Sprockets For an 2006 VFR

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Ravage776, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Ravage776

Ravage776 New Member

I am looking to change the rear sprocket on my 2006 VFR. i wanna drop a couple teeth. I have not bee able to find any place yet. I wwould appreciate if someone could let me know a good place to pick up sprockets for this bike. i believe stock is 43 teeth, so i would need a 41ish. Thanks!

2. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

What is your goal,to gear it up or gear it down. Most guys increase the number of teeth on their rear sprocket. When gearing down or lower you would increase acceleration but loose a little top end.

3. Ravage776

Ravage776 New Member

I wanna gear it down............increase bottom end, and decrease top end. Did i get it mixed up? Should I be increasing the rear sprocket?

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    You had it backward. Like Eddie said, for better acceleration and a lower top speed you would want to either drop one tooth on the front or go up 2 or 3 on the rear. I haven’t ordered from anyone yet but if you do a search either here or just Google it you'll find lots of sources.

Sprocketcenter.com (LINK) has a couple of kits for VFR's. I'm thinking of going up two on the rear when I order mine.

Action

5. Spike

Spike New Member

6. dale-j

dale-j New Member

I got a great deal on an RK XSO and Vortex sprockets combo from an outfit called the "Sum of All Parts", they list a lot of them on ebay and if they don't have it you can contact them and they'll make it up for you. They offer both the OE 530 size as well as a 520 conversion for the VFR.

7. Ride Red!

Ride Red! New Member

Germany
    Map
  8. gwooly

gwooly New Member

I believe I got my black aluminum Vortex 45T rear sprocket from indysuperbikes.com. I think it was about 50 bucks. You could also check kneedraggers.com.

I went -1 on front and +2 on the rear.

9. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    RR,
    Quick question, why do recommend -1 in the front as opposed to +2 in the rear? You said going +2 on the rear will turn you bike into a wheelie machine, but going down one tooth on the front sprocket is going to give you an even lower gear ratio (106.7 vs 104.7). That should make the front come up even more, right? As you also pointed out a smaller front gear may reduce your chain life. -1 in front will also throw off your speedo even more than +2 in back. Maybe I've got my #'s messed up, if so I apologize in advance.

Action

10. Ride Red!

Ride Red! New Member

Germany
    Map
    Your numbers are right. The lower the gear ratio, the more likely your bike is going to wheelie. Since going -1 up front nets a lower gear ratio than going +2 out back, then yes, theoretically, your bike would be more likely to wheelie by going -1 up front than going +2 out back. I didn't mention anything about your bike being even more likely to wheelie by going -1 up front because I assumed people would be able to infer that based on the numbers (just like you did.)

With regard, to throwing off the speedometer, since going -1 up front nets a lower gear ratio than going +2 in the rear, then yes, going -1 up front would throw your speedometer even more off than if you had gone +2 in the rear. One again, I just assumed (and maybe I shouldn't have) that people would have noticed the pattern and have been able to figure that out by themselves (like you; good job!)

I don't encourage anybody to experiment with their gearing (but I don't discourage them either.) What I was trying to say is that if you are going to experiment with your gearing, you may want to go -1 up front before going +2 in the rear simply because it is less expensive and less time consuming. If it turns out you don't like it, then sure, try going +2 in the rear.

Edit: I originally said -2 when I should have said +2.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I went +2 on the rear (45T) and got a Vortex sprocket from SumOfAllPart.net. It gives you much better low end than stock, but does not turn the bike into a wheelie machine. To fix the speedo error, I installed a SpeedoHealer and now the speedometer is spot on.

12. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    RR,
    Sounds good too me. Thanks for the reply. I'm replacing the chain and both sprockets this summer and I've been going back and forth on weather to go -1 in the front or +2 on the rear. I'm leaning toward going +2 on the rear since I'm going to take it off anyway. Oh yeah, like your new fender.

Action

13. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    just a little note, i noticed some of the chain kits have the master link as a clip style and in the honda sevice manual it says not to use that type of master in big bold lettering. they only recommend rivet style master links. i got my sprockets and chain from motorcycle pro shop in ca. for a reasonable price. i went down 1 in front and up 2 in rear. i havent put it all together yet, still have to get a chain riveting tool. im sure it will have no problem pulling the front up and it will lose some top end but i figure i can always change it later if i dont like it

14. Ride Red!

Ride Red! New Member

Germany
    Map
    If your stock sprockets were 16t up front and 43t in the rear, going -1 up front and +2 in the rear would give you a gear ratio of 3.00 (111.63% over stock.) That's quite a significant change.

And don't forget, you can always start by going +1 in the rear for a gear ratio of 2.75 (102.33% of stock.)

The problem with all this is you're going to be spending a lot of money and time experimenting.

Note to Action. I'm familiar with your neck of the woods. I was raised in El Paso. Northern New Mexico is very beautiful. There are times I really miss wide open spaces.

15. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    i know its alot of gearing but im one of those people that once its in my head i got to try it. i dont think this combo is right for a lot of people but i
    dont really do any long rides with it im mostly in the city. my main point was about the master link. i know it was a topic brought up in an earlier thread

16. demoncleaner

demoncleaner New Member

Are you not concerned at all about an aluminum sprocket wearing very quickly? I want to get a 45 tooth rear for mine, but aluminum in my experience doesn't last very long.

17. TheoriginalDuplicate

TheoriginalDuplicate New Member

ok... I ordered a 46 tooth sprocket and they called me up and said the closest they had in stock was 45t and 47t wanted to know if I would take on of these instead. I agreed to take the 47t sprocket. So has anybody done this? Am I gonna be doing wheelies in 3rd gear? Part of me loves doing wheelies but 3rd 4th gear... I'm not too interested in doing that.

18. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think it will be all that bad. First gear will be a little short and I think you will have to lengthen your chain. Going +4 on the rear is not that much of a difference from going -1 in the front and +1 in the back which is what some of my buds with 600's do. Expect you gas mileage to go down and the bike to feel stronger. I think Ride Red has done a lot of playing around with ratios and can probably tell you more of what it does on a VFR.

Action

19. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    i dont think your going to worry too much about doing wheelies with that set-up. it will difinately make it quicker in the lower speeds than stock but its probably not going to just wheely but hammering on the gas. i just put a set on mine which was 15/45 and its alot easier to take off and seems to run the rpms quicker but i yet to really get the wheel to come up . im not for sure but with the 47 tooth it should be about the same ratio as mine, i think. dont forget you'll need a speedo calibrator to get the correct mph after the gear sway. good luck

20. TheoriginalDuplicate

TheoriginalDuplicate New Member

right now if I'm setting strait up and I'm going 3-4mph and mash it the front wheel will come up every time around 8 to 9,000 rpms. I guess I've never counted the teeth. Maybe the previous owner added a tooth in the back already? I did find a couple days ago he put a K&N air filter in when I removed the tank to disabled the pair valve. (or maybe it's just because I only weight 155... I don't know?) speedo calibrator... Any suggestions?