Storing your bike for the winter

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jcm, Jan 26, 2003.

1. jcm

jcm New Member

I've heard a number of different opinions about bike storage. On December 15 I pulled the battery on my 01 and put it on a trickle charger. I changed oil, filter, and drain plug washer. I topped the tank off and put in Stabil, lubed the chain, and did a thorough cleaning. I expect to take it out around March 20, after about 3 months of storage. Do I dump the gas, oil, and filter? Just the gas, just the oil?

2. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Hey, I'd love to reply to your post, but it's been in the 70's here for about two weeks and I have no flippin' idea how to winterize anything... When it get's chilly, I wear different gloves.

3. jcm

jcm New Member

Rick, you dog! I uncovered my bike the other day and sat on it in the garage at -5 degrees. I close the garage door when I do this because there are a lot of people (not those reading this) that wouldn't understand. Onward to spring, but don't forget "longing makes the heart grow fonder"

4. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Sorry, bud. But I feel you. Hate to tell you it was 80 at work today...we have what we call a "Santa Ana" wind blowing now, out of the desert. Have a good ride planned for Sunday, too, with about 10 guys, bikes of various kinds. But if I were in your shoes, I'd be sitting on it in the garage, too! There has to be someone out there who has insight into winterizing bikes...

5. avigar

avigar New Member

Change the oil after having the bike in storage. This is due to moisture and condensation in the oil. You shouldn't have to change the oil filter if it was new. The fuel should be ok since Stabil was added and the tank was full.

6. Greatbrit

Greatbrit New Member

Rick wrote<Sorry, bud.  But I feel you> :eek: Happy riding and now back to storing your bike.