Bike for Sale SOLD -- MODS PLEASE DELETE -- 1998 Black VFR800 5th Gen for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by mstraub72, Jun 2, 2020.

1. mstraub72

mstraub72 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Good morning all,

I've ventured into the cruiser realm, snagging that huge Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, and I need to move my awesome, trusty 1998 VFR800 5th Gen. TL;DR version, my Kijiji link. It's written for those not acquainted with the awesomeness that is the VFR, so it will be a little gushing for us VFR veterans here. :)

Photo's are all included in the ad.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1504218672&siteLocale=en_CA

Cut / paste of description from the Ad:

I (can’t believe) I’m selling one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned. The legendary 5th Generation Honda VFR800. One of the best sounding bikes ever made, and to paraphrase a motorcycle magazine article I read once, “It doesn’t do anything the best, but it does everything amazingly well.” There are faster bikes, more aggressive cornering bikes, higher torque bikes, etc…but nothing that I’ve ever ridden that puts so many positives into one package. It’s not a crotch rocket, but it’s not a sport tourer. It’s somewhere awesomely in between. You can sneak up over 250km/h, or you can comfortably cruise the main drag. You can use it as a daily commuter or you can hop on and drive to California, which I’d do without hesitation if I didn’t have a new cruiser taking up garage space too. I’ve had the pleasure of taking this bike on some of the best roads Alberta, British Columbia, and the entire North West USA has to offer for the last 8 or so summers, and it hasn’t so much as had a hiccup after fixing the only two known issues with this model.

I absolutely love it, and you will too. I could be a starter bike, as it’s very compliant and comfy, but being it’s 800cc’s, it’s would likely be best owned by someone with at least a little experience. It is deceivingly good at touring, and I’ve personally done over 14hrs in a day on it.

The details:

1998 Honda VFR800 (5th Gen)
    - Black
    - Corbin Beetle Bags. Looks amazing on the bike, and they’re like some magic Hobbit sacks…can’t believe how much stuff you can jam in there, even vs. the new big Viking bags I have on my Triumph Rocket 3!
    - Rare bike, as it has that awesome gear driven cam set, so you're not dicking around with timing belts, plus, gives this awesome supercharger whine when you rev it.
    - Micron slip on exhaust. Honestly the best sounding crotch rocket I’ve ever heard, barring some nasty Ducati’s.
    - ~100,000km's. Haven't done the valve adjustment check yet, but it also doesn't sound like it needs it.
    - Got it around 30,000km, and has only run Motul 5100 the entire time.
    - EBC Red pads all around, pulls down like a champ, especially considering the VFR uses that linked brake system. Fantastic.
    - Added SpeedBleeders to every bleed nipple on the calipers and centre point drain, as well as the clutch side. Makes bleeding brakes and clutch a one person job, nice and easy.
    - Fixed the two known issues with it…only ever let me down once, and that was the stock (weak) Regulator / Rectifer. Added a better aftermarket one, as well as the “VFRness”, some custom built oversized wiring harness, all to improve the charging system. Been solid as a rock since.
    - Lowered the bike 1” using a custom kit. Kept everything to set it back to stock.
    - Added a smoke DoubleBubble windscreen. Really helps shape the wind, and looks great.
    - Seargent aftermarket seat. SO much better than stock.
    - Tires are the Bridgestone Battleax. New in 2018 I believe. Probably less than 3000km’s on them.
    - New aftermarket (improved, beveled bearing vs old ball bearing) steering head bearing.
    - Tank bag straps installed already, and the tank bag would go along with the bike.
    - Throttle lock, basic thumb flick style.

Only Cons:

- Previous owner tipped it on it’s right side, so there are scratches on the saddlebag and the handlebar end. Minor on the bar, but you can see them obviously on the bag. I never cared enough to get it painted.
    - Outdoor temp gauge works, but always seems to read about 8 to 10deg higher than it really is.
    - No passenger hand grips. Commonly missing on this bike. Never had them when I got the bike, and I’ve since added an aftermarket replacement for the rear seat cowl, which also has a little crack after I accidentally hit it with my knee when throwing my leg over it one day.
    - Brand new battery this summer.

That’s literally it…I can’t think of another con. Even though the lights are standard H4 Halogen, the 5th Gen VFR is famous for its bright pattern,

As you can tell by the long, detailed explanation about this bike, I absolutely love it. As such, I won’t move one dollar on the asking price to be dead honest. It’s a fair price for a lot of bike, that will do everything you want it to do and more.

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't blame you for sticking to the price. You're gonna miss it I'd say, why not keep it for when the big R3 just don't float your boat once in a while. Good investment to keep if it were me and I'd find the room....

mstraub72 likes this.
  3. mstraub72

mstraub72 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I hear ya, man. For sure. If I get lowballed, she'll stay with me. The only issue currently is this pandemic...it's making life snug, so having some spare cash never hurts. Hope you're doing alright out there in ON...I'm around Edmonton, so we've happily squashed the outbreaks in this area very quickly.

4. nunia720

nunia720 New Member

United States
    Update this please!!!!!

5. mstraub72

mstraub72 New Member

Canada
    Map
    She just sold for the full price last week. Thanks for the reminder, I'll edit the title to Sold and / or delete thread if that's allowed.

nunia720 likes this.