Superbike School

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by xeipher, Apr 21, 2009.

1. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Hi,

Wanted to know if any members have attended Keith Code's Superbike School. If you did what type of class you took?

Like did you do each levels individually or did you do the complete two day camp.

Also, if you did the levels individually, did you take your own bike and gear or chose to use theirs.

These classes are expensive. But are known to make better riders, would gladly sacrifice a Heli Bar, Corbin Seat if this will help me improve as a rider.

Just want information from people who have done it.

Thanks.

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I've never done it. My wife is signed up for 10 August at the "Vito The Knife Memorial Raceway", also known as NJ Motorsports Park. Money is a bit tight so we couldn't afford for both of us to take the class at the same time. Since I'm gearing up to do track days, I'll get the chance to be on a racetrack somewhat regularly. With that in mind, I decided it would be a hoot for her since she has never even remotely done anything like this in her life. She will be using their bike & gear. After she's done, I'm going to ask her to post here & give her take on the course.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

3. betarace

betarace New Member

4. monk69

monk69 New Member

I took Keith Code's Superbike School (3 day course) back in the late 70's (used my bike BMW/5)....best thing I ever did....I know now days a lot of things(f/wheel braking in turns,countersteering,etc.) are known to new riders,where as back then it was a small group(racers)......But I could try to tell you all that will be learned....but taking the course is a far better way to learn........Best money ever spent......Monk

5. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Ok so the first thing I will do is complete the MSF 2 course before doing Superbike School.

My next question is to take your own bike, when you said new tires - did you mean spanking new or something meeting the requirement amount of tread?

Thanks.

6. betarace

betarace New Member

Bubba Zanetti is an MSF instructor and VFR knee down rider he can help on the MSF materials etc...

As far as their bike v. yours, it's really your call. I used their bikes due to the travel involved (Barber/Laguna) and for purely cost reasons. For $200 for their bike you get fresh tires, gas all day, zero prep, zero stress. Your max liability in a total loss of their bike is $750 (or so, check the CSS website) or actual repairs whichever is less.

On the tire issue, I asked the same question the other day and got this general guidance...

"Tires will get failed if they have excessive wear and flat spots, flat in the middle, bald, cupping, dry and old. If we know in advance, it’s not usually a problem for Will to change them, and cheaper than about any shop ($20 a wheel)."

in retrospect, I would have no worries about bringing my own bike, and will be doing so (the Ducati 999) for level 4. I think there is some merit to learning on your own machine in that you are more familiar and will be learning on your bike.

As far as the "risk" level, a very personal call, but if you follow the rules and view this as a school, the chances of something bad happening are remote as it's not full on race/track pace. That said I would say 80% of the accidents I see at CSS are on student bikes (rather than school bikes) and in 90% of those incidents I would attribute to cold tires, too much throttle/brakes and not viewing this as a learning event.

Adrenaline is your enemy when learning... use your head.

7. monk69

monk69 New Member

I wouldn't want to have more than 2k on my tyres........Monk

8. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Looks like I wont be able to MSF Experienced Course. Here in San Diego there are only two schools offering it. One does not have a class scheduled any time in the future and is just building waiting lists. The other has classes but has a policy of not allowing bike with after market pipes. Don't get this policy but anyway.

Checked out Lee Parks school too, but he has very little dates in California and those that are available are sold out.

9. monk69

monk69 New Member

Don't worry about the MSF Experienced Course....Pass "Go" collect Keith Code's School.....No political crap....You'll learn a lot more on bike handeling....with Keith....There is nothing wrong with MSF,with the exception of them having to stay within government regulated policies,related to what they can say/teach,etc.....I've taken MSF's classes,and keith's...all of them are good and worth while....MSF will cover more how to survive the mean streets....but you can buy David Hough's books and learn more.......and you can re-read them every winter during the slack times......Monk

10. xeipher

xeipher New Member

I guess my last question is, and keep in mind rank amatuerism here. At the end of level 1 will I have the confidence and have received appropriate training to lean the bike over when riding.

Cos here in lies my dilemma. 650 + 75 (cos I do not have leathers that zip up) means I cannot add any mods to my bike for atleast the next 6-8 months. But then whats the point of doing up my bike, if I don have the skill to actually put it all to use. Like the experienced riders do.

11. monk69

monk69 New Member

Yes,you'll be able to lean it. How far? Further than what you did before you took the class.
    Class Vs. bike mods......After you take the class, you'll have a better idea what mods will help you & your bike become more compatible.....Monk

12. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Keith Codes Superbike school

Did the Keith Code Superbike school at Road America in Wisconsin.

Took the class about 17 years ago, that's how lone they have been going strong. Only did the 1 day school. They supplied the 600's. At that track you didn't get to use the whole 4 miles. You were split off before the front straight and redirected into a short chute that connected with turn 5.

Learned a lot, and would love to lay out some cash and do the 2-day. Knowledge and experience is priceless. You won't be disappointed.

Little funny tidbit--my best friend and I started 10th and 11th. By the backstraight Todd and I passed everybody. After the 1st lap we were pulled aside and reprimanded. We both grew up racing motocross and our emotions got the best of us. Settled down after that.

13. Jabba

Jabba New Member

I'm doing a level 1 school at Philip Island on May 4th .. on my bike .. I'll post a report :)

14. betarace

betarace New Member

the #1 mod you can make to any bike is rider skill - never forget that

15. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Thanks guys your input helped a lot. I am going to the school. Just lining up the funds and debating my bike or theirs. Another member had stated that the class started at 7AM. These tracks are like 3 1/2 hours away from my place. Which means might have to stay at a motel overnight. Plus at the end of the class I am pretty sure will be really tired.

16. monk69

monk69 New Member

Other than the fact that if you mess up, it's their bike......But I'd rather use my own, since that's the one I'll be riding after school ..... Also you'll see the biggest improvement after class when you get home and ride your favorite local roads.......Monk

17. betarace

betarace New Member

Its 7am sharp - registration and sign all forms again
    7:30 get fittted for leathers etc
    8am rollup and orientation

FWIW they have a great breakfast and all

18. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Yes, I read that too. Another member has put up a really good account of his level 1. Was not complaining,early morning is always better. More alert. Just have to factor in that if it is 7AM, then have to find a motel for the previous night. Also, what time does it end?

Do you recommend to stay in a motel close by, after the class, instead of driving 3 hours keeping fatigue in mind.

19. betarace

betarace New Member

class ends at 5pm-ish then there is an end of day wrap up/survey and you can get the last few questions in w/ Keith or your instructor... so around 5:30-5:45

would be OK driving home, but not riding