So in other news

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by RogueRC24, Feb 22, 2022.

1. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
  2. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Love it!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Hell yea man.

... can that .... can that racoon in pic 1 help reseat a set of v4 carburetors? I always feel like one set of extra hands would make it so much easier.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    If your mini-Mancave starts to smell like catsh1t, I know who to blame...
    IMG_4823.JPG

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Who the fuck is...

Robbie Spencer?

Nice shed. I always appreciate good bike storage.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Sent him a text.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  8. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    ^^ We just happened to be in Northridge visiting family when the poster showed up on CL. Unfortunately we are 3hrs from LA county.

I used large gravel under the shed to keep the cat shit down to a min. I may have to screen it off as well. Fookin catz.

Crazy is what I call our fake racoon. His eyes make him psycho looking, so he is now the bouncer for the bikes inside. :D Not sure his hands are steady enough to work on V4 carbs.

9. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Nice !, Love it ! any place you can go to hang out with your bikes, and keep stuff high and dry is a beautiful thing.

Love the Freddie....I mean Robbie, poster too.

Speaking of bike sheds and man caves, my man cave furnace shit the bed last Friday and im still trying to get it fixed (we're still -20 to -30 C here).

Some guys showed up today to fix it, its a Rinnai wall mounted direct vent propane furnace, pretty high tech (too high tech really), but its all that would fit up there. I specifically asked the company if they had guys that "know Rinnai" -- "Oh yes, we service those" they said, then they sent Dumb and Dumber to sort it out. I fired them both after 5 minutes of their bumbling around while they were reading my owners manual trying to understand how this thing works. I honestly knew more than they did "uuummm guys, please put that burner cover back on, pack up your tools and leave, im not confident that you have sufficient experience to service this unit....thank you"

I called the company and said "dont bother sending me a bill" .. Now waiting for company #2 to show up on Friday. Good help is hard to find.

Sorry for the hijack and rant

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  10. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    No worries Cat... happy you were watching them. You get what you inspect not waht you expect.

11. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    My daughters place is the same way Stray. One thing after another that I had to teach myself to fix because they had no idea, even though they are the pros. Hang in there. Maybe the Suzuki is jinxed. Sacrifice a chicken perhaps?

12. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Stray, find the stainless rod that is the flame detector rod ..... take it out and clean it with some Scotchbrite to take any surface contamination off it..... could be as simple as that. I have to clean mine on my tube heater every couple of years, and it doesn't even look dirty. When dirty, unit cycles as if starting up, but shuts down when 'no flame detected'.

13. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Sounds like we need to start another thread on how to repair furnaces! Actually I'm sure there will be more than enough expertise here to solve most common household appliance issues.

14. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Ray I know what the problem is, just dont know how to fix it (yet).

the flame rod is working fine, it doesnt detect the flame because the flame isnt there.

Its got a 2 stage burner, bottom 2 burners light off an electrode, top 2 burners ignite a few seconds later (separate Solenoid valve) via a flame track (if thats what its called). there are 2 flame rods, one for the lower burners and one for the upper burners.

My problem is, when the unit is cold or has been off for 10 min or more, when it goes to fire up , the initial 2 bottom burners light up ok, then I hear the solenoid valve activate for the top 2 burners but they dont light, then after 5 seconds I get a code 11 ignition failure because the flame rod doesn’t detect the flame.

Seems for some reason the flame wont track up to the top burners or the propane supply to the tope burners is not good when the unit is cold

if I manually re fire it a few times , I get a few code 11's in the process but get some heat into it, it will all fire up ok and stay on. the upper burners will also come on and off fine as it reaches temperature or I demand a higher temp setting.

So, its related somehow to the temperature of the burner area.

It was taking me about 10 manual starts to get past the ignition failure, now after I cleaned it all its doing better (2 or 3 tries), but still doesnt always like to fire when cold.

Anyway, we'll figure it out.

Back to Rogues, Thread.....Sorry Rogue, my apologies for hijacking

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  15. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    ^^ it's all good.
    It was kinda cool, I picked up a fixer upper mini enduro last night and it was so nice to just open the "bay doors" and roll a motorcycle directly from my truck into the bike shed. We pick up these little bikes sometimes thinking they would be a fun project and most of the time they are just a PITA and get dumped a year later.

16. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    kinda like buyin' a 93 GSXR

17. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    At least your GSXR is attractive and still has potential. These little beasts are just annoyingly cute with little to no potential. lol

18. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    My neighbour has a little Kawasaki enduro dirt bike in his shed (70's) its blue, probably 70 cc. been thinking about trying to score that off him, but he keeps mentioning its for one of his grand kids, but its been non running since he bough tit 8 yrs ago. But I dont want to buy it if he really is going to fix it, the Kid should have fun on a dirt bike before I get after it.

19. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    8 years?... yeah not happening. Plus, whoever the kid is/was, has now likely long outgrown it, both in size and interest I'm sure. People just don't want to admit things, but when they can say, "it's for xxx", they can justify holding it for a long time.

There are better "dirt bikes" that can be destroyed by a kid and his friends. Find out how old this "kid" is and offer to help find something suitable. Like running and non-vintage.

Go for it.

20. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, grand son #1 out grew it by a mile a while ago. Grand son #2 is still a possible fit, but I think ill approach him anyway. Worst he can say is "no"