Sometimes it just isn't meant to be...

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Captain 80s, May 17, 2021.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    CL ad pops up. Three CBR600F2 in various states, 2 with titles. Bodywork, exhaust systems, extra engines, extra wheels, suspension, etc. $200 each or $500 takes all.

I send it out to my buddies, everyone agrees it looks promising. I don't have the room. One of my other friends doesn't have the room. Another just built a Costco shelter that is pretty much empty. He says no. I remind him that he talked about doing some flips on familiar Hondas (I know F2s pretty damn good, I have built and raced 2), and if he's not willing to contribute money, time or space, I don't know how he expects to do any.

OK, we're gonna go look. I'll front the cash, he'll front the space. They are still available, we are the second to inquire and the first flaked. Sat afternoon we hook up my 3-rail to his '93 Ford with canopy and I'll drive my '71 GMC. Cruising down 522 heading into Monroe the GMC starts losing power. Fuck. Pull over. Starts to run better, continue a little further... nope. Fuckity Fuck. At least there is a large shoulder and I am well off the road.

"Are you outa gas?" The fuel gauge in the GMC doesn't work but I'm pretty damn sure I am not out of fuel. "Really don't think so, I should have plenty." I had recently filled it helping a friend grab his sailing dinghy. I do have a gas can on me. He drives back one exit and fills the gas can. Sitting there waiting I look up in my mirror, State Patrol. He is super cool, doesn't even ask for ID or anything. Explain the situation. We're gonna try some gas, but I have AAA and cell service if not. OK, he'll check back on me in a half hour.

Friend calls. His truck won't start at the pump. Fuck. I am contemplating walking back to get the can, but really don't wanna walk on the highway. I try the truck and it starts. I am pretty familiar with the highway and know the next exit isn't far with a nice pull off, and it's down hill really soon. OK, let's see. Get going just up to speed, starts to die. I throw her in neutral and am able to coast on the shoulder to the exit. That's better. Fuck.

His Ford is not starting, even with a jump box and arcing the solenoid on the inner fender. His starter is toast. Now I am contemplating walking down to the gas station at this exit and buying a overpriced gas can. I put all my tools and tie-downs in the cab and a Jeep pulls up. Do I need help? Will you PLEASE drive back to the last exit and grab the gas can, my friend is there and is also broken down. Yep. Cool.

He returns just as the State Patrol pulls up. The Jeep guy thinks he's getting pulled over and starts acting really strange. He gets out of his car and starts telling the Stater I was just helping this guy out. The Patrolman and me are kinda looking at this guy like, yeah dude, everybody knows that. Jeep guy settles down and leaves while I thank him again. I tell the Stater the same thing, if this isn't it I have AAA and cell service. "I'm in a cool spot here, right?" Yep, no problem. He gets back in the Cruiser and when he is leaving he rolls down his window, "I love your truck." I still do, too.

Pour in the gas, crank it a bit, vroooom! OK, guess I was outa gas. Pull down to the gas station, send a pic of me at the pump to my friend and start filling up. Click. Pump shuts off. Hmmmm.... must have just back burbled a bit. Click. Suits off instantly. 8 gallons and I can see gas. Fuck. Not out of gas. But it's running.

I know the back roads up to the previous exit, but absolutely NO shoulder. Here we go. I make it back to the Chevron. I go in and buy us a couple beers while we wait for AAA for him. Standing there drinking my beer and I get to witness a drug deal go down, so that was some entertainment.

OK, this is already long, so I'll try and wrap it up. He gets loaded and somehow I am able to limp my GMC home with no issues. The tow truck beats us to his house cuz I took back roads all the way home.

Now over a couple more beers, we contemplate. The guy amazingly says he's gonna pull the ad until we decide what we're gonna do. We had planned on a ride the next day, so we tell him we will ride out to check out the bikes. If we like, we will make a deposit and come back for the stuff in the next couple days. I know the area that this guy lives and started wondering. "Hey will you text him and inquire about his driveway?" Pavement ends and it's about a half mile of really rough road. Then you get to his driveway. He's says that's when it gets pretty steep and really rough.

We're out. The universe is trying to tell us something. Thank him for his time and say he will have no problem making the next deal. Sunday we had a really nice long ride over on the peninsula (on the new-to-me VFR!). Worry free, with no regrets. Yeah, I would have liked to see the stuff, and we could have rode the dual sports out there, but I got enough shit going on, and both of us now need to fix our trucks. We did try. Next time.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Great read brother … had something similar some years ago …. Pulled the plug on the deal. Smart move….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Thorinn Oakunsheyld New Member

Canada
    Map
    Sometimes the best deals are the ones you walk away from, and live to tell about.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    YOu have had a pretty good adventure...or misadventure and have yet to spend any money. I say you are already ahead of the game. Good luck on the rest of your life! LOL!