Test drove 2018 Goldwing today.

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by dABIT, Mar 3, 2018.

1. dABIT

dABIT New Member

United States
    Map
    Local dealer had a preview/test drive day pre Daytona Bike week. Buffalo Soldiers MC club provided Delicious BBQ and entertainment. As for the test drive WOW! Last time I was on a Wing was about 30 years ago. They were 1100cc 4 cylinders then. Technology on this thing was over the top compared to my 97 VFR750f. Salesman took about 10 minuets to explain the basic functions to me. Even then When I reached the 1st corner I could not find the turn signal switch also the grip heaters were on and roasting my hands could not find the off switch for those either. Low speed maneuverability not to bad, wide bars and low center of gravity helps a lot. Seat height is lower than my bike also. No clutch lever is hard to get use to. Push the drive button turn the gas and away you go. Four drive modes Tour, sport, rain and economy. Default is Tour, salesman suggested to start in tour and switch to sport to get the feel of the difference. Tour felt restrained not responsive after a couple of corners I switched to sport mode made a major difference but not what I would have expected from an 1800cc engine. DCT transmission was very active in sport mode a lot of shifts that seemed unnecessary although they were smooth. Over all not the bike for me. Seemed to take away from the immersion in the motorcycle experience. Felt more like driving a car, turn the gas and go hit the brakes and stop bluetooth phone, radio CB etc. Not a lot more going on between. I'll keep my 750 for now and wait on the next big thing. 20180303_133733.jpg 20180303_133711.jpg 20180303_133720.jpg

Bubba Utah and Samuel like this.
  2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    The torque curve on the graph is more of a torque rectangle, that's cool.
    Let me know when it loses about 350 - 400 pounds. :Laugh: