Temperature Question

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by pontiac_banshee, Jun 2, 2009.

1. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    I have a 1991 and around town driving always ends up with the fan on and running. Even in not so hot here in WI town riding send the temp up so the fan runs. Does not overheat but it hits the current draw heavy as my LED amp gauge goes to instant yellow for low current output.

Is this normal or are their mods you can do?

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    SEEMS normal ....all those fairings restrict airflow to and from radiator and engine, thus build up heat. Radiator depends upon air movement for cooling, either movement of the bike or the fan.

Stop-and-go city traffic is the first place the fan will kick on. IF you see high heat in highway travel, THEN you have a problem.

If you're worried you could always flush out the cooling system and add fresh coolant, which you should do every 3-4 years.

3. pontiac_banshee

United States
    Just worry wart

After having an R/R go bad I get panicky about low voltage readings and the fan sends my LED volt meter right off the green into the yellow. So was just wondering if there is a better fix than just going with the flow (no pun intended)

4. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    blow on it:thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. hondajt

hondajt New Member

Swap radiator fans. Do a search on it.

And yes, changing the coolant more often in high-temp conditions is a great idea.

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Where's Two4one at?

7. pontiac_banshee

United States
    Did a search on Swap Fans and found nothing. Was it in reference to a post on here or ?

8. dale-j

dale-j New Member

Can't comment on the fan swap, Banshee.. but on my 93 I had great results (and I had no fan on it as it was a streetfighter) running more water/less coolant in the mix and adding water wetter. Apparently the coolant is necessary for boil over protection and freeze protection, and also provides lubrication and corrosion resistance - however it is less thermally conductive than water and so reducing the proportion and adding water wetter (a heat transfer agent that improves performance as well as adding corrosion resistance etc) really helped. I think for street ridden bikes they recommend a minimum 25% coolant, I got good results switching 60/40 to 40/60 and adding the water wetter.

Hope this helps, it's an easier first step than doing a fan swap in any event.