TBR High Mount Exhaust...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Necro_99, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Hey, all. First time posting here... I hope to be a VFR owner soon. I've been shopping around for for one for a while now.

I'm thinking about buying this '99 VFR. I'm going to look at it on Saturday. But one thing caught my eye in this picture:

[​IMG]

Where's the right passenger foot peg? It has a high-mount TBR exhaust on it, which looks cool, I guess, but it must have required the removal of the passenger peg. I'm not wild about loosing the ability to ride 2-up, especially on what will be my sport-tourer, but the bike looks good in every other respect.

So is anybody familiar with the TBR high mount exhaust for the VFR? Is there some way to get that footpeg back on the bike (assuming the seller still has it)?

2. googus

googus New Member

It does not require the foot peg to be removed. I had the same one and also took off the peg just because it looked good and I did not ride anyone.
    Greg

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I just bought a 98 last weekend with a high mount Micron and it did not require removal of the rear pegs. The owner must have the parts in a box somewhere. The bike looks really nice, especially the wheels. I removed the pegs off of my 91 when I wanted to get a racier look to it and then reinstalled them when the boss wanted to go for a ride.

Welcome to the brotherhood!!

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have the 2 bros pipe and the pegs because I like to take apssengers. Also if it doesn't have one, I can highly reccomend the sargent seat. I also have the Givi taller windshield but I dont know if I can really tell the difference since I never had the original.

5. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Cool, thanks guys. I emailed the guy, and he told me that he just removed them to unclutter the bike, and he still has them. Cool.

So, how loud is this TBR exhaust, anyway? I like a deep rumble as much as the next guy, but I don't want to be pissing off the neighbors while it's warming up at 6am either. Also, is it true that TBR cans need to be "repacked" every 6K miles? Wow that sounds like a pain in the ass.

I'm a weirdo, I tend to prefer bikes that are in stock form... Unless I'm correcting a a clear cost-saving design decision, (like a crappy seat or fork springs), I tend to think, "who am I to undo what some very smart Japaneese engineer designed?" I'm always afriad that altering fuel/air/exhaust parameters is going to adversely affect the life of the engine.

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    The twobrothers system I have on my 91 is quite loud but reallllly nice. You get addicted to the sound and alter the warm up accordingly. I used to fire it up, keep the idle slow and creap away asap so as not to incurr the wrath of my neighbors. It was still way quieter that the Hog down the street.

I repacked mine two weeks ago after 23,000 miles and it didn't really need it so don't worry about that.

I have a Micron carbon slip on installed on my 98VFR800 and it is quieter than the TBR system but gets loud when you crank the volume handle up. It is a different sound than the TBR, more raspy and muffled if that makes any sense. The TBR is more raw and crackly sounding especially when engine braking. I love it!

Good luck on the deal!

7. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Thanks! Yeah, I've been shopping for a VFR for a while now. Luck hasn't been with me. They're pretty rare here in Maryland for some reason. Of the three I've looked at, one was an abused POS, one the seller wouldn't come down from his crazy-high price, and one burned up it's reg/rec during my test ride! :p

This one looks like a winner, though. The only possible problem is that the guy has done so many upgrades to it that it's priced toward the upper-upper end of what I can afford. It has this carbon TBR exhaust, a Power Commander II, a K&N air filter, a Zero Gravity windshield, a voltage meter (for the R/R i guess) and a Service Manual. It has 26,700 miles on it. The guy is the original owner, and he says it's been garaged since day one. All indications are that it's been well cared for, fresh brake bads, fresh tires, fresh fluids, etc. He's wants $4900 for it, and considering the extra goodies, that's probably not far off. I'll try to haggle a little, of course :)

I'm putting together a list of things to look for and/or ask the guy when I go to look at the bike on Saturday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

8. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    We already know that the engine will likely be fine so look for the wear items like sprockets and chain, fork seals, brake pads and tires of course. A clean bike usually indicates a loving owner especially if you are dealing with the first owner. It could also indicate someone trying to flip a bike and make a quick buck so check out the story and the mileage on the title etc. A maintenance history would kick ass if he had one! If the bike has been abused it is hard to cover up with polish and wax so look for signs of abuse or repair. Remember "you can't polish a turd", I love that quote. Make sure he lets you ride the bike to test the clutch and transmission as well as the brakes and such. If it feels right then it is as advertised.

You probably already know all this but................

I was very lucky getting mine last weekend! It has 6700 miles, Micron Carbon high mount, zero gravity, K&N filter all for $4250.00. I had to drive 1200 miles with cash in hand gambling that it would be good and it was.

