SP2 wheel on gen 5...worth it?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by sfdownhill, Dec 29, 2016.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello vfrw community. I am considering converting an RC51 SP2 front wheel for use on my gen 5. The eventual destination will be the SP2 wheel between VTR or F4i forks. I will be using RC51 SP2 front brake calipers and F4i [or 03-06 CBR600RR] front master cylinder.

Does anyone know what the weight savings using the SP2 wheel will be?

Will the rotor offset line up, ie can I bolt my stock gen 5 rotors to the SP2 wheel and use them w SP2 calipers on VTR or F4i forks?

Do I need to consider custom axle spacers?

I know I will have to source wheel bearings that fit the 20mm gen 5/VTR/F4i axle.

Thanks for any input.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe.. you too huh? I gota laugh at myself now, back a year or so ago when I did my checking out what worked for parts gathering purpose, what I came to consensus was, get a whole 51 front, everything brakes wheel etc. thing was i wanted the sp2 forks, but the triple needs to be the sp1 so??? after all that hoop-la of going over what you get for the time and money, I ended up super hawk lowers, F4 brakes with a Jamiie fork up grade. it ended up best bang for the buck IMO. still wonder though as the other reason for 51 goodies was the brakes being like nice stoppers, IDK. but anyway, just felt I needed to say something. That all said, I didn't think much about the weight of the wheels, more a styling Que, I thinking there isn't enough differance to try and make one work over the other IMO, FWIW.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  3. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

No idea what the weight savings,if any,would be Sfdownhill. How much does your stock 5th gen. front wheel rim weigh?

I do however have a stripped down stock front wheel rim (with MicroBlue Racing ceramic bearings installed) off my '04 RC51 that I can take to work with me tomorrow and toss up on the shipping scales to get you an accurate weight for the SP2 rim.

Attached Files:

4. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    RVFR - yep, I followed a very similar trajectory to yours; I got all worked up about upside down forks, etc. Now I have a pair of RC51 SP1 forks and a pair of 2010 ZX10R forks that I will be putting up for sale next week. I have all parts to do both a VTR or F4i front end; my decision will be based on which forks will be least expensive for Jamie Daugherty to rebuild into quality shape.

I'm just noodling around with the idea of a front wheel (SP2) that might weigh 9oz-16oz less than my stock gen 5 front wheel.

Stoshmonster - thank you very much for offering to weigh your wheel and share that data. I look forward to learning what you find. I'll weight my gen 5 front wheel when I get home Tuesday and post the result.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    There should be no cost difference for the parts; the VTR, CBR and most likely RC51 all use a common 20mm Showa cartridge, so any replaced parts (valves and shims) will be the same cost, likewise a set of new springs will be the same cost. You might need to replace fork bushings or seals depending on which forks are in better shape, but again these will be about the same parts cost.

If you already have the parts, I'd go straight to the 600F4i front end, as these have the compression adjuster and are 43mm instead of 41mm so stiffer. The 5th gen mudguard will bolt right in (you'll need to make some simple mounts to meet the 600F4i forks' rear mount), as will the 5G wheel and brakes. And of course, all the 600F4/CBR929/954/SP1/SP2 calipers will bolt straight on.

I used 6th gen triples and bars, and had to shim the ignition downwards by (IIRC) 3mm with washers so the steering lock would work. I also fitted tapered roller steering bearings while I was in there.

6. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm learning to accept quality input from experienced guys like you. It turns there are a significant number of fitment hurdles with the RC51 wheel, and the performance gain would be negligible. I'll stick with the stock gen 5 front wheel and rotors.

Jamie Daugherty gave me the same advice about front forks for delinking my brakes. In a nutshell, he said 43mm forks would possibly provide a slight advantage with racing brake pads and slick tires piloted by an expert on the track. For the rest of us, 41mm forks are more than adequate.

Terry - thanks for the added input on forks. I'll keep the 3mm washer-shim for key/ignition in mind if I go w gen 6 triples.

Cheers all.

7. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Info as promised Sfdownhill.

Stock RC51 SP2 front wheel rim scales in at 9.45 lbs.

Attached Files:

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

SP1 or 2 forks with KTech cartridges, Carbon Partz radial caliper adapters, Brembo Monoblock Calipers and 19RCS radial master cylinder, BrakeTech 320mm Axis full floating rotors and HEL brake lines. Done. The front end would be worth twice as much as the bike....but it would stop and work excellent. :potstir:

9. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Stosh - thanks for the empirical data. I really appreciate it. Great looking wheel.

Norcalboy - that is definitely the way to put together a front end that goes to 11.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

If you're gonna go, you have to go loud.

11. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

All good stuff NCB.

Substitute the KTech cartridges with a pair of Ohlins NIX 30's with custom extended fork caps from Kyle Racing and now we're talking.

Amen to that my friend.

C'mon Sfdownhill,you know you wanna. :heh:

Attached Files:

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Listen to the man, he knows of that which he speaks.

13. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Stoshmonster - Can you please share three SP2 front wheel measurements?

What are the:

-width from one brake disc mounting surface across the hub to the other disc mounting surface?

- width from the outside of one wheel bearing to the outside of the other wheel bearing?

- center-to-center distance between adjacent brake disc mounting holes?

14. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    If you're trying to use the OEM front wheel and RC51-type forks, you can't. Well, not easily (anything's possible with a machine shop at your beck and call...) I'm away on hols, but I have an SP1 wheel and some dimensions noted: 117mm hub width, brake disc ID is 94mm, disc to disc (outside) is 142mm, disc OD 320mm, 12.5mm disc offset. RC46 disc to disc is also 142mm, but with 296mm OD discs with 62mm ID and 17.5mm offset. Bearings are 22x47x14 for the SP1 and 20x47x14 for the RC46. I think the main problem with using the RC46 wheel is that there are no 62mm ID discs with 17.5mm offsets and 320mm ODs--at least not Honda ones. You might be able to do something with OEM 12.5mm discs and 5mm adapters, but you'd be machining stuff...

Ciao,

15. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, thanks JZH. That's a fistful of data. I'm still just considering putting an SP2 wheel onto an F4i fork conversion for my gen 5. Your measurements are a great help.