Smith River Road

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by Byrdarian, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Byrdarian

Byrdarian New Member

United States
    Map
    Being new to the VFR I wanted to take it out and play a little. A friend recommended taking Upper Smith River Road. It left Hwy 101 just north of Reedsport and was supposed to end up in Drain. The Ride was beautiful. Lots of scenery as the road follows the river. At some point I missed a turn or turned (always thought I was heading strait). It ending up in a very curvy mountain climb (little nerve racking due to the number of rocks in the one lane road) but was very nice and lots of time to hit Vtec. I ended up on Wolf Creek Rd a little outside of Crow and wanted nothing more then to go back and fourth over the corners for days at a time. I ended up in Eugene on Hwy 126 rather than Drain and Hwy 38 but it was a great ride for anyone in the PNW especially Eugene or central coast area.

Also if any of you know other good rides please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

My riding season got cut short last year but a good run I made was up the coast to 34 in Waldport then 20 back to the coast in Newport then back home. Long sweeper and some tight technical stuff. Seven Devils coming out of Bandon heading towards Coos Bay is a great stretch of road as well.

3. flailer

flailer New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh Man!!! i LOVE that road - ride!!!

Have you tried any of the side roads back there? Living in S. Oregon for so many years i found it amazing to find paved forest service roads.

Here is an old pic of my camping site, on one of the small side roads back there...... (let's see, where that pic...)

[​IMG]

4. Byrdarian

Byrdarian New Member

United States
    Map
    I have not got to try many of the side roads. Weather has permitted me to do it again and it was very fun. Since I actually knew where I was going it was a lot better. I hope to try more side roads there and closer to home (apparently there area a lot in the Coquille and Myrtle Point area that are very windy and very unused due to changes in logging). I also hope to have a GPS when I really start exploring since I've never been to several of these areas. Though if you want to show me some of the areas sounds like a fun ride or camping trip...

5. flailer

flailer New Member

United States
    Map
    Making a base-camp and moto-ing the area sounds like a great idea to me - Someday works for me LOL
    It's all good!!

If memory serves only a couple of the side roads connect and go through - and only one goes through to hwy 126, to the north.