Soft bags on 6th gen Interceptor

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by bikeman1945, Jun 18, 2013.

1. bikeman1945

bikeman1945 New Member

Map
    I want to use some soft bags on my 2007 Interceptor. I've heard from other owners that the heat shields on the mufflers get hot enough to melt most materials. Does anyone have experience with this issue and have you found a material that can be placed on the heat shields to keep the bags from melting?

Bikeman1945

2. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I had some cortech bags prior to getting my hard bags and did not have any issues. The bags themselves had some sort of insulation around the area where it was close to the exhaust.

3. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

I had a relatively cheap set with the silvery material on the bottom inside edge of both. They ALWAYS are riding on my heat shields the way I strap them down...no problems at all though. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the bags you get have that heat reflective material on the areas that will touch. The rest of the bag would probably melt, though...

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Like DeVeFR says, there are no problems what so ever with the Cortech Bags. I have made three trips now to CAlifornia with mine. One was a 5 week 7000 mile trip which included going from the Canada USA border direct to Sacramento non stop except gas. 17 hours riding. Then parts of the trip were riding in Arizona 100 * heat for hours. If those riding conditions are not hot enough to cause trouble, then nothing will. But don't carry ice cream in those things.

[​IMG]

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I have two sets of soft saddlebags (Cortech, FirstGear) and never had a problem with either one.

Rollin

6. mneal

mneal New Member

I have some bilt ( cycle gear house brand) I use for touring and zero issues.

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Just get a Ventura rack and be done with fooling around wondering why you tried any onther soft bags. :cool:

8. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    I vote Cortech, well made. Just have the tail bag at moment, maybe sides later:

[​IMG]

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Yes. For sure. I can't say I have a single complaint about my Cortech bags. I am sure the Ventura are fine as well. I just have not worked with them. Too bad I was not equally happy with Cortech Jackets, ie Tourmaster. I ended up giving my saddle bags away to a newer VFRW member here a couple months ago, only because I acquired new to me hard bags. Well, didn't really give them away. He had to buy me a beer. If I loose the trunk bag, it will be offered to him as well.

Higway star. If you get the saddle bags, they really do connect quite nicely with that trunk bag as a set.