Sudden muffler delete while riding.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vfrgiving, Nov 15, 2022.

1. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

This was an interesting event, and I doubt any VTEC transition ever sounded this cool. Over the weekend I was riding a highway up grade, and the outlet of the mild steel header collector sheared completely at the stainless muffler link pipe. I didn't hit a bump or anything, just on throttle up hill.. "vrrrrrmmmmmm..BWAAAAAA!!". I thought for a brief second my ears had popped from pressure change, but it was way too loud. This exhaust combo was in place for around 13,000 miles before complete failure.

Luckily the muffler clamp and center stand kept the muffler and link pipe in place and I was able to get home. I'd been sitting on a stainless header set for some time, so I finally got to use it. The sound of an open header VFR is amazing, so I was a little bummed to be fixing it

The break on the bike.
    IMG_20221115_111830_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Removing the old downpipe was easier than I anticipated.
    IMG_20221115_112104_(1080_x_2000_pixel).jpg

New downpipes installed. The red stuff is hi-temp RTV.
    IMG_20221115_112200_(2000_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Finally, the most annoying part of the whole operation was digging the broken piece of the collector out of the muffler link pipe.
    IMG_20221115_111912_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Thumbs, Blackslide and rc24dk like this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh man. Well, at least you were able to limp it home with some nice music.

3. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    That title: "Sudden muffler delete while riding" is priceless! Haha! I can imagine the "wtf just happened?!? Oh, whatever, nice exhaust tone!".

Hopefully the flying muffler didn't hit anything or anyone and nothing of "value" broke in the process. I'd hate to see.. or hear my Laser slip-on bouncing on the road and into someones windshield, etc.

But you sure fooled Mr. Murphy by having the new pipes thought out allready. Looks oh so nice...maybe now I have a good excuse to scrap my old rusty collector and get some shiny bits in there too.

4. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

The muffler didn't go flying, it and the link pipe stayed on the bike. The link pipe end just dropped a bit. In effect it was like I installed an exhaust cut out mid ride.