Should I stay or should I go...?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by BMD, Aug 1, 2016.

1. BMD

BMD New Member

Hi everyone, I've read so many good reviews of the VFR, I went out and got one. Now, I'm having second thoughts. At 54, 6 ft. 4 in. and 220 lbs, I don't know if this is the right bike for me. Concerns: the bars are too low, the seat is uncomfortable, pegs are too high, engine is really hot. I know I can improve the comfort thing, but my biggest concern is that when I take a turn, even at a moderate speed the back tire wants to slide. I don't know if it's normal for this bike or not, but it make me pucker every time. I'm on Dunlap Sportmax road smart tires. Yes, I have inflated the tires to 36 psi and 42 psi.
    I hate to put $750 to improve comfort, only to sell it later at a loss.
    If there is something I can do to fix this, I'm all ears.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, Don't go second guessing yourself quite yet, but first, get that air pressure down to say 33-34 both front and rear for starters, that's to much what you have. Then it's hard to tell here not knowing you just what to say , other than give it time. odd you say it wants to slide out? I'd have to see this in person to be able to give any sort of advice. Curious though, what was your last bike?

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    You say you got one, which one 4,5,6 gen? Any mods? How old are the tires? Has it been looked after or abused?
    The tire pressure you posted are maximum psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Everything you have concerns about can be fixed, as a lot of us have done so ourselves. Peg lowering kits, heli-bars, Sargent/Corbin/Custom seat, all of these options are available for your 6 Gen (2002-2009). The trick is finding these at less than retail prices OR maybe find a member local who has one or more of these options on their bike you can sit on and try before you buy.

Although your concern about spending the money and then finding they don't work is valid. I'm sure as long as you keep your stock equipment you can sell the bike in the stock condition and sell the add-ons for closer to what you paid for them.

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, guess I should of looked at his info......

6. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey for years I choose to ride other bikes and still stuck around, what other bikes are you looking at ? But there are mods that should help some

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If the rear is sliding at a "moderate" speed, get the bike checked out. Something is haywire.

Brand new bike? Brand new tires? Could be the problem also.

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    No offense meant but losing a little weight, increasing your core body strength and leg strength so you can use them to take weight off your arms, back and wrists will help tremendously in riding more proficiently. Some Youtube cornering videos might help too. ANY bike will feel more comfortable and your riding proficiency will improve with the above changes. Me thinks that helibars, in many cases, are used to compensate for lack of the above body changes. If you're sliding at moderate speed, something is badly wrong that is going to get you hurt sooner rather than later. A VFR ridden well won't slide at "high" speeds.

9. blackvfr

blackvfr New Member

United States
    I'm 6' 4" 245 + or - 5 lbs here and there, I have a 6th gen. I wish I could lower the pegs just a inch or 1.5" and I'd be in heaven (Any links to such an item would be great) This is my first bike and been riding her for 5.5 months just about everyday. When I wear jeans I seem to be most uncomfortable but, Work slacks are fine, allows the knees to bend freely. The bike handles fine though, shuffles me around with ease, just a little less bend in the knees would be great for me, the bars are actually perfect, might rise them up a hair for any endurance riding. BMD you should stay and go get ya some Bridgestone T30's and raise them bars up a bit..

10. BMD

BMD New Member

My last bike was a 2001 BMW r1100rt.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting the hicup you're having coming from the Beemer where they should be close to riding style. I was sure you where going to be coming from an HD. Then it all would have made sense, this SMH here.

12. BMD

BMD New Member

Sorry for the lack of info. It' an '04 with 12,500 miles on it. It's been well takin care of. The owner is about my age. The bike was spotless, clean, fluids good and garage kept. I don't know how old the tires are, but they still have some life in them; probably second set of tires for the bike. The only mod is the bars have been raised a half inch.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you go to VFRDiscussion, send a PM to member 'BusyLittleShop', he makes peg lowering kits for the 6 Gen.

14. BMD

BMD New Member

I went with the psi in the manual. I will try a lower psi.
    Thanks.

15. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    There are several things you can do to improve the comfort and basic performance. First thing I would do is get different tires. I am not a fan of Dunflops. I much prefer Michelin Pilot Road 2's and 4's. Best tire I have ridden on. Not saying it's the best out there, just that I have personally ridden on.

For the footpegs, yes you can go with the BLS footpeg lowering blocks, they work great. I had them on my 5th gen. I definitely do not recommend the adjustable footpegs that are commonly found on ebay. They push your feet outwards and make it awkward. I had them on my 6th gen and did not like them at all. On my 7th gen, I went with Buell footpegs and they are my favorite. $35 for both of them and all it requires is a little grinding on the footpeg where it slides into the rearset (1/16th of an inch maybe) and a bushing. Real knee saver!

Yes, the bikes are warm, but once you are moving it's totally bearable IMO. If you are touring or riding twistys the heat disappears completely in my experience.

As for the seat, my butt prefers Sargent over Corbin. Best thing to do is get a custom seat. Most affordable thing would be a seat cushion or pad like an Airhawk.

With a little bit of money and time, you can have a bike that is a gem!

16. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    My first look would be at the tires, specifically their age. The tires have a code on the sidewall that gives the month and year of manufacture (google it for your make). Anything over 5 years should be given a good lookover, especially in the NE where winters on sub freezing concrete can accelerate the hardening process of rubber. Could be they are not giving you enough grip. Second thing I would look at is the settings on the rear shock. Prior owner may have tuned it to not optimal settings for your weight.

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Expvet hit it on the nose, you'll figure it out and will be very happy you kept her.
    If you do decide to keep it you may want to upgrade your suspension with
    http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/
    Did both my front and rear now its like a magic carpet ride--- HUGE difference
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you do or decide

18. BMD

BMD New Member

What I have found is that the BMW is sport TOURER, while the VFR is a SPORT tourer. The BMW is made for large people, the VFR, not so much.

19. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    The RT is more up right and longer wheel base and more comfortable compare to the VFR for sure.
    Check http://vfrworld.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=4 for seat and heli bars to help with your issue. Good luck :thumb:

20. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States