Starting Issues

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by gazzzwp, Mar 31, 2020.

1. gazzzwp

gazzzwp New Member

Jersey
    Hi Folks.

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a 2015 low mileage Crossrunner, regulary used now (although with the by previous owner probably not). Bike has a new battery which I changed a few weeks ago thinking that might be the problem, although now I have suspicions that the problem lies elsewhere. Bike is garaged.

The weather in the UK has been on the chilly side (7 degrees ish). Press the starter and it looks as if the battery is dying and it struggles to crank. Try again and the bike just starts perfectly.

When the bike is warm the problem generally gets better. I just sense the problem starting to get a little worse. This morning it took 3 presses.

So what could it be the problem? Is it a design issue? I know from touching base with people on the various Facebook groups that the problem is fairly widespread. But not everyone confirms that they have it.

Does it depend on the year of the bike?

I would imagine that the VFR800F experiences the same issue. I cant imagine that this aspect of the electrics is different so I'll make enquiries on that.

I have some time on my hands so I propose to take a look at the solenoid. Looking for poor contacts/connections etc,

The starter looks accessible enough being at the front of the bike but alas it's a drain down and removal of the lower rad to get access.

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I answered on bikers oracle vfr forum