Tale of 2 Bikes

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by NISxMO, Apr 17, 2017.

1. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    Good afternoon!

I wanted to introduce myself to the group as, after 10 years of wanting a VFR, I can finally say I am apart of the V4 ownership club! (x2)
    My name is Matt and I live in Savannah, GA. Growing up around my dad and uncle riding sport tourers (previously an St4 and FZ1, now a GS1200 and an FJR) I have always wanted a bike that I could tear up the North Georgia Mountains on as well as have luggage to be able to pack all of my camping gear. When turning 16 I got my motorcycle license and bought a brand new Honda 599 as I was not allowed to purchase a true sport bike as my first. (my parents were no dummies and I can definitely appreciate that 11 years later) To this day I still have that motorcycle and love it but the VFR desire, due to its middle weight size and newer model factory hard bags, has always held my attention. Long story short, these past ten years I have not pulled the trigger on a VFR because quite honestly I could not make up my mind as to which generation I wanted. I loved the factory bags on 6th gens but not necessarily the design nor the sophistication of the VTEC. I always thought I would buy a 5th gen for the FI but even here I was not thrilled with the looks of the bike and finding one with aftermarket bags always seemed to have more miles than I wanted or were never up for sale when I had the money. This brought me to the third and fourth gens to which I feel had the best looks to them, were affordable and remained quite simple. Again I never pulled the trigger on one because A, they didn't have bags and B, it didn't feel right moving backwards in both mileage and age from my 599.

My forever 599:

[​IMG]

Fast forward to now. Seemingly overnight I put not only a third gen in my garage but also a 4th gen. I had been watching a fully outfitted touring third gen sit on craigslist for a few months that was about 3 hours from me. The price was more than I wanted to pay and it was just far enough away that I couldn't bring myself to go look at it. After time went by and the price came down I engaged in communication with the seller, offered him an amount that even I was ashamed of doing, he accepted and at that point there was no way I could say no. (the offer was only low because you can purchase 5th and even 6 gens very cheaply now) Anyway, upon picking it up most of the accessories needed attention, the bike had clearly been sitting and did not run very well at all and the bodywork did not look near as nice as the pics would have allowed (mismatch colors aside). Either way, the accessories alone were worth what I paid for the bike. After a carb rebuild with a Lite Tek kit, a decent amount of work with some plastifix, all new fluids and various bobs and ends, the bike runs like a top and completely lit a hunger in me for more V4 and a desire to find a similar bike in excellent condition. (to this point I always believed third gens looked the best. After buying one though the 4th gens for whatever reason became my hearts desire)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How she currently sits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being addicted to craigslist, I more recently found exactly what I was looking for: a single owner 4th gen, similar miles to the third gen I had just bought, with both stock and aftermarket accessories as well as with all the original paperwork, records, etc. I found myself unable to put down my phone as every day I just kept going through the photos and rereading the ad. Though I financially could not afford it after the purchased third gen, something in me just could not let it go. This began a process of decision making with the realization that I could take a small loan, sell the third gen and the parts I did not need, and possibly pay the loan back within a time frame that would prevent any interest from accruing. It did not help that the owner was willing to meet me halfway to sell the bike either, turning a 5 hour drive one way into a 2.5 hour drive. Long story longer, I could not sleep at night thinking that the purchase was possible. I had to make it happen. I had to find a way. Even my wife was on board :)

[​IMG]

After a whole week of talking to the bank, talking to the owner, and making the trip to and from Columbia, South Carolina, I have become one of the happiest men alive and have been sleeping more peacefully than ever. The bike, with the exception of a minor scratch and one small crack, is absolutely mint looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor. My 12 year newer 599, hasn't looked that good since the year after I bought it! The 94 also had all of the modifications that I would have wanted to do myself already done. (EBC pads, rotors, stainless lines, racetech gold valve forks, upgraded rear shock, fresh tires, new clutch pack, new fluids, carbs cleaned and balanced, corbin seat, factory cowl, aftermarket shield, exhaust etc) At 30,000 miles, even that was less then the third gen. The only disappointment was that I would need to find some type of luggage system for her. Lo and behold, the owner had a full Cortech Tourmaster soft luggage setup (looked brand new) with custom removable hook plates that held the same amount of stuff my third gen could hold and could be just as easily put on and removed as the givi system. Though it was not hard luggage, the bike was everything I wanted in a VFR from my ideal generation, condition, price and yes even the luggage I was after. At that point, purchasing the bike was the only option I had left. I am extremely excited to introduce what went from a potential financial pitfall to an object I now realize I may never part with. I hope you guys like the bike as much as myself and if you have any interest in the 3rd gen parts or bike itself to help me pay back the 4th gen please let me know! Most of the parts are rare and have been listed separately but if someone has interest in the whole package I would work something out there as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you took the time to read this adventure, thank you for you time! More importantly I truly feel honored to finally be apart of the V4 community.

Also shown below is another beautiful bike that compelled me to test ride before I could pull the trigger on the 4th gen. It ticked more boxes than I could come up with on paper however it left something to be desired in my soul. With that ride out of the way my decision for the 4th gen was confirmed.

[​IMG]

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    WELCOME to the loony world of VFR owner ship. Nice first post and write up, and double points for the photos, very well done. Sounds like you got the V4 fever by the looks of it , you did quite well. Gota feeling you'll fit right in.. Congrats. now for the fun to begin.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice write up, your ok, Its just a little sickness white.jpg

I missed a 94 from CL one rainy Friday night, I would have gotten it but my old lady had my old car with the trailor hitch installed. Next day I went to Pep-Boys and bought a hitch for my Jeep.

Must have been a few years before a Gen3 bike popped up on CL, I spoke to the owner the night before, and had the tralor hooked up to my old car (not-Jeep) and got it the next day. Never looked back, there is a certain comfort when you master some of these bikes. Life and such is difficult enough sometimes, the thought or prospect of getting involved with a new machine can be undaunting sometimes. These bikes are like old friends to me at least. They do ride different, the 91 will always be my "First Wife" :loco: love the 93 though cause I can take it to work which is nice. Post up more pictures as there are some sick bastards that just wana look at pictures of Gen3 bikes, (dont ask me how I know this so well.) :peace:

4. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Excellent, great post, I really enjoyed reading it.

5. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Welcome, wow two awesome VFRs, way to go! Hopefully you can bring one (or both) to the VFR meet in St. Augustine on May 20, Savannah's not that far away. See link in my sig for more info.

6. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh No! Of all dates, I have a wedding to attend that night. I would have loved to attend otherwise. My wife would have loved to spend a weekend in St. Augustine too! Maybe next time (after the ACE is finally finished) I'll be able to make one.

Thanks for the comments everyone! The third gen is definitely a beautiful bike as well. If I knew someone that could do the paint and body work to make it a uniform bike I'd probably focus on getting that done but unfortunately thats out of my wheel house to do and I would rather pay off the 4th gen anyway.

7. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    By the way, anyone know what I should list this third gen givi rack for? I can't even find old sale posts to get an idea. I did see one for $250 but wasn't sure if that was a fair price or not.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Holy Batman....You have been in the closet since 2011 :rolleyes:
    Congratulations on your new bikes...... :love: The 3rd gen is Sexy.

9. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    haha thats hilarious! I had no idea I joined that long ago. I wasn't kidding when I said I have wanted one forever. People keep offering me $1000-$1500 for the third gen. Am I crazy for having is listed as high as $2200?

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    You can list any price you like. To some $2200 is too much but there is one that willing to pay more if that what he want :rolleyes:
    I will give you $1800 :pound:

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Take it and run..... this would look good at R3.

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow great read and it's about time---- congrats and welcome, your finally home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd consider letting it go for $1800 to a VFR guy. Definitely not to the average Craigslist bro though. What's R3?

Thanks Duccman! Speaking of Ducs, my 4th gen gives me the novelty feeling of first meeting my uncles bright red ST4 with termignonis. I can't wait for him to see it :)

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  15. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    Gotcha, that would most definitely qualify as an Iron butt trip lol

16. NISxMO

NISxMO New Member

United States
    Map
    Well sold the third gen this past weekend as well as a few of the parts off the bike! Definitely a good start in paying for the fourth gen. Also ended up putting the fourth gen through her maiden voyage this weekend with an almost 800 mile round trip including putting her through the paces in the N. Ga mountains.

She seemed quite comfortable for most of the journey with the Corbin seat and performed admirably throughout the journey as well. I did at some point attempt to downshift through the gears and found a false gear (that I believed to be much higher than neutral). When this happened I could feel the shifter bouncing around in the transmission and feared imminent damage. After I slowed to a stop and threw it in first I did not experience it again the rest of the weekend. Not sure what that was all about. Took a few photos when I thought about it but missed plenty of opportunities for some far more scenic photography.

Question: The bike feels very flat and quite low to the ground. Linkages appear factory and I have read threads of possibly raising the rear through THURN Motorsports. Checked out their website but read recently they typically operate via ebay and are no longer around. Anyone have experience raising their tail or purchasing through thurn? Thanks for any advice! (also if you're reading this and have a set of hard bags for a fourth gen you would like to sell count me in!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]