slip ons

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey out there, I'm shopping for a slip on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

2. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Scorpions are nice...they fit on in about 5 minutes, they never need repacking, they have a lifetime warranty, AND they sound great! ;)

I have a high mount oval carbon fiber Scorpion on order right now. I'll post some pics once it arrives and is installed.

3. Donrocco

Donrocco New Member

4. vfrrider

vfrrider New Member

5. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Got a Yosh RS-3 on mine...love the sound and love the Yosh.

RF

6. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Just a little info. AZmotorsports.com offers VFR Discussion listers a 10% coupon on purchases for mentioning you a lister and they carry the Two Brothers line at really goods prices to begin with. ;D

Larry

7. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Finally got my Scorpion mounted and I have to say that it sounds GRRRREAT! 8) Nice growl but not too obnoxious. Cars can now hear me coming so I feel a little safer. Also, the heat from the pipe is so minimal that I can reach down and touch the pipe while it is running! A+++ for Scorpion.

BTW, I ordered mine from the UK so it's a High Mount! It looks great...carbon fiber oval race can!

8. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

So when do we get to see pics and hear sound files? ;D

9. vfrcrazy

vfrcrazy New Member

Map
    Gotta question...the folks at D&D did not recommend running their pipe with a K&N filter without using a PC to re-map. I plan to remove my K&N so I will be running the pipe to D&D design (stock filter). What are the possibilities of engine damage if I use the K&N with the D&D (no PC)?? I did notice alot of deceleration popping going on.
    By the way, the D&D is very obnoxiously loud! :eek: My neighbors will hate me!

Chris

10. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Chris,

That is a very good question/topic for discussion.  I would not suggest you run a K&N without something to re-map especially when you have replaced the stock exhaust with an aftermarket...neither do my shop guys.

The bikes these days run lean enough as it is to pass emissions tests before selling.  When you put on an aftermarket exhaust, that just makes it even leaner...like dangerously lean.  Lean meaning less gas flow.  So I suggest to put on a Techlusion instead of a Power Commander because the Techlusion is 1) much better IMHO and 2) it's cheaper.

You can find a lot of information at http://www.techlusion.us/home.htm for Techlusion products.  Techlusion was developed by the same gentleman who developed the Power Commander.  He left the company and waited his 5 years because of a "No Compete" contract and then put out his new product called the Techlusion.  It works perfect in those parts of the country where the weather is different from the time you wake up and the time you ride home from work.  It is not affected by humidiy, altitude, etc.

Check out the web site.  It's really cool.  Go to F.A.Q. first and then you can click on "How It Works."  It will give you loads of information.  Plus.....   it's only $189!

Anyway, thought you all should know that their is more out there than the "Power Commander."

11. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Lean is bad because it makes the motor run hotter. Unless the bike is running so lean that the engine begins to overheat, you are not likely to ruin the engine. However, you might cook your thighs! A richer fuel mixture actually cools the engine down a little. My wife's 98 runs 10-15 F cooler with a PCII than my stock 01.

Supposedly, the FI system can accomodate some changes to the engine's airflow characteristics without having to remap. This is why you can run a K&N, a pipe or both without having to do anything to the bike. I find it very hard to believe that the D&D is so much freer flowing than any of the other aftermarket pipes in combination with the K&N that it would damage your engine. I ran our 98 for probaly 10K miles with the full 2Bros system and a K&N before I installed the PCII and never had any problems. The bike has a little over 57K miles on it and is running as strong as ever.

Now, if you are racing the bike or always running it really hard (like a race pace) THEN the extra heat could get to be a really serious issue. For regular street riding and spirited backroad scratching, you should be fine. I would leave the K&N in the bike unless it just runs like crap or you see the heat staying over 210-220 F all the time. Of course, this is just my opinion so user beware ;-)

Adios,

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone have a pic of a mounted Scorpion exhaust? Also, I just bought a used MIG carbon high mount. I haven't found alot of information in the way of reviews. What can VFR riders of the world tell me about that? Thanks.

13. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Here ya go, Wes.   ;)

[​IMG]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice Bike, VifferChic. That exhaust looks 300% better than stock. Very similar to my MIG. Now we can get a picture with you on the bike ? ? ;D

15. fyrmann

fyrmann New Member

Has anybody heard of Jardine pipes. I can get an oval carbon for $400 Can.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

i gots a V&H titanium... i likes it alot... sounds like a jet engine, or id like to think so... kinda runs hot... but...

...i likes it alot ;D

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I would NOT recommend Two Bros... I have one and I'm not very happy with it. I had to file away at the passenger peg for about an hour to get the can to attched to the bracket with out rubbing on the can. The quality is just not what I would expect from a $360 titanium muffler.

After alot of research, I would recommend Staintune. As soon as I return from my all expenses paid vaction to the middle east courtesy of the US Air Force, I plan on buying a Staintune and putting the Two Bros on EBAY.

Anyone interested in a used TBR C-4 Titanium can? It has about 2500 miles on it and sounds pretty good. I've polished the end caps with 600 grit so they shine more than a normal TBR can would.

8) RIDE WELL 8)
    HWORTH

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I bought a new High Mount SS STAINTUNE pipe for my 2000 and it sounds GRRRREAT.

Pricey but quality is first rate and never needs repacking. It comes with a snorkel but why would you want to do that?

:D

Shes lost a little on the low end but midrange as well as highend response has been sweetened...

Time for my fix in the Florida sun...

VFR4ever

19. Jake

Jake New Member

I've got the micron low-mount. Hight quality, sounds awesome, not too loud, looks great... Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Jake

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I have had 2 slips ons, the first a Vance & Hines SSR2, second a Yoshimura RS3.

I actually prefer the deeper/throatier sound of the V & H. You may to chekc e-bay, I got a brand new one about 50% of retail prices.

Good luck