I hope yours is just as rewarding! It really looks good in the picture!

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've never heard that about repacking the pipe. I've only had my bike a few weeks, though. The guy I bought it from was anal about maintenance and he didn't mention it, though. As far as noise, I think the TBRC is quiet, but deep and throaty. It's louder when you crack the throttle, of course. I really like the sound, and I think most people do. I sold a Harley to get this bike, and I am much, much more happy with it. My hog pipe was very loud. I think you won't regret getting a vfr. My biggest regret is the weather has been cool so far so I'm forcing myself to ride cold!

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I paid $3750 for a 98 with 33k miles, but again, it was in exceptional condition. That was actually over 1000 above what I wanted to pay, but I wasn't expecting to get a VFR. I was looking at older 600s. I am very glad I decided to go ahead and give this bike a look.

11. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Wow. Was that what the guy was asking, or did you haggle him down to that?

Man, you people out West sure pay less for your bikes. I see deals like that on cycletrader.com... 6 states away. :frown: It seems like used prices are 10-15% higher over here in the Mid-Atlantic. It's all the "new money" around DC and Northern Virginia. Of course, this guy posted it on Craigslist, which is free advertising. When you're not paying for the ad, you might as well shoot high. If it doesn't sell, you're not out anything.

I'm probably going to borrow my Dad's truck & trailer when I go to look at it. Nothing says "I'm serious" like bringing a trailer & cash with you. ;) I did that when I bought my Hawk GT, it certainly adds a psychological bargaining chip in the buyers favor.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  12. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    The guy had my bike listed in cycle trader and I saw it offered at $4250. It was too good to be true and I almost walked away but then a little voice said "what if"? So I called the guy and it turned out to be legit with a clear title and all. I sent him $500 via paypal to hold it till I could get my ass over to Pittsburgh and check it out. I didn't haggle with him because as far as I'm concerned, the bike is probably worth over $5K. It did have a mouse nest hiding under the intake manifold but that was easy enough to clean out. The previous owner only rde the bike 1100 miles in the last two years which was clearly indicated on the title. It was a garage queen.

I'm still pinching myself!:smile:

It got better when I went to the Illinois DMV and they stated that they have a flat sales tax rate for used bikes at $25! So there I was plated and registered for less than $150. I also had good news from Geico as the insurance stayed the same as my 91VFR for only $197 / year.

It's been a good week to say the least. Now I'm looking for the rain t stop so I can get out for a ride.:bolt:

13. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

Wait... was this the one on cycletrader.com that was in Cannonsburg PA? The one with the Micron pipe? I've been watching that one for about two months now. It was just too damn far away for me, (about 5 hours each way) for me to seriously consider it since I don't own a truck. Sounds like it was even farther for you! I'm glad your gamble paid off!

That's nuts, about the Illinois sales tax, too. Here in MD it's 5%, but if the bike's older than 6 years, you can pretty much make up an amount that you paid and the DMV will believe it.

Congrats on the garage queen!

14. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Yep that is the bike! I just can't believe that he let it go for this little. It was a long drive but I enjoy a good road trip especially if the reward is like this one.
    I bought an Audi in Newark once and flew from Wichita to pick it up and drive it back. That was around 1600 miles one way. Flew out Friday night and was back in Wichita by 9am Sunday morning, totally wiped out. Good memories!

Looking forward to COTU now!

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think that deal was back east. I don't know any bikes with that low of mileage out here in Cali. Here, less than 10k is brand new to me.

16. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

A 98-01 Gen VFR & a Hawk GT... Nice combo, I own the same. You are absolutely correct about bringing a truck/trailer & money. The Hawk GT I bought was 6 hours away in NY between Rochester & Buffalo. I showed up with a full size truck with a 8' bed, tie downs and a stack of $100's. After a 15 minute test ride and a 30 minute discussion about the condition/mods on the bike, I whipped out $3250 of an asking price of $3500 and the guy said yes without the slightest hesitation. I guess the sight of Benjanmin's does that to people.

FYI, I had EXTREMELY bad luck with a TBR slip on. I think they suck and will NEVER use their products again. This is just one persons opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I switched to Scorpion, which never needs repacking, they use a steel wool core, not fiber glass. Think of Scorpion as a poor-man's Staintune. The bike in the pic you posted looks like it's in great condition.

KC-10 FE out...

17. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Come on Necro_99, I'm dying to hear about your bike. Did you see it? Was it nice and most of all did you bring it home?