Start / stop switch, and horn fuse blew.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Rsparky, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Gen 8. just a hair over 1k miles. Not my first foray into cycle electrical chasing, but there's just not a lot here. The manual also has this fuse powering the rear brake light switch. Strange to me, but that circuit has its own fuse. I checked up under the rearset, the switch seems fine. I have installed a few leds to the brake circuit, but all splices are soldered, shrunk and wrapped, very water tight. Not like water is an issue, I still haven't had a chance to take this bad girl into some rain, here in Phoenix.

I've got an overnight trip planned tomorrow, so I'll be bringing fuses, but I'd like to figure this out. I did replace the fuse, and it worked fine for errands this morning. Multiple starts and stops.

Anywho ideas?

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    One word
    WARRANTY!!!

3. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    True. Maybe after the trip. It seems so minor though, to have other people touching my girl.

4. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    My research shows that you have a brake light switch on the master cylinder. The question is, does it have the same problem as the 5th gen?

My switch is not insulated and thus if it touches the bar it shorts and blows the fuse. Thus the controls cannot be rotated until they stop, because the switch is the item that stops the assembly at the bar.

If the last change you made was adjusting the brake lever/master cylinder forward all the way until they stopped, that's a hint that this may be the issue. Rotate them back a fraction of an inch to stop the contact of the switch.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    C'mon, man you aren't riding in 118 degree heat, r u ??

6. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Knight, you may be right! I installed my bell to the handlebar, and adjusted them both forward. I don't see much in the way of uninsulated contacts though. Nonetheless, it seems fixed.

And yes, kind of. By the hottest part of the day, I'll be up in the higher elevations, with 100° highs. Much easier to handle. I commute everyday, so the heat doesn't really get to me. Keep the water flowing.