Street / Sport Tires - Metzeler M7rr Vs Michelin Pilot Power 3 ?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by John451, Oct 19, 2014.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I'm just about to replace my Michelin Pilot Power 3's which I quite like as good all round Street / Sport tires which have worked well pretty much everywhere epecially good through the twisties with great grip at full lean and quick linear turnin important when I'm with my Superbike riding friends but the tire Store I'm having my tires replaced have suggested trying the new Metzeler M7rr as an even better as Street / Sport bias tires with similar milage.

Was wondering is anyone is running the new Metzeler M7rr tires yet and what do they think of them ?

2. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

TBH, i'd say get Pilot Road 3's... I know they're not a full-on sport tire, but I run them on my R1, and they've never left me wanting for grip. I will definitely be going to those (or the new PR4's) when my VFR needs new rubber.

3. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    I can't speak for the Metzler's, however, I would always choose a Michelin over a Metzler. Michelin quality = :thumbsup:

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Had PR3s before my previous Pirelli Rosso2s before my current PP3's so no.

I found the PR3s overall grip is good especially exellent in cold and wet contitions but when riding hard over long distance mountain twisties ie 30 or more miles of constant flip floppig 10 to 30 mph corrners found they are too slow on initial turnin then they seemed to quickly flop over eventually becoming tiring. It is obvious when you look at the PR3s flat profile with steep sides so found them not suitable for my requirements.

5. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    My suggestion is Pirelli Angel GT, which smoked PP3s in a few semi-quantitative reviews I read. I would imagine the PP4 is comparable, but you're talking about the last generation of s/t tires. Improvements have been made.

Honestly, since there should be a head to head review by now, the question is: PR4 or Pirelli Angel?

edit: I was seeing "PR3" but I just realized you were talking about the Power 3s. Still recommend the Angel.

6. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    can't speak about the metz, but put PR4s on and have found them very good. Michelin say the handing on PR4s is more netural than PR3s.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    +1 on the PR4's......no complaints here.

8. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I 2nd the Angel's, although I got about 20% less mileage then the PR3's. I liked the M5's but they got 20% less then the Angel's. I've just started with the Continental Road Attact 2 EVO's, they seem comparable to the Angel's for grip, I'm hoping to get better mileage, if not I think my quest for the perfect tire will end with the Angel GT's.

9. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

PB Mag n UK, just did a tyre test the Metzeler came out as joint #1 for the road with a Pirelli Rossi 2. I've got PP3 on my 5th gen at the mo, worked great all over europe until the last blast day before home, the rear started to let go unpredictably after 150miles of hard hot twisties, also let go on a 6th gear acceleration in the wet on a vorn road surface, the Pilot Pures I had before never did any of the above, pity they stopped making it.

10. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Just my opinion as I have no experience with Metzlers, stick with Michelin. I have tried some others along the way probably won't stray again. I currently have PP2CT's on the VFR and PR3's on the Trophy. I had Pirelli Angel ST's on the Trophy before and the PR3's win hands down. I never got comfortable with the Angel ST's in cold wet conditions. The PP2CT's feel absolutely planted everywhere and every time.

Cheers,
    Glenn

11. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Interesting, tried to look for a review on Revzilla but looks like the Metzeler M7rr's are not available in the US yet ?

Have asked around my mates, only one rides with a mate who has M7s on a 'Blade and he thinks they are very good but may wear quicker than the PP3's.

12. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    I just put a set of Metzelers on and have been hard on them. Great tire! Not the M7's tho. I went from Dunlop to Metzeler. Better feel with Metz"s. These are Sportecs, maint. mgr. at my local Honda dealer said the CBR guys like 'em too.

13. Danny800

Danny800 New Member

I've got a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's on my 06' and I adore them. I came off of a set of Pilot Road 2's. The 2's lasted about 9500 miles before beginning to scallop and show wear bars... currently the PP3's have 4000 miles and are just starting to get a bit of a flat spot (I do a lot of highway commuting).

The only real difference is that the PP3's take a noticeable amount of time before they are warmed up on sub 50 degree nights. They feel mushy until you get a mile or two on them.

But other than that, they've never stepped out, been excellent in the rain, and grip for DAYS in the twisties.

I think they'll be my go-to tire on my next set.

14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I decided to give the M7s a go and had them fitted yesterday and 1st day tour have done 650 kms today.

The day started cold overcast with some light rain, a bit of freeway followed by back country hwys and twisties then ending with mountain twisties, so far am loving them a lot.

Linear smooth turn in, stable at full lean through high speed sweepers. Very easy flip flopping through the tight left right left right 15mph corners I liked the PP3s but so far I like M7s better.

One surprising bonus is they are very smooth on ripply surfaces, maybe not plush but not far from it and better than any Sports tires I've used previously.

15. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    After 4 days and 1240 Miles over very variable roads of Highways, Country course chip roads with high speed sweepers, gravel roads and long long distances of Mountain range twisties and varied Temps from 44f to 88f with some rain and hail thrown in have to say I still liking these Metzelers M7rrs a lot.

Metzelers Sportec M7rrs rear after 1240Miles.
    [​IMG]

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Just as a reference below Map is the fun part of our Tour which covers some of the best motorcycling roads in NSW and Vic I've ridden but excludes the run down and back up the NSW Coast to Sydney.

[​IMG]

17. dasvfr

dasvfr New Member

Just had the PR4s put on my 97 and really like them. No adverse condition riding yet, but have been told they are excellent in the rain.

18. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Old thread.old tyres? just looking at a set of M7RR's great reviews on them, are they sort of out of date now compared to more modern tyres?