some random musings

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by vikingGoalie, Apr 26, 2021.

1. vikingGoalie

vikingGoalie New Member

United States
    So I got my 5th gen in the fall of last year. I've put roughly 1.5K miles on it since then but probably the longest saddle time at once was maybe 30 minutes.

This last weekend went to visit my parents and a bit more tooling around. It's roughly 2hrs each way and a little under 100 miles each way.

So first off, can't wait on a new brain bucket that i ordered, have an AGV coming and it's supposed to be a pretty quiet helmet. My bell that i have is noisy, it's tolerable with ear plugs but still pretty loud.
    I don't feel like I put *that* much weight on my hands but i definitely could feel it in my wrists. Not terrible but definitely noticeable.

I had replaced the stock shield with a givi d200s. I definitely like this shield better then stock. YMMV. The Sargent seat I have is awesome.

the VFR just gobbles miles up. I had a rather spirited run for about 20 miles where another rider came along and we played follow the leader for a bit. thankfully no cars with swirling lights were around ;)

the thing that really surprised me is i over used my groin muscle on my one leg, so guess I was gripping the gas tank a bit too hard. I play hockey (as a goalie) frequently and I definitely am feeling it now after playing hockey yesterday. But from all the hockey my legs are in pretty good condition and for an old guy ;) I'm pretty flexible. So this part was unexpected (the sore groin muscle).

2. Derek A Sinclair

Derek A Sinclair New Member

United States
    Cant say I have ever in all my years heard anyone talk about groin strain from riding a motorcycle. Do you have tank grips? They would certainly help you not grip the tank so hard. As for wrist ache, I just started street riding again after a few years off (I have been track riding on smaller, lighter bikes) and I am noticing some wrist ache after an hour or so.

3. vikingGoalie

vikingGoalie New Member

United States
    i know it's weird, the groin strain. It's possible i had over used it playing hockey, didn't realize it and the ride just put it over the edge (and then while sore of course I played more hockey and then it was really sore). I'll give it a few days and once the soreness has gone away go back in the saddle. weather is nice out, new lid will be here tomorrow so itchin to get back on.

4. pfoley

pfoley New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just switched in a Sargent seat on my 5th gen and noticed immediately that the seat doesn't hold you in place as well as the stock. Seemed to slide around a bit. Although, I found the Sargent much more comfortable, and haven't experienced any strains.