Smooth Clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by AWP34, Sep 13, 2015.

1. AWP34

AWP34 New Member

United States
    Hi VFR's. Today I went on a ride with my buddy who has an 05 Repsol with a Barnett clutch. I was fortunate enough to have the privilege of riding his bike. Boy did that clutch feel smooth. I want to replicate this experience on my 08 VFR.

My question is will getting the Barnett Clutch kit along with better springs make my clutch feel smoother? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    There are a lot of variables at play here, but have you tried bleeding your clutch? Also, lubricating the pivot point can help

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    No, Barnett friction plates will make your clutch more grabby and have more chatter when launching above 4000 rpms. On the other hand, heavier clutch springs will stabilize the clutch pack and reduce chatter and grabbyness, while adding a heavier feel at the lever. I tried Barnett Heavy duty springs, with stock plates and they raised the chatter point from 4000 to 5000 rpms, with little change on the lever effort. Then I went with 99 pound Barnett "mt-91" springs, they are a work out in traffic, but I can now smoothly launch at 10,000 plus rpms. Later on, I swapped on a Brembo radial master cylinder off of a 2009 Ducati monster 1100 evo. This reduced the lever effort a little and added some more feel and smoothness.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  6. AWP34

AWP34 New Member

United States
    Hi CandyRed,

Thanks for the input. As always you help out whenever I have a questions. I thank you for that. Is this the correct Barnett spring kit? Clutch Spring Kit
    Part# 501-73-05067
    Also any suggestions on where to get the brembo radial reservoir ? Do I have to do anything to the lines or special fabrication for this application?

Can you also post or pm me pics of your master cylinder setup. I would like to make sure I get the correct parts. Thanks again.

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You're welcome bud. I think you're talking about the regular 10% heavier factory springs. The springs that I am talking about are 99 pounds/inch and significantly heavier.
    As far as the brembo radial master, I just got lucky and found it on ebay. It was a factory take off. It bolted on to my clip ons fine and I am still using the factory clutch line.
    One day when I am bored I would like to upgrade the clutch line and slave cylinder too.

501-99-06091

501-99-06091 Barnett Spring Kits 501-99-06091 old part# MT-91-6 Usually Ships in 3 to 5 Business Days $21.51 $17.95

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BARNETT-SPRINGKITS&CartID=

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Much as I love buying new bits for my bike....
    I wonder how much of the "smooth" clutch operation was due to maintenance of the clutch lever and pushrod. In my experience, pulling the pushrod out and lightly polishing this with 1200-grit sandpaper really improved the clutch action, and along with cleaning and lubricating the lever pivot and coupling might be a worthwhile zero cost thing to try before buying a new clutch pack.

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Not with my 800. Its just the nature of the set up. Too much clutch, not enough spring, makes for a light lever with a LOT of clutch chatter.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

12. AWP34

AWP34 New Member

United States
    Sounds good. Can you please post a pic of the correct brembo reservoir as there were many listed on Ebay and I would like to make sure I purchase the correct item. Thanks

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Mine was from a 2009 ducati monster 1100 evo. When I get home I can see if there are any numbers on it.

14. AWP34

AWP34 New Member

United States
    Ok So I had the pushrod attended to and still way too hard of a lever. Can you please send me a pic of your Ducati clutch master cylinder installed on your bike? Does it work with the stock reservoir? It looks as it is all one piece from the schematics I have viewed. I could be mistaken. Also can I use the stock Ducati lever as I have been told the longer levers make it easier to shift as well. Thanks again for your time and help.

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    No it does not work with the stock reservoir, it is a radial unit. uploadfromtaptalk1443973603108.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443973661452.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443973692839.jpg