Swing Arm Lock Nut

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by mikernet, Sep 19, 2018.

1. mikernet

mikernet New Member

Canada
    Map
    My 1986 VF500F has what looks like a 30mm hex lock nut on the right hand swing arm pivot bolt. According to the Clymer's manual I'm supposed to torque the lock nut while holding the pivot bolt. How exactly am I supposed to do this? The manual says specialized tools are explained in the relevant chapters but I can't find anything. The only tools I can find online are for notched style lock nuts, not the hex ones.

Is there something I can jerry rig to do this or do I need to get some ridiculously expensive tool from Honda?

2. mikernet

mikernet New Member

Canada
    Map
    This is the closest thing I can find that would allow me to tighten the nut while holding the bolt but this isn't for a 30mm hex nut, it's for the notched style nuts. I can get a 30mm socket but then I can't hold the bolt. How do you guys bolt the swingarms back on??

Also, are the torque numbers in the manual based on the torque directly on the lock nut, or the torque when a torque wrench is attached to the tool? The only way I can imagine you can torque the nut while holding the bolt is with a tool like the picture attached but attaching the the torque wrench further out like that will multiply the torque applied to the nut.

Attached Files: