strange rattle when stopping

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DeannaLee, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Recently I have noticed an odd sounding rattle when coming to a stop that appears to be coming from the left side. It does not happen every time and does not sound mechanical to me, which is to say it does not sound metallic. Almost rounds like something rolling down one of the fairings.

At first I thought maybe a gear box issue, chipped gear or something. But again it does not happen all the time, it does not sound metallic and the bike has had no loss of performance.

I have not taken the plastic off yet to get it the once over and honestly not even sure what I would look for. It is just plain strange.

Anyone ever had this or something like it??

2. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Need more info.

Does this happen when you apply the brakes?

Do you only notice it when moving?

Is the clutch in or out when you hear the noise? Have you tried pulling in the clutch when you hear the sound?

Can you duplicate this sound when the bike is stopped by revving the engine?

First think I would do is a full inspection of front and rear brakes, as well as take off the fairings to inspect all bolts and look for anything loose that could be making that rattling sound. If it is more of a "crunching dry leaves kinda sound" it could be your flapper valve. Far off chance, but never know.

One more thing. Are you a girl, or a guy? Just curious is all, because I have known guys named Tracey, Kelly, Cary, Stacey, etc....

3. f7jl

f7jl New Member

Map
    This is funny. I have the same sound. I thought it was coming from my front brakes. This is somthing that just started this year. I have an 02 w/ 48K on it. I am stumped and just hopped on here to search. Let me know.

thnks

F7JL

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Clicks or clunks on stopping can be worn steering head bearings or normal brake pad movements within the caliper.........or someting else???

5. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Just got home from work and when I went back and read my post it was not as clear as I thought it was sos let me answer the questions.

It does not happen when applying the brakes, only after I have stopped.

It has happen with the clutch both in and out but have not tried pulling in the clutch
    when I hear the noise.

Flapper valve? Not sure which you mean? Is it in the air box.

I did try revving the engine but the sound did not come back.

I hope to get the time this weekend to pull of the plastic and give it a thorough inspection and with luck I will find something.

Sorry if it is a disappointment but I am in fact a guy, Deanna Lee is the name of my old boat.

Oh yeah, the ride is 99 w/ almost 34k.

Thank you for the help!

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    At that mileage, if not done previously, the steerings bearings should be serviced: cleaned, inspected re-greased, adjusted.........or replaced.

7. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I'd almost guarantee you that its the flapper valve. Its job is to increase/decrease the volume of the airbox and to help with engine noise. Mine makes the same noise.

8. Hyssy

Hyssy New Member

Hello!

I was just searching around the net looking for some help for my current situation. It seems this might match something that I am experiencing.

I have a rattle that seems to appear when the engine is warm and either idling or in gear with the clutch in. The sound is in regardless of clutch position, but is soon drowned out by the revs when moving off. It is a very distinct rattle that is coming from (when sitting on the bike) the top of the rear right cylinder.

I have posted the following audio clip on a local bike forum (netrider.net.au) and we're not having much luck identifying it. If this is similar to the sound the OP (and others) have, I would appreciate any information!

http://files.me.com/hyssy/9hyy7l.aiff

I've taken the bike to the mechanic who claims it is a standard running noise, yet it has not been there consistently throughout the life of the bike...

To be honest though, I have as much mechanical experience as a bar of chocolate so I can only go on advice, but I appreciate anything I can get.

Bike is an 07 model with 26,000 kilometres (16,155 miles) and had the valves checked at the last service (the way in which they were checked is cause for concern but I can go into that at a later date...)

Thank you for any help.

9. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Flapper valve huh. Makes sense considering were the noise seems to come from. Hmmmm, if it is the flapper will a defect be obvious when I open the air box? I am actually getting ready to take the bike to NC for ten days, trailering it down but have alot of riding planned, will this cause damage to the engine?

I think I will pull the tank and see when I get down there just to be safe.

10. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Just to close out this post the noise I was/am hearing is in fact the flapper valve, once again the knowledge here has helped me figure out another vfr mystery noise. Thank you all!!!!