Swingarm stand for '86 VFR700

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by 0dder0tter, Nov 1, 2014.

1. 0dder0tter

0dder0tter New Member

So, I've been thinking about snagging something like this swingarm stand for my '86 VFR700 for doing very basic maintenance work. However, having never owned or even been in the presence of one I have NO clue what to look for. Compounding that, I've been getting contradicting info in the little bit of info I have been able to find.

First off, one place (don't remember where) said that I need a 8mm spool for my bike. Another place says I need 10mm. When I go a look at the bike I don't see any holes for spools like I've seen in pics for other bikes. Since the swingarm is essentially a box does that mean I don't even need spools?

Any light anyone can shed on buying the right swingarm stand for my bike would be very appreciated by this totally clueless dude.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well if you can afford or find one cheap, look for a Pitbull stand or at least a stand that supports spool or non-spooled swingarms. I was able to pick this Pitbull stand up for $80, just missed a deal on a single sided swingarm version for $60! That would have been a steal IMO. That being said, I think that Cycle Gear has some inexpensive versions if you're trying to keep on a budget, not sure if the support non-spooled swingarms though.

Here's a few pics of the Pitbull stand I have.
    IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    What OOTV said. You can almost always find some stands on CL. Been using Pit Bull front & rear stands on my Suzuki for years. Shop around, the retail price on the Pit Bulls can be hard to swallow.

4. Redbeast840

Redbeast840 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have the same stand you linked to. Unless you add spools by welding or drilling into the swingarm, this is the way to go. I would also recommend a wheel chock stand for the front if you don't have one. Holds the bike vertical, and makes putting the bike on the rear stand a lot easier/safer.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

6. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I have one from Cycle gear it works great... of course I also still have the center stand on mine I guess it is like double dipping....LOL

7. Crazy Commie

Crazy Commie New Member

You got a OEM center stand for the VFR700/750?

Oh I hate you. I so need one for myself

8. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    LOL yeah my 86 is totally stock..... needs a refurb bad though...

9. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    I have two center stands, do you double hate me too?

10. 0dder0tter

0dder0tter New Member

After digging around a little more and getting a better understanding of swingarm stands I ended up buying these very similar ones. They have paddles for the rear rather than the spool "catchers" of the first ones I was looking at.

Really glad I decided to ask for advice here and did some more digging. I hope these stands work out as well for me as yours have for you!

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

They look very similar to the Trackside stands from Cycle Gear. I have the Trackside front stand from them and for the most part it works OK but you can tell the difference between one like the Pitbull and this one. The main thing is that is works. However, if I can find a deal on a Pitbull hybrid front stand, which lifts from under the fork or from the steering head (head lift), I'm jumping on it. Passed up a deal on two PB stands, one a rear like the one I already have and head lift only version. BTW, $210.00 for both... local sale only.