Spencer's Moto Care seat upgrade report

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by soloii-74, Sep 15, 2012.

1. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I considered Corbin, and Sargent, but I wanted a stock look, and I also found Spencer's price point and features appealing. So I sent my spare seat to Spencer (his first name is Frank, but he goes by Spencer) and he remade the seat with Supracor as the prime modification.

Wow! :whoo: What a difference. :thumbsup: I don't have a bunch of my own extra padding, so I was finding my stock seat somewhat uncomfortable, even on kind of short trips. :spankme: :wedgie:
    Spencer said that the seat would have a "break in" period, but I have noticed an immediate improvement. With one week of riding it has been great. I even switched seats and did a back-to-back comparison with the stock seat, and was impressed at the improvement Spencer made to the stock seat with all of its seat pan limitations.

Spencer's service and turn-around was top notch!

I would have included a pic, but it looks exactly like my other seat (and like any other stock 6th Gen VFR seat, for that matter) So, I don't think there is any value in including a pic :unsure: . It's what is under the cover which makes the difference in comfort.

Here's his web site link
    Page 1

Can't wait to see how it feels during an extended ride. It will be interesting to see if my kids notice any improvement on the passenger (pillion) part of the seat too - since he re-worked that too.

2. 91talon

91talon New Member

Awesome! update again in a couple weeks. :)

3. Durk

Durk New Member

Good stuff, seems like a pretty cost effective option. I may have to ship my seat off to him this winter.

4. 00viffer

00viffer New Member

Looking to have this done over the winter. I'm still too short to ride with a passenger haha.

words.

5. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    I have long been considering sending my stocker off to him to have it done and lowered for comparison to my unmodified Sargent, thanks for the review, makes me wanna spend more money now!!

6. Heli-Pilot

Heli-Pilot New Member

Awesome! Can't wait to hear additional reports. The stock seat is very uncomfortable for me (not much natural padding either!), so this looks like a great option!

7. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Second week commuting - 3/5 days - still no long rides, but still a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

I definitely like it.

Going to be at least 3 weeks before I can get a longer ride under my belt with the seat.

8. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, last Tuesday, I rode the bike on a 340 mile ride from middle GA to the Orlando area.

If I had tried it on my unmodified, unimproved seat, my a** would have started a rebellion. :spankme: :mmph: :2guns: Last time I rode more than 40 miles (before the seat improvements) I was not at all comfortable :hurt:.
    This time, my behind didn't start letting me know it was time to dismount until just shortly before I got to my destination, well after my upper back and arms were telling me the same :horn: :yield:.

Bike rode great, was pretty comfortable :couch2:, and I would definitely do it again. :thumbsup: I would prefer to not be as pressed for time, and ride with some fellow Viffer riders, but all in all it went well. I got the bike, "new" truck and their owner :wink: home in working order. :whoo:

9. 91talon

91talon New Member

Awesome!
    Now I want to spend money...

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you like it. Have heard great things about his work. Since I'm vertically challenged at 5' 6 I had my seat cut down and when I called him to see if he could replicate it , he wouldn't touch it ---Bummer

11. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    That is a bummer. :pout: The VFR seat pan is so oddly shaped there just isn't much room for thinning while still accomplishing the primary goal - comfort. :couch2: I see you have already lowered the bike, so if you want to further lower your behind, you don't have a whole lot of options, since the seat just does not much margin in that area.

12. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

I'm 5'6" and can flat foot with my sargent seat and work boots. With shoes, my heels are barely in the air, but I can force them down.

13. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Scott, Roy has an '02 - the '01 position and seat configuration may be a little different than the '02 and up bikes (5th gen vs 6th gen).

- Also, a little food for thought - Roy may also have a longer torso - and so, have a shorter inseam. Height alone is not an indicator of how well the bike fits the rider.

- by the way, I'm a little over 5'10", and I would not want my seat lower - even if I did, the stock seat pan just does not allow for much reduction in the seating position - even with Spencer's skill in modifying it. Spencers Moto Care provides a less expensive path to a more comfortable seat than the two aftermarket designs, while retaining the stock appearance and profile.

14. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    As I add more and more miles, I have realized that the seat is pretty much unobtrusive now. :thumbsup:

While I adjust my body position to make sure I consciously use my core for support and not my arms and hands, I don't have to constantly shift my arse around to avoid any discomfort like I did with the stock seat.
    It is now in the category of "better than I could imagine" :whoo:

By far the best comfort improving mod for my viffer.... so far - Hats off to Spencer! :hi2:.

15. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Further long(er) distance ride report. Rode to Barber Motorsports Museum yesterday (had a great visit with elf rider - from vfrd & son), and I again want to thank Spencer for a job well done! :thumbsup: Nearly 9 hours (in two parts) of riding in one day, and my backside is not even in the least bit sore - Not once during the ride did I want the ride to be over because my seat was uncomfortable. Absolutely an incredible confirmation of the quality of Spencer's seat modifications. The benefit vs price with spencer's mods makes this the best comfort mod I will ever do to my VFR. I will do forks/shock, and maybe helibars, but hands down, this is the one mod that has transformed my vfr into something I can and will ride for intermediate to long distances without a second thought. :biggrin:

2012-12-28_14-20-15_436.jpg