The Long Way Home

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Jeff_Barrett, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, today was a flurry of activity from the moment I woke up today.

First order of business was to get coffee ... :)

Then I hopped out to the garage and finally installed my Givi racks on to the new bike, the hardware I needed for it FINALLY arrived this week. After that I had to rush to make lunch and make a trip to the landfill with the trailer and my truck. I've had a trailer full of garbage since early spring sitting in front of my garage from when I cleaned it up and started putting my man-cave back together ... the back roads were shit and it took wayyy longer than I had thought.

Pulling the bike out of the garage, I put a tiny ding in the tank as it tapped the door opening as I pushed it through (it's a man door from my workshop in the back of the garage to the front). :( ... thankfully, it's only noticeable to me because I know it's there now. I was rushed because I promised a buddy that I'd help diagnose and fix his Gixxer (charging issue). It ended up being the R/R and he'll have to wait a little longer to ride his bike.

After that, I popped by the nearest Canadian Tire to buy some foaming glass cleaner to keep in my bags. I can't believe how much I missed having the hard luggage on my bike. The tank bag worked, but it really limited what I could carry / wear. Now I can pack my heated jacket liner and rain gear in the cases and have them with me all the time. I can also go shopping and have storage ... whether it be to put my helmet in the top case or if I buy stuff that I need to take home.

... the weather was gorgeous today and I was enjoying the ride, so I decided to take the long way home through Birds Hill Provincial Park. It's on my way home, only live about 20 minutes from it. The smell of campfires and BBQ had me longing for summer to hurry up and get here in full force so that I can go my motorcycle camping trips real soon.

Birds-Hill-Park-VFR-Apr30-16.jpg

Birds-Hill-Park-VFR-Apr30-16-01.jpg

Birds-Hill-Park-VFR-Apr30-16-02.jpg

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Jeff is aboot to become high camp.

3. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    You don't have a lot of leaves on the trees yet Jeff. It's lookin' like Summer down here.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, the temperatures in the morning are hover at or just above 32*F ... the grass is only just starting to peek through with a little green. Daytime temps are in the mid-50's and low-60's.

I think we'll start to see things turn a lot greener next week when overnight and daytime temperatures are a lot higher.

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

What a busy day!! The cases are sweet! Sorry to hear about your buddy's R/R and your tank though. :/

But sounds like the long way home was awesome! Beautiful photos!! You have me itching to get up there...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

6. A.M

And moto-camping is the best...

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I love moto-camping!

The cases were on my other '02 before the accident. I had to get new racks over the winter since the insurance company wouldn't let me take them off the wreck. Thankfully, the hard cases were left behind at the campsite that day. The accident happened in the final hour of our trip, we were heading back to the campsite in Black River Falls, WI for our last night together before heading off in different directions.

8. A.M

That's great the cases weren't involved. What a horrible ordeal to have happen. :/

Why didn't insurance let you take the rack?

I was just looking for a new single person tent today for camping. :)

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Insurance won't let you touch the bike once it leaves the scene of the accident and goes to impound. It's generally a policy that most have - it goes to auction.

This is what I have, it's light, packs up small, and is just enough room for me, my sleeping bag, panniers, and riding gear.

http://store.eurekatent.com/midori-2-person-backpacking-tent

10. A.M

Thanks for the link. Saved it! Looks like one to definitely consider.

Suppose that makes sense with insurance. Still sux.

I look forward to seeing more long way home pics of your lands up there!!

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Planning on take a trip out to the hunting shack which is in a different part of the province.

I'll grab some photos if I do. :)

12. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Jeff

I like the photo. Somehow when a VFR has bags fitted it seems to make the bike look like you have some serious riding planned even if its only to pick up local groceries.

If the new racks are like the Givi carrier on my Street Triple it is well worth re-checking all the mounting bolts now the bike has been out for a ride. When the rack was first installed by Triumph the bolts seemed to loosen off alarmingly quickly - despite being done to the specified torques. Eventually I got so fed up retightening them I took the whole thing off and re-fitted the rack using blue thread-lock on all the mounting bolts, and to make it easier to keep an eye on them, did the red dot trick across the bolt ends. The bolts have not moved since!

SkiMad

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I used low grade thread lock and nylock nuts on my rack. :)

I agree - the racks make the bike look like it's ready for some serious touring. It's so convenient to have them again. I'm able to go shopping, carry layers of clothing, and have some extra tools (god forbid I need them) around.