VFR1200F today and am considering purchasing tomorrow. Wondering if I could get some advise.

It has a lot of mods... Yoshi exhaust, power commander, sargeant seat, raised bars, heated grips, lowered pegs. Well, here's the craigslist post:
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/d/2012-honda-vfr-1200-one-owner/6655420030.html

The guy selling it is the owners brother in law so he didn't have a whole lot of detailed information. Cool thing is he said his brother in law is about same size as me (6'1", 230 lbs) and he setup the bike for a bigger dude. Sitting on it was noticeably more comfortable than my current bike (Katana 750 with a Sargeant seat).

Had a couple questions for y'all that would be really helpful for me:
    • Any general tips for buying a 2012 vfr? Things to look out for? I'm going to test ride it tomorrow when I bring cash...
    • Do you think $6900 is a good price for the bike? It has a pretty bad scratch on one side case and scratch on one mirror.
    • Is there anything I can check to ensure this is really a 2012 (mostly cause I want to make sure I get the bigger gas tank)?
    • The bike has an attachment for a "BMW top case" that the guy doesn't have. A top case is a must have for me, so I'm wondering how much $ it will be to either replace the BMW one (he didn't know the make/model), or buy a new rig. If it is pricey for a top case with back support, I may have to offer less for this bike.
    Appreciate any info you guys can give. Hopefully I will be a proud VFR1200 owner tomorrow and will be able to give back to the forum for years to come! :)

-SDGuero

2. nikkon

nikkon New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Looks good and it is an amazing bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    US 2012s were only blue, so it's either been painted or wrapped. The T/C switch on the left side is the easiest way to know for sure. If it doesn't have the T/C switch, it's a 2010. Not to mention the VIN tag on the front left frame has the year on it.

I paid $6300 for my 2013 from a dealer in CA a couple months ago. It had bags, heli-bars, Corbin seat, centerstand, heated grips, DAM exhaust, and Honda windscreen deflector. It had 9400 miles on it.

NeedPetrol and skimad4x4 like this.
  4. SDGuero

SDGuero New Member

United States
    Thanks dude. Exactly the kind of info I was fishing for. I have seen red 2012's listed on cycle trader (maybe it was red/blue that year?). Are you saying $6300 out the door, or sticker? Paying full sales tax, dealer fees, etc. adds up...

5. SDGuero

SDGuero New Member

United States
    I went and confirmed blue only in 2012. Bummer man, this deal smells fishy now.. :(

NeedPetrol likes this.
  6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    That price is what I paid the dealer. Still had to pay sales tax when registering in my state.

It could be a Canadian import. I believe they got red for every year.

In case you weren't aware, the US only got 2010 (red only), 2012 (blue only), and 2013 (black only). While the rest of the world has multiple colors for every year from 2010 through 2017.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  7. SDGuero

SDGuero New Member

United States
    It's a 2010. He text me this morning saying he found title and was apologizing for misleading me. Which I appreciate.

I did like the bike. Trying to decide if I offer him $4800 firm or start at $4500... lol

8. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I suspect that offering $2000+ under his price wont get you it or a you a return call - LOL..

NeedPetrol likes this.
  9. SDGuero

SDGuero New Member

United States
    Yeah... He thought it was a 2012 until this morning so I dunno. I can see a few VFR1200 listings for $5k on cycle trader right now so I don't think it's crazy low offer. Also, I really wanted a 2012 as I live in southwest and improved range is very useful for longer rides through the desert.

If I don't get it, not end of the world. I'll just keep riding the old Katana a bit longer... :)

10. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'm also potentially looking at a vfr1200 - In the UK so I'm curious to see what these go for...
    I think I will go for a 2013+ as they seem to have most of the bugs worked out.

11. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    FYI, they only added 0.1 gallon to the official fuel capacity. With this bike, your right hand dictates the range regardless of the year. Choosing a year almost comes down to what color you want. But I do like having traction control, even if it is quite rudimentary.

12. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Strange tale. I know the year of all my bikes. If you like it, look around. Its a cool bike. My friend had one and is was a fast machine. Throw up a pic of the Katana. Is it a Classic or Jellybean?
    Good Luck SD.

13. Megadan

Megadan New Member

United States
    Just my 2 cents on the traction control. I wouldn't use that as a deal breaker. I have yet to find myself needing any form of trac. control on my 2010, and I have been rather heavy handed in less than ideal conditions. Hell, I managed to get the front wheel off the ground on a wet road. Good tires + long wheel base + heavy-ish bike = lots of traction. Make sure it has all recalls performed. Easily done with a Vin check at a Honda dealer. If he has service history paperwork, that is a plus.

FWIW, I would ditch the power commander and send the ECU off to Guhl for a reflash.

I absolutely adore my 2010. Once I had Daugherty do his magic with the suspension and had my ECU reflashed it has been everything I ever desired and more.

As far as the top case... It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the OEM Honda rear carrier brackets with an adapter installed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    AmpForE likes this.
  14. som2002

som2002 New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't even need the dealer to check for open recalls. http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx

Megadan likes this.
  15. NeedPetrol

NeedPetrol New Member

United States
    Would love to get my hands on one for that price that doesn’t look like it’s been ridden by a child. I want manual trans tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk