Should I remove my throttlemeisters?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Suko, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Suko

Suko New Member

I currently have throttlemeisters which were put on by the previous owner. I am looking into installing grip heaters such as these Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heaters :: New Enough Motorcycle Hard Parts . This requires removing the grips so my question, is it safe to attempt to remove the throttlemeisters? Would I be at risk of damaging the throttlemeisters in any way? I would like to put them back on after putting the grip heaters on. Any tips, tricks, things I should be aware before I go ahead with this?

Thanks!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    YOu have to remove the Throttlemeister to be able to install the heated grips. Use WD40 and warm soap water to pull them off the handle bar.

3. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    You will have to remove the Throttlemeister to install the heated grips but you won't have to do away with them. You can put them back on when you are done installing the heated grips. As Scuba stated, the only reason they have to come off is that you have to remove the grips, which can't come off unless you take the bar ends off.

You're not posing any risk at all the to Throttlemeister. I've had mine on and off several times for various reasons. It is a simple allen bolt that holds them on. Just unscrew the bolt and they will come right off.

As far as removing the old grips are concerned, use an air compressor with a blower nozzle. Put the end of the blower nozzle right up under the grip and blow. The air pressure will break the bond of the glue that is there. Keep blowing while you slide them off and it will make things easy. This is of course only if you are saving the grips. If they are the stock VFR grips, do yourself a favor and trash them. A set of ProGrip 699's will cost you less than ten bucks and are SOOOOOOOO much more comfortable than the stock grips. If you're not saving the grips, take a razor blade, slice down the length of them, then just peel em off. Changing the grips on the VFR was the most important mod I've done for comfort. Even the Sargent seat doesn't do nearly what just changing the grips has done for me.

The wiring should be a breeze. You will have to find somewhere to mount the switch and chances are that you will want to make sure you get the rocker switch instead of the toggle. It will look better and probably be easier to control while riding.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There is always the chance of an accident when installing any new equipment on a motorcycle. I know one guy who was doing almost the same exact thing you are attempting using soapy water to facilitate easy removal of the Throttlemeisters. He removed the right hand mechnism with no problem using an allen wrench, When removing the left hand bar end weight, he dropped it. He was not wearing shoes at the time.It landed on his foot and just days later he lost the nail on his pinky toe.

I wonder if I should re-post this in the "accident" thread? BTW, he recovered nicely.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks for being in details you are deserve a star :)

6. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I have no job and no life... I might as well be useful to someone lol.

7. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

Two things to add to Meatloaf's details (other than not dropping the throttlemeister on your foot)
    -You'll need to trim the outside of the right grip to allow the throttlemeister to make contact with the sleeve. A razor blade worked fine for me.
    -For heat control, I got one of the adjustable ones from Aerostich so you have more range of heat control. With the toggle, it seemed for me that low was too low and high was too high heat most of the time.

8. Suko

Suko New Member

Thanks for the info, I just ordered a set of 699s along with the Aerostich grip heaters. Also a ZG double bubble while I was at it!

9. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    Are the 699's suitable for a '98?

10. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I think so Boosh, I wouldn't see why not. AFAIK, the throttle tubes on a 5th gen are the same size as the ones on a 6th gen.

11. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I'm considering new grips for my 90vfr. I may as well go with something heated for mine. I plan to ride in the cold. Any suggestions on type? Pretty sure I want them soft. Also, I want the throttlemeister. Should I go heavy ? Less vibration?