Starter Motor replacement HELP!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys! I just bumped into this forum today as I was
    looking for some help on finding a replacement unit for my '86 VFR750F Starter motor. Is there a swap that can be done with another bike? Honda no longer makes this unit and Im up "the creek" without a paddle!
    I am desperate on this issue bcause its my only transport to->from work, and push-starting is a bit**!
    Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY apreciated! thanks a bunch!
    -Sergio

2. mozilla.v4snob

mozilla.v4snob New Member

What's the problem with your starter motor? Is there structural damage to the casing or the reduction drive gears? If it just won't "go" anymore you can usually look around town for an electric motor shop and they will rebuild it for about $60. The brushes in my starter (same year/model) are going out as well. I was quoted $26 by a local shop to rebuild it. Might be a good option as the real ones are getting harder and harder to find. From what I've seen, parts on CBR hurricanes from the same era are very compatible. Look on your Starter for a honda part number and then go to www.ronayers.com and look up the microfiche for a 1987 CBR600F (hurricane) to cross-check the part number for the starter on that bike. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I will get you contact info for the electric motor shop in my locale (SLC, UT) and maybe they can help you. Good luck

3. mozilla.v4snob

mozilla.v4snob New Member

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks guys! got that new starter from ebay!
    Waiting to receive it, shipping is slow.
    Thanks abunch